[Guide] How to Search the forums?

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Crooked Bird
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

[Guide] How to Search the forums?

Post#1 » Jul 29 2011 08:42

If you are like me you've had no small amount of frustration sifting through the substantial amount of data stored on our little orbital. As with so many technological difficulties these days the trouble can often be traced to PEBKAC*. Such is my experience anyway. In order to reduce the Fio workload I have posted the following search guide.

How do I search the forums effectively?
When I am trying to run a search for a post that contains multiple terms I am getting results from posts that don't include all of the terms I searched for. Why is this? The ATT Bulletin Boards search function contains some powerful options to enhance your query if you search for more than 1 word.

Search All Terms
Let's say that your search terms are firewarrior, knife, and rifle. If you want to run a search for posts that contain ALL of those terms, you must enter the terms like this:

+firewarrior +knife +rifle

Make sure to include a space between the search terms preceded by the + This will bring back a list of posts that contain all 3 of these terms in them.

Search Any Term
If you want to run a search for posts that contain ANY of those terms, you would have to enter the terms like this:

firewarrior knife rifle

This will bring back posts that contain the words firewarrior OR knife OR rifle OR ANY grouping of those.
Let's combine this:

firewarrior +knife rifle

You will get posts that MUST contain the word knife but can also contain EITHER firewarrior OR rifle OR BOTH.

Search by Excluding
By searching for something like this

+firewarrior +rifle –knife

You will get results for posts that DO contain both the words firewarrior AND rifle but DO NOT contain the word knife.

-knife –firewarrior –rifle

Would give you a list of posts that contain NONE of these words.

Furthermore, searching Tx-42 piranha, would return results containing the word tx and piranha but not those with 42. For this reason its a good idea to avoid hyphenating your words on the forum. If you must try putting a space on either side of the hyphen to avoid search issues.

Search Faster
In order to get the search results faster, you should also specify which part of the boards you want to be searched in "Forum(s) to search" .

For instance, if you search for anything that has to do with firewarrior painting, you should specify the painting and artwork forum.

Multiple forums can be selected with the mouse. If a category is chosen all forums within that category will be searched.

Usernames
You can further restrict the result by entering a username into the "Username search" to find only posts made by a particular user. In addition to the search terms specified above or without any search terms.

Search Exact Phrases
If you are searching for an exact phrase like 'How to install LEDs', you would put double quotes around the terms: “How to install LEDs”

This will return results containing the phrase "How to install LEDs" exactly as written.

Capitalisation
Capitals are also important and can further restrict your results.

Searching for 'firewarrior' will return posts with firewarrior, Firewarrior and FIREWARRIOR.
While searching for [i'Firewarrior'[/i] will only return Firewarrior and FIREWARRIOR.
Not surprisingly a [i'FIREWARRIOR'[/i] search will return only FIREWARRIOR posts.

Topic Tips for Easy Searches
Lastly, you can make search for other members of the Cadre easier by giving your new topics clear and informative names.

Rather than:

Green Slaughter: Die Ork die! try: 1500pt Tau vs Ork Battle report or: [Tau vs Ork Battle Report] Green Slaughter.

Instead of:

More dakka for my suits? try: [Rules Query] How do I shoot more weapons on my suits?

Your own searches can be made MUCH more efficient by selecting the "Topic titles only" option during your search. This will give you threads dedicated to the topic rather than many topics that only touch on your subject. Of course this only applies if the topic is clearly named as in the above examples!

Well that about exhausts my knowledge of the Orbitals systems. If any others care to contribute further please feel free, guidance of informed Fio is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time.
Crooked Bird

*PEBKAC Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair
Last edited by Crooked Bird on Oct 18 2011 06:26, edited 1 time in total.
I regret what I have not done.

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Re: [Guide] How to Search the forums?

Post#2 » Jul 30 2011 01:20

This is great info Birdy and really helps to remind folks how posting clearly makes searching easier. Thank you!

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#3 » Jul 30 2011 03:45

Very useful for our members. Stickied.

Shas'O

bigted30
Shas

Post#4 » Oct 26 2011 02:50

Thank you very much. I am new (this is my first post) so I will definitely use this to find information on ATT :P Thanks Birdy.
James

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#5 » Oct 26 2011 06:20

Class work, I'll make some graphics to go with this. Worthy of an official ATT treatment methinks!

EDIT : All done, spruced up like a primer.

- Tael :)

Tastyfish
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Oct 26 2011 12:03

Perhaps the example shouldn't include the TX-42, since the software can't search for words with less than 4 letters (hyphens don't count, or might count as minus signs since you actually can't search for "TX-42"). This is probably worth considering when it comes to thread titles, and possibly even the first posts of a thread - use the full name from the codex when you first mention the unit and include the abbreviation in brackets. This will help people in foreign countries and new players who might not be familiar with the abbreviation (especially for less obvious things like BASS) as well as making searching easier.

On a similar note, when it comes to battle reports, it might be worth writing out the points value in full (i.e 2000 rather than 2K) since that allows people to search for reports of that size, rather than having it being an invisible search term.

It might also be nice to note that both the topic and post are "clickable". If you are just looking for discussion on a topic, then the first link called "Topic:" takes you to the beginning of the thread. However if you remember that someone had made an interesting point, or posted a particularly impressive picture, or some stats you want to reference then the "Re: Post subject" link will take you directly to that post within the thread.

Crooked Bird
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Oct 26 2011 09:18

Thanks for the feedback tastyfish. I did note that:

"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: tx .
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 4 characters and must not contain more than 84 characters excluding wildcards."

However I did a search for both "gun"as well as "fly" and received results for both searches. Though as you say "tx-42" will not return any results as a two letter search is not permitted.

Your recommendations regarding topic naming conventions are excellent and hopefully will be implemented by the ATT community or MODs if needed. With your permission, I will edit the article and add you as a contributor.

Thanks for your time.
Crooked
I regret what I have not done.

Tastyfish
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Oct 27 2011 08:36

Sure, I've certainly no problem with that!

Return to “General Discussion”