A note on Etiquette, or (How to thrive on ATT)

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
J'Kaara Nan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

A note on Etiquette, or (How to thrive on ATT)

Post#1 » Jan 30 2015 05:02

:Welcome to Advanced Tau Tactica:

This, my friends, is a friendly note from an old member, to both new recruits and to old veterans.

I have noticed in the past few months an increasing number of people joining, posting new profiles and saying hi, or even braving the forum by moving from simple lurking to posting a topic. Wonderful!

However, I have also noticed a rising trend alongside it, and that is the purpose of this note. In simple synopsis, this note condenses the "primers" you may have missed and explains why these are so important.

The goal of ATT can be summed up into two basic premises: Progressive conversation and Intelligent conversation, and it is expected that in any conversation, respect and effort are applied to both the topic and the poster. Simply put, writings on this site should reflect both active effort, and active manners.

Understand that senior members pointing out flaws or mishaps are not scolding or being unfriendly, as the Shas'Ui rank or higher in our profile reflects that our activity and values reflects the sites goals. We are simply asking that the post be modified to meet certain standards, in a usually calm and simple manner. When a member asks you to clarify a post, or correct grammar and spelling, etc etc, they are taking the role of teacher, in an effort to help you raise your own quality on this site.

That said, stern responses or even locks/bans WILL result from foul language, threatening words or continued low quality posts. At some point, a teacher must become protector, and this site is worth protecting.

Advanced Tau Tactica is not a casual forum, an army list comparing site, and it is certainly not an idle community. Here we push discussion of strategy and thought, rather than simply "whats better than unit X". We encourage army logs and lore development and pursuit of the hobby.

After all, there is a reason this is Advanced Tau Tactica, not just "Tau Tactica". Standards are standards. Obviously exceptions exist for those who are not native speakers or disabilities or whatever disadvantage is present, but for 95% of us, we follow rules, and so should you.

Treat others with respect, kindness and put forth effort in your posts, and the same will be received. Read the Primers after you have read this, if you haven't already. If it's been a while, maybe brush up on them. It only takes a few minutes, and it will improve your time here.

Thank you for reading,
-J'Kaara Nan

:Easy links to some good reads:
http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9765 -Primers-
http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=13483 -How to succeed-
Enclave of the 7 Swords: 12-5-2

Deepstrike
Shas

Re: A note on Etiquette, or (How to thrive on ATT)

Post#2 » Jan 30 2015 07:25

Thank you for posting such a concise, neatly collected vision of what it is that ATT stands for... I couldn't help but nod my head as I was reading, agreeing with you 100%.

Cheers mate

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#3 » Jan 30 2015 08:20

This is precisely what ATT is all about. Ranks are earned, not brought about by post count. Shas'O J'Kaara Nan's equating the senior ranks to teachers is a rather accurate way of describing how the format works here. We are protective of our standards and we do give opportunity for "miscreants" to better their production of posting, but there comes a time for action when the polite requests to fit in with the site rules are not being followed.

On behalf of the Admins and Moderators team, I would like to say a public thank you to Shas'O J'Kaara Nan for his excellent summing up of ATT's ideals.

Stickied.

Shas'O Eiglepulper.

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Jan 31 2015 01:41

I can entirely agree with the statements made in this thread. I in fact am living proof that "miscreants" can succeed here on ATT. A long time ago (maybe not as long as some others) I was once a 'saal or lurker on ATT.

After posting and being corrected a few times and really soaking up what it means to be a part of this community I learned that I needed to improve myself to be a positive influence on this forum. I then started with a member profile, and then created a thread listing my army giving detailed images and in-depth descriptions of each unit. I built onto that with positive and helpful feedback on other's threads. After that I continued by adding fluff stories that I wrote, creating how to guides and had many healthy rules discussions with other members.

After all that, over time I earned respect and was promoted to a 'ui. It wasn't long thereafter I was granted minimal Mod powers and was allowed to put together large army guides on how to attack a specific armies weakness and how to defend against their strengths.

A long time coming and I'm still here a mentor to some, a peer to others, and a brother to all on Advanced Tau Tactica. So you see my fellow commanders, that success on ATT is all about putting aside your pride and to better yourself and become more than just a player. To become a leader amongst the Lions that make up the Tau Faction. Become a member of this community and you will not regret it, I can promise you that.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#5 » Jan 31 2015 05:54

Excellent post Shas'O J'Kaara Nan.

All who just visit ATT, wish to join, or are already members can also see a summary of the requirements expected of members every time they visit the home page.

Announcement.
Advanced Tau Tactica is a content-driven, peer-review website that exists to promote the development of serious-minded, user-submitted articles and projects. Although a sense of community is encouraged (and prevalent), ATT exists for people who prefer to socialize through shared development rather than idle chit-chat. This sense of focus is at the core of our mission statement. We strive to maintain very high standards so that those who share these standards may collaborate with their peers without distraction.

Well-written, respectful dialogue is part of what distinguishes ATT, and we take it very seriously. Anyone can join ATT, but if you want to participate, you must make the effort to participate well. The following is a summary of our Member Guidelines and Expectations:

1) Treat each other with respect whilst using family-appropriate language.
2) Post with substance or not at all (includes proper spelling and grammar).
3) Post only what you know. If you're unsure about something, look it up.
4) Stay on topic.
5) Ask/search before you propose the Next Big Thing.
6) Post in existing topics rather than starting new ones.
7) Be ethical.
8) Respect intellectual property rights.
9) Avatars : 80x80 pixels in size, non-animated.
10) Signatures are limited to 55 characters.

