Crossing the Damocles Gulf.

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
kak'ray
Shas'Saal

Re: Crossing the Damocles Gulf.

Post#11 » Feb 08 2017 07:32

Thanks Calmsword. Hoping you would reply.
Using Warhammer 40000 wikki I've sort of worked out the Zeist Sector is somewhere to the south of the Empire containing Praetonis V and Augura.
Again using the same source, that the first Damocles crusade was in the Lithesh Sector and that it may stretch as far as the Dal'yth System.
I'm no good at using computer tools so the map that I am working on is hand drawn, tracing from the computer, when scaled to my original map. Would I be right in that Mu'gulath Bay and Voltoris are in a diagonal line between Arthus Moloch and Tinek'la [farsight enclave] ?

Calmsword
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Feb 11 2017 03:42

My guess is that the Lithesh sector is directly 'north' of Dal'yth.

I would agree that Zeist is more 'southern' around the 'Coreward March' region that seems to connect Tash'var (remember that space marine diplomat story?).

Agrellan/Mu'gulath Bay are directly west.

On a side note, I also incorporate the Fantasy Flight fluff and consider Velk'han to be 'east' of the Empire beyond the Zone of Silence.
~Good Hunting

kak'ray
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Feb 11 2017 12:11

This is the latest maps I have of the Galaxy, taken from Dark Millennium, which came with the current rule book.

If each of the small squares represents a Sector, then I would suggest that the whole of the Tau Empire is within the Lithesh Sector. It would then make sense that we are to the southern end of the sector as shown, so that our craft are able to reach the Zeist Sector, which would either be the square directly below, or the one to the south west.

Also found this little gem, taken from 1st Damocles.
"After a 5-month-long journey across the Damocles Gulf, the Imperial Crusade fleet arrived in the Dal'yth System within the Kendral Sub-sector. The outermost planet in the system, Pra'yen."
This would hint that the Damocles Gulf extends further than most maps show, even as far as Ksi'Myen System.

kak'ray
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Feb 15 2017 07:09

Hi Calmsword.
If the Velk'han Sept is to the east of Tau territory, would that also make the Jericho Reach campaign that side ?
Also what is the common term that is used for the 1st Damocles [crusade].

Calmsword
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Feb 15 2017 08:06

I don't think there has ever been a 2nd crusade so:

The Damocles Gulf/Lithesh War

3rd Sphere Expansion: which includes the Zeist Campaign, war for agrellan, Traxis sector war ect.

Jericho Reach campaign would be 'north' of the Velk'han Sept.
~Good Hunting

kak'ray
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Mar 02 2017 06:38

If our Empire is in the Lithesh Sector, then that would put the once Jericho Sector in the square to our right, and probably the Zeist Sector directly beneath us.

Also think that most of the maps don't give a large enough size to the Damocles Gulf. In the Lithesh wars, it took the human fleet 5 months to cross. Rogue trader shows the Tau occupy systems in the Jericho Reach [Jericho Sector].

May I suggest then that the Tau Empire is more to the centre of the bottom of the Sector, with a large stretch of the Damocles gulf to the left and top of the Sector.

If the Zeist Sector is directly beneath ours, that is the area in which the Van Grothes Rapidity is shown, which then would put Madusa V in this same Sector.

Would welcome any comments.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui

Post#17 » Apr 01 2017 01:58

Medusa V is tricky as it's been retconned and may or may not exist anymore.

Medusa V was described, in its own fluff and in the Dark Stars campaign, as a world under attack from the Third Sphere elements pushing 'west' or 'coreward'. Now, all of that was written before the newest fluff which has Shadowsun stranded beyond a burning gulf.

But, since Medusa V happened after the 13th Black Crusade (technically) that might mean that Shadowsun could have migrated to the region we know as the Coreward Marches near Tash'var heading toward Ultramar.

A lot of the stellar cartography is conjecture, but I do tip my hat to you trying to suss it out.
~Good Hunting

Return to “General Discussion”