Crossing the Damocles Gulf.

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
kak'ray
Shas'Saal

Crossing the Damocles Gulf.

Post#1 » Sep 07 2014 05:59

Hi, new to all this fluff, so forgive my mistakes and do please correct me.

Up to now I have only played games of "kill all the enemy". We both want to start playing some of the many scenario's.
My friend play Guard, so would seem right to place our games in the Damocles Campaign.

Location.
South eastern end of the Fi'Rios Sept.
Question: Is a sept a region/sector of space that contains many solar systems?

Name.
Question; Does this sound Tau'ish. Fi'Kak Nars. [Hope means ground of sand and rock].
Last edited by kak'ray on Feb 08 2017 07:47, edited 1 time in total.

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Re: Campaign in the North

Post#2 » Sep 07 2014 10:32

Hey Kak'Ray,

A Sept is usually, as I understand it, a region of space named after the major colony world in it. For example, The Tash'Var Sept is the region surrounding the Tash'Var colony world, but includes some other systems as well.

As for the your proposed system name, sounds Tau-ish to me. If you want, there is a dictionary / lexicon on this site you can use, (I use it all the time to make tau words). It's under the Library section, but here is the link;
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21234

Czar Ziggy

kak'ray
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Sep 08 2014 05:38

Thanks Czar Ziggy.
To start with we have a fairly dry planet mainly sand and rock. A sea heavy in salt content in the region that mainly faces the sun and a polar region on the other side "cold-end".

Using this picture of mars at present.
Does anyone know of software that will allow me to build a planet, then alter as scenario's are played.

kak'ray
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Oct 14 2014 03:48

The book Damocles Anthology, contains the story broken sword.
On page 163 quote "Flights of Lifters brought in earth caste equipment."
Anyone got any clue what said lifters could be?

BabaGanoosh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Oct 14 2014 07:41

kak'ray wrote:The book Damocles Anthology, contains the story broken sword.
On page 163 quote "Flights of Lifters brought in earth caste equipment."
Anyone got any clue what said lifters could be?

Beats me, but it would be reasonable to assume that the Tau have plenty of non-combat space-to-ground shuttles that are capable of carrying heavy loads. You wouldn't want to be using Mantas to carry a grain harvest off of a planet, or whatever other goods are traded in the Empire. They would doubtlessly have commercial ships dedicated to this role.

I expect they would be pretty utilitarian in form, maybe something like an Orca, without weapons.

kak'ray
Shas'Saal

Re: Campaign in the northern empire. A new beginning.

Post#6 » May 31 2015 06:05

Hoping to start playing some games in the near future. The guy I usually play against is very heavy armour Imperial Guard. Lots of tank squadrons and flame tanks, which I hate, burn my fire warriors to crisp normally by end turn two.
So to start I've bought a new crisis suit commander yesterday. Need advise.
To fight guard and tanks how should I equip him/her and what weapons/support systems should I add.
Should I have a body guard of other crisis suits, if so what should they carry or do I have drones ? :-?

Kindrin
Shas'Saal

Re: Campaign in the northern empire. A new beginning.

Post#7 » May 31 2015 10:17

kak'ray wrote:Hoping to start playing some games in the near future. The guy I usually play against is very heavy armour Imperial Guard. Lots of tank squadrons and flame tanks, which I hate, burn my fire warriors to crisp normally by end turn two.
So to start I've bought a new crisis suit commander yesterday. Need advise.
To fight guard and tanks how should I equip him/her and what weapons/support systems should I add.
Should I have a body guard of other crisis suits, if so what should they carry or do I have drones ? :-?

Before you start adding extra gear/drones, have a look at what anti-tank shooting you already have and what your targeting priorities are. If the hellhounds are flaming your FWs on round two, what are you shooting them with in round one? Why not start some of your troops in reserve or put them in a devilfish?

Some of the AM tanks will require fusion blasters or Longstrike in a hammerhead if you are shooting their front armour but most of their side armour can taken down by missile pods. A squad of suits with missile pods will reliably take down transports and hellhounds at range, especially if you give the commander a Puretide Engram chip.

kak'ray
Shas'Saal

Re: Campaign in the northern empire. A new beginning

Post#8 » May 31 2015 12:30

Made and painted [house rule can only play with fully painted models].
Three squads fire warriors each with devilfish transport. Two pulserifle, one carbine. Two squadrons piranha [3 in each] one burst the other fusion. One squad 3 crisis battlesuits with twin linked fusion blaster, second squad painted, but no weapons attached yet. Advise please. Two hammerheads, should finish skyray next week. Finally squads of 5 stealth suits, have extra shas'vre with fusion blaster to swap-out.

This link should show you what I'm up against.
http://s3.zetaboards.com/The_Ammobunker ... 7018571/1/

I have 2 riptide still in box from christmas [as didgit bought 2 knights] and another hammerhead to make with commander Longstrike.

kak'ray
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jan 24 2017 06:31

Long time missing.
So start of the New Year and start of new campaign. Now GW has moved on from Damocles, why not play their, everything should be already in place. Oh no not that easy, so any help please.
So first the map to play on. The tau Empire is on the Eastern Fringe of Ultima Segmentum.
Next is the Sector, first problem, what Sector is the Dover System in ?
Then what Sub-Sector is the Dover System in?
So first we need a map of the eastern sector of Ultima Segmentum. HELP!
I've found the Chardon Sector which is mainly Ork occupied. Depending on where you read it's either in Ultima or Tempestus Segmentum.
Another map has it just to the west of Ichar IV and Agrellan {Tau Mu'Gulath Bay}.
There is the Lagan System which had it's population cleansed and it's cities reduced in 989 M41. Next to this is the Dalmac System, again help where ?
I've also found 2 plants claiming to be the gateway to the Dover System Agrellan {Tau Mu'Gulath Bay} and Prefectia {Tau Vas'talos}.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Feb 06 2017 12:03

Hey Kak'ray,

I've been reading your post and I followed the link- love the stealth kill on that ork.

You've brought up a lingering issue with the Tau that all of us have struggled with and that is "where in the what now?"

No one knows exactly where the systems listed in the fluff are because the Tau have effectively gone through three different stages of retconning (the grimdark shift from our 1st codex to the semi-rushed 2nd, the Medusa V retcon and the smash between BL/FW/GW which has never lined up {is tau blood blue? ugh})

But to weigh in and try and answer your question:

I would say that the general Imperial sector that all of the 'northern' systems are in would be the 'Lithesh' Sector with at least the initial pre-3rd Sphere engagements (such as the initial Crusade) taking place in the "Timbra" Sub-sector.

Kronus
Kaurava system
Dolumar
Lagan
Dovar System: Which has Prefectia in it and is the beginning of what has been described as a series of star systems called the 'Gilded Worlds'
Dalmac
Hydass- Timbra
Sy'l'kel- Timbra: evacuated and cleansed by Imperium.
Viss'el- Timbra: an ice world that was destroyed
Garrus/Kleist- Not sure if these are two separate star systems but they were human colonies and the first victims of the initial Damocles Crusade. They might now be apart of the 'Enclaves' region.
Agrellan- Now Mu'gulath Bay
Prefectia/Vas'talos: Contested
~Good Hunting

kak'ray
Shas'Saal

Re: Crossing the Damocles Gulf.

Post#11 » Feb 08 2017 07:32

Thanks Calmsword. Hoping you would reply.
Using Warhammer 40000 wikki I've sort of worked out the Zeist Sector is somewhere to the south of the Empire containing Praetonis V and Augura.
Again using the same source, that the first Damocles crusade was in the Lithesh Sector and that it may stretch as far as the Dal'yth System.
I'm no good at using computer tools so the map that I am working on is hand drawn, tracing from the computer, when scaled to my original map. Would I be right in that Mu'gulath Bay and Voltoris are in a diagonal line between Arthus Moloch and Tinek'la [farsight enclave] ?

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Feb 11 2017 03:42

My guess is that the Lithesh sector is directly 'north' of Dal'yth.

I would agree that Zeist is more 'southern' around the 'Coreward March' region that seems to connect Tash'var (remember that space marine diplomat story?).

Agrellan/Mu'gulath Bay are directly west.

On a side note, I also incorporate the Fantasy Flight fluff and consider Velk'han to be 'east' of the Empire beyond the Zone of Silence.
~Good Hunting

kak'ray
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Feb 11 2017 12:11

This is the latest maps I have of the Galaxy, taken from Dark Millennium, which came with the current rule book.

If each of the small squares represents a Sector, then I would suggest that the whole of the Tau Empire is within the Lithesh Sector. It would then make sense that we are to the southern end of the sector as shown, so that our craft are able to reach the Zeist Sector, which would either be the square directly below, or the one to the south west.

Also found this little gem, taken from 1st Damocles.
"After a 5-month-long journey across the Damocles Gulf, the Imperial Crusade fleet arrived in the Dal'yth System within the Kendral Sub-sector. The outermost planet in the system, Pra'yen."
This would hint that the Damocles Gulf extends further than most maps show, even as far as Ksi'Myen System.

kak'ray
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Feb 15 2017 07:09

Hi Calmsword.
If the Velk'han Sept is to the east of Tau territory, would that also make the Jericho Reach campaign that side ?
Also what is the common term that is used for the 1st Damocles [crusade].

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Feb 15 2017 08:06

I don't think there has ever been a 2nd crusade so:

The Damocles Gulf/Lithesh War

3rd Sphere Expansion: which includes the Zeist Campaign, war for agrellan, Traxis sector war ect.

Jericho Reach campaign would be 'north' of the Velk'han Sept.
~Good Hunting

kak'ray
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Mar 02 2017 06:38

If our Empire is in the Lithesh Sector, then that would put the once Jericho Sector in the square to our right, and probably the Zeist Sector directly beneath us.

Also think that most of the maps don't give a large enough size to the Damocles Gulf. In the Lithesh wars, it took the human fleet 5 months to cross. Rogue trader shows the Tau occupy systems in the Jericho Reach [Jericho Sector].

May I suggest then that the Tau Empire is more to the centre of the bottom of the Sector, with a large stretch of the Damocles gulf to the left and top of the Sector.

If the Zeist Sector is directly beneath ours, that is the area in which the Van Grothes Rapidity is shown, which then would put Madusa V in this same Sector.

Would welcome any comments.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#17 » Apr 01 2017 01:58

Medusa V is tricky as it's been retconned and may or may not exist anymore.

Medusa V was described, in its own fluff and in the Dark Stars campaign, as a world under attack from the Third Sphere elements pushing 'west' or 'coreward'. Now, all of that was written before the newest fluff which has Shadowsun stranded beyond a burning gulf.

But, since Medusa V happened after the 13th Black Crusade (technically) that might mean that Shadowsun could have migrated to the region we know as the Coreward Marches near Tash'var heading toward Ultramar.

A lot of the stellar cartography is conjecture, but I do tip my hat to you trying to suss it out.
~Good Hunting

Return to “General Discussion”