The Admin team may warn, delete, or ban users whose posts consistently fail to meet the criteria explained in our Membership Primers, which all members of ATT are expected to have read and understood before posting. Reasonable allowances will be made for those members for whom English is a second language.

Deepstrike
Shas

Post#6 » Jan 31 2015 01:42

Shas'Ui J'Kaara Nan, I wanted to be the first to congratulate you on your new promotion! ;)

There is a myth in the Canadian Military that when the Queen is conducting inspection, if she mistakes your rank, you're entitled to that rank as the Queen, OBVIOUSLY, can't be wrong...

So far, I have seen two higher ranking Shas name you as the 'O, that you appear to be working your way to quite well.

As I said previously, what you said is beautifully summed up and extremely easy to read. Very few people can say so much, without actually having to break it down so a layman can understand.

Again, very well done and I look forward to seeing you promoted for real in the very near future! :D

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#7 » Jan 31 2015 02:34

This is the sort of problem you get when you have a rank already in your user name Shas'la Shas'o Deepstrike ;)

Deepstrike
Shas

Post#8 » Jan 31 2015 10:46

Lol...My original name was after my armies commander and I didn't realize at that time that everyone was given rank...

I was trying to figure out how to take it out without any major issues. Still not sure how to do it or if it can be done. ;)

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#9 » Feb 01 2015 08:29

It can be done by an Admin. Do you want to be known as Deepstrike?

E.

Deepstrike
Shas

Post#10 » Feb 01 2015 05:39

Yes please! I would like it if only to avoid the same confusion such as what has occurred with our very gifted friend, and thank you for letting me know this, and hopefully taking care of it for me.

:biggrin:

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#11 » Feb 01 2015 06:35

As requested, so shall it be. Abracadabra!

E.

Deepstrike
Shas

Post#12 » Feb 01 2015 09:31

LOL! Thank you very much, very much appreciated.

linuxnavigator
Shas

Post#13 » Jun 11 2015 06:09

FORUM MODERATES PLEASE NOTE:

I have to express my vote of mistrust on the attitude expressed by the forum moderator "Kor'Vre - modelglue".

It is very rude to modify other people's posts and after block the thread especially when there was no ill intention. If anything, he could just ask me to remove or edit whatever he found offensive and I would have done so.
Not only did he pass a poor judgement on myself, he paid lip service to the very own forum rules. The rule on selling stuff is quite clear and is independent on one's activity in this forum. In fact, I find it quite mind blogging that he went into wasting his time by looking at my past contributions. This policing is akin to a "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal to others" situation.

For me, this is a fine case of wrong attitude, bad management and creates unnecessary distrust in the community. Should my post be edited again. Please note I saved it and will post it again on other community forums to show how one is treated. In the end one has to consider whether this attitude is acceptable at all!

Kind Regards
LN

N.B.
Dear Kor'Vre, do please understand what the term "community" really means!

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#14 » Jun 11 2015 07:46

linuxnavigator wrote:N.B.
Dear Kor'Vre, do please understand what the term "community" really means!

Did you read the part where it says:
The Administrator and Moderator Staff of Advanced Tau Tactica reserves the right to delete posts and even ban users with little to no warning - for any reason. Those who are socially incompatible with ATT's Standards will be dealt with on a member-to-member basis with varying levels of action taken as deemed necessary at the time.

Citing the community is a bit of a low kick there linux, considering your one and only post was to dump your models. I explained my stance.

J'Kaara Nan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Jun 12 2015 12:06

I was surprised to see my post pop again lol.

This could have also been handled via a PM as you noted yourself.

I understand your issue, but remember that here at ATT, we pride ourselves on, in fact, being a totally content driven community first and foremost.

As noted in this post you chose to revive, moderators and admins on this site make their judgments based on the idea of being both teachers and shepherds. Though I am not in tune with the conflict you are referring to in your post, modelglues stature within these forums leads me to believe he most likely acted in the right.

Your actions would have been better directed towards hisself and another moderator for discussion, rather than on an old "how to be an ATT member" note.
Enclave of the 7 Swords: 12-5-2

Deepstrike
Shas

Post#16 » Jun 12 2015 07:28

Linuxnavigstor, this is mostly for your benefit.

I saw your post and didn't think anything of it at the time, because there was another post selling pieces of their collection as well. When your post got locked, I had to take a look and figure out what was going on...

What Modelglue was trying to explain to you is that you have absolutely zero history with ATT. suddenly, out of the blue, there is a post for your models and your services.

Now, with that in mind, imagine a guy walking into a school yard, with a trench coat and he walks up to you. You have never met him, have never seen him around and suddenly he opens up his trench coat and says, "hey, do you want to buy a watch?".

In his collection, he's got what APPEAR to be rollex watches and whatever other kind of super expensive watch you can think of.... You can say yes all you want, but the fact is, you'll never know what you're getting, nor from who, or what you're getting into.

The reason I used a schoolyard apology, and children I might add, is because, using this example, you have to make a decision, but before yo do, a teacher notices said individual and before he can do ANY harm, he asks him to leave. This is done because his job is to protect his charges.

So, going back to what happened. Modelglue asked you to cease, but the other gentleman he didn't do anything about. The difference? The other gentleman was an active member. We all knew him to some extent.

Modelglue's job as a mod is to "Shepard and teach", as the saying goes. Part of that