[Theme - Tactica] Orca Deployed Forces

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
facmanpob
Shas

Re: [Theme - Tactica] Orca Deployed Forces

Post#51 » Dec 18 2013 07:56

boomwolf wrote:Too bad it costs like a small army all by itself though :P

(money-wise that is)

True... I think my entire planned 2000 point army (including masses of FW stuff) comes to less than the cost of the Orca! :eek:

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui

Post#52 » Dec 18 2013 08:23

I just bought IA3 and didn't really wanna buy another £50 book to get the reduced points cost. At the new price I think it'd be a fun list to run some time, I'm already considering ways to scratch build/kitbash such a vehicle. (Thinking Devilfish engines on a box, then details and tweaks from there.)

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#53 » Dec 18 2013 10:20

It is one of the few Super Heavies that we have that I think are cost-effect pretty reasonable.
Formations can not get on it, but every thing else baring allied can.

+ The model is amazing.
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#54 » Dec 19 2013 11:59

Ok, well game is tonight-2K. I think I have thought and written down about 12 different lists. I have walked back and forth on going traitor and taking the AX1-0. I have made a few forms of the whale of Fury out of humor. I have switched back and forth from Farsight too Tau over and over. I also feel like for all that effort I have found nothing that makes me feel "safe". I did post some thoughts here that did occur to me (http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21587&p=275553#p275553)

Nut and Bolt of what I am thinking of running:

Tau Codex(I just keep coming back with the fact that the Tigershark fits the Farsight team and the Orca fits the Tau better. There is just more synergy.)

The army will have elements:

The anchor - The goal of this force is Titan kill and soften the enemy
Void shield generator (3 shields)
R'varna and Riptides/XV88s form a firebase
Raven Commander

The push - Capture objectives and kill the defense
Orca with FWs and Snipers attack the back field.

The map - I place objectives as far from my fire base as I can. Force my opponent to attack away from the objectives.

Yes I give up +1 initiative and risk the Titan. Eh, that is how this cookie crumbles.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui

Post#55 » Dec 19 2013 12:14

I wanna pitch the idea of an Orca-oriented scenario to my LGS. I have an army that arrives by Orca to take a position they're defending. Could be really fun and pretty cinematic.

CariadocThorne
Shas

Post#56 » Dec 19 2013 01:56

CoffeeGrunt wrote:I wanna pitch the idea of an Orca-oriented scenario to my LGS. I have an army that arrives by Orca to take a position they're defending. Could be really fun and pretty cinematic.

I'm thinking of doing something similar, if O'Santa brings that Orca I requested ;)

3x stealth teams and a couple of pathfinder teams with homing beacons to guide the Orca In, with an ethereal and 4 teams of firewarriors with drones.

I'm even working on an 1850pts list for regular games on the same theme.

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#57 » Dec 29 2013 03:58

Orca landing, just in time to wipe the forces of the IG off the planet.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui

Post#58 » Dec 29 2013 05:42

Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of the Orca, roughly? Trying to see if I can proxy it with a Devilfish during a friendly Escalation game.

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#59 » Dec 29 2013 07:00

This shows it next to a number of Tau vehicles. The RV1 and RV2 which are D-Fish variants are next to it. And those are Tetras driving out of the rear door.

38 X 24.5 CM - Nose to rear pods, engine to engine.

It is very big and hard to park.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui

Post#60 » Dec 29 2013 07:40

Thanks for the pics and dimensions. As cool as it is, it's not £300 cool. I wanna try and make a Gue'vesa equivalent, probably from Valkyrie/Storm Talon parts, as I love those models. Either that or just scratch build it.

Return to “General Discussion”