Upcoming T'au Codex

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
bl4ckc00k1e
Shas'Saal

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#1405 » Jan 15 2018 04:57

SinisterSamurai wrote:Without models/rules, we've got the rest of the Eight, some of whom are biologically or cybernetically immortal, and some who are already receiving the Dread Pirate Roberts treatment. There's Angkor Prok whom we haven't heard from in at least a decade. How long do Kroot live? We don't know. From Warzone Damocles, there's Aun'Do, Sternshield, and Swiftflame, the latter two received a fluffing treatment in the recent T'au painting Guide. And we've got the Forge World characters, and probably a dozen other one-off characters I can't remember.

Kroots live 100 years... in his last years of his life his skin wrinkles and changes color.

armisael
Shas'Saal

Post#1406 » Jan 15 2018 12:39

I have looked at the first Adeptus Custodes codex review.
Just curious, are their toughness come from their super-human ability or their armor?
(They have same toughness as Commander Battle suit!)

BibiFloris
Shas

Post#1407 » Jan 15 2018 04:04

armisael wrote:I have looked at the first Adeptus Custodes codex review.
Just curious, are their toughness come from their super-human ability or their armour?

In 7th (or horrus herasy) The guard statline is 3 all around a marine has 4 all around and the custodes get 5 all round. This means that a custodes is to a marine what a marine is to a guardsman.
As far as I know, the T 5 can be contributed to a combination of armour and personal mass/body.
But there is a good point in here we can look very well to the custodes to see what we can expect because we have similar battlesuit statlines. So hopping the custodes codex is nice and many sources will be too!
All praise the greater good or fall under its might.
Sorry for all of my English mistakes made and to make.

leo1925
Shas

Post#1408 » Jan 15 2018 05:54

SinisterSamurai wrote:Someone mentioned Astra Militarum, but my understanding is that Human nobles have some sort of immortality juice they give out to people they like. I suppose T'au could get something like that for the vets, but I largely suspect it was just GW handwaving and ignoring the issue, and I largely suspect that's what'll happen for T'au.

I mentioned AM. There aren't immortality juices* or something like that BUT with superb cybernetics, cloned organs and sci fi medicine** a human could live a few centuries*** but those are only available to the very high echelons of the imperium****. In the case of the AM characters we are talking about colonels, majors and sergeants, only Creed would probably be afforded all of the above and he is currently a prisoner of a necron.

*there are but it's the one off for the story
**there is such a thing in the Imperium but it's extremely limited
***there are things that can push that but then we are going to extreme and exceptional cases, like super duper biomancers, arch-magi biologists, sainthood etc.
****planetary governor doesn't cut it unless we are talking about a very imporant or wealthy planet, we are talking rogue traders here, or lord admirals (who command enough forces to patrol star clusters).

QimRas
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#1409 » Jan 15 2018 06:18

leo1925 wrote:
SinisterSamurai wrote:Someone mentioned Astra Militarum, but my understanding is that Human nobles have some sort of immortality juice they give out to people they like. I suppose T'au could get something like that for the vets, but I largely suspect it was just GW handwaving and ignoring the issue, and I largely suspect that's what'll happen for T'au.

I mentioned AM. There aren't immortality juices* or something like that BUT with superb cybernetics, cloned organs and sci fi medicine** a human could live a few centuries*** but those are only available to the very high echelons of the imperium****. In the case of the AM characters we are talking about colonels, majors and sergeants, only Creed would probably be afforded all of the above and he is currently a prisoner of a necron.

***there are things that can push that but then we are going to extreme and exceptional cases, like super duper biomancers, arch-magi biologists, sainthood etc.
****planetary governor doesn't cut it unless we are talking about a very imporant or wealthy planet, we are talking rogue traders here, or lord admirals (who command enough forces to patrol star clusters).

Also remember that their method of FTL tends to have random and weird time effects. Ours does not.

leo1925
Shas

Post#1410 » Jan 16 2018 06:47

QimRas wrote:
leo1925 wrote:

Also remember that their method of FTL tends to have random and weird time effects. Ours does not.

Ok sure, and i think that's where they fall back to for explanations.
FYI we aren't the only ones with dead characters, blood angels have stats for a captain tycho (two set of stats in fact) but he is dead, in the AM Kell is dead and Creed is a prisoner of a necron pretty much from the beggining of the 8th (the fall of Cadia).

ErSe0831
Shas'Saal

Post#1411 » Jan 16 2018 07:15

leo1925 wrote:
QimRas wrote:
leo1925 wrote:

Ok sure, and i think that's where they fall back to for explanations.
FYI we aren't the only ones with dead characters, blood angels have stats for a captain tycho (two set of stats in fact) but he is dead, in the AM Kell is dead and Creed is a prisoner of a necron pretty much from the beggining of the 8th (the fall of Cadia).

That's exactly what Creed would want us all to believe ;)

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#1412 » Jan 16 2018 08:08

BibiFloris wrote:
armisael wrote:I have looked at the first Adeptus Custodes codex review.
Just curious, are their toughness come from their super-human ability or their armour?

In 7th (or horrus herasy) The guard statline is 3 all around a marine has 4 all around and the custodes get 5 all round. This means that a custodes is to a marine what a marine is to a guardsman.
As far as I know, the T 5 can be contributed to a combination of armour and personal mass/body.
But there is a good point in here we can look very well to the custodes to see what we can expect because we have similar battlesuit statlines. So hopping the custodes codex is nice and many sources will be too!

Similar stats is pushing it a bit compared to a crisis suit a Custodes has better Ws, BS, save, attacks, leadership, a built in inv save, and are troops... Better off comparing XV8s to killa kans or kataphron destroyers much more similar and kataphron points + a little for fly is what I expect to see XV8s at.

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#1413 » Jan 17 2018 04:55

Images of another Warhammer 40,000 facebook comment indicate that GW feels the T'au statlines are good, and right where they ought to be, based on the fluff.
The rest of the comment seems somewhat...explosive...so I'll avoid posting it directly, for now. But those who are expecting or anticipating stat changes to the T'au should probably trim those expectations.

Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Post#1414 » Jan 17 2018 05:15

Personal wishlist suggestion:

Give Orca Dropships the Valkyrie assault rules, so that we had a way to deliver suits into lines at high points where it is now pretty much impossible. It would also make Orca invaluable at high points, but fairly useless at low.

Shas'O R'Kai
Shas'Saal

Post#1415 » Jan 17 2018 05:29

SinisterSamurai wrote:Images of another Warhammer 40,000 facebook comment indicate that GW feels the T'au statlines are good, and right where they ought to be, based on the fluff.
The rest of the comment seems somewhat...explosive...so I'll avoid posting it directly, for now. But those who are expecting or anticipating stat changes to the T'au should probably trim those expectations.

Hi, can you post a link? I'm unable to find it!
Playing with a short reach since 2007 :crafty:

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#1416 » Jan 17 2018 05:31

SinisterSamurai wrote:Images of another Warhammer 40,000 facebook comment indicate that GW feels the T'au statlines are good, and right where they ought to be, based on the fluff.

I don't know if that was aimed partially at my comment or not but just to clarify I don't think our stats will change merely that comparing us to custodes is a bit pointless as we're far more similar to kataphron breachers

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#1417 » Jan 17 2018 05:47

Nymphomanius wrote:

I don't know if that was aimed partially at my comment or not but just to clarify I don't think our stats will change merely that comparing us to custodes is a bit pointless as we're far more similar to kataphron breachers

I admit I don't really see Tau statlines changing. The only things of note would be Toughness (XV8s won't be T6, that'd be crazy) and BS (Tau aren't getting BS3+) and since those don't seem likely to change, I'd say we're stuck with what we've got.

Weapon profiles, however, I expect to see an overhaul with. Especially the Burst Cannon, Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, and Heavy Rail Rifle, all of which feel less-than-relevant in 8th Edition.

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#1418 » Jan 17 2018 06:01

Expected to be honest, given the ML strategy we were given. I'm curious to see the comment from the FB page now though!

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#1419 » Jan 17 2018 06:11

SinisterSamurai wrote:The rest of the comment seems somewhat...explosive...so I'll avoid posting it directly, for now. But those who are expecting or anticipating stat changes to the T'au should probably trim those expectations.

If it's explosive that's even better, more food for discussion. Post away!

ErSe0831
Shas'Saal

Post#1420 » Jan 17 2018 06:41

Arka0415 wrote:
SinisterSamurai wrote:The rest of the comment seems somewhat...explosive...so I'll avoid posting it directly, for now. But those who are expecting or anticipating stat changes to the T'au should probably trim those expectations.

Think this is what's being referred to.
https://imgur.com/a/9T0IL

(Can't link images from Imgur sometimes for some reason)

Shas'o Shortsight
Shas

Post#1421 » Jan 17 2018 06:42

Stat-wise I'm fine with T'au (besides plasma rifle and airburst frag) . But the point costs are in no relation to imperial stuff.
Smart missiles doing the same damage as twin heavy bolter but costing 20 points more because they exchange 6" range for ignoring Los and cover? I would understand 25 points for smart missiles .
Heavy rail rifles costing 13 points more than twin lascan? Only advantage being +12" range and the lucky MW rule? HRR costing 55 seems more reasonable.
With that changes, Broadsides would be 23 points cheaper and in range of being worthwhile.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#1422 » Jan 17 2018 06:43

ErSe0831 wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:

Think this is what's being referred to.
https://imgur.com/a/9T0IL

Well, they're not wrong. The "racial traits" is a bit dicey but otherwise it seems like the design features we expect for the faction.

Return to “General Discussion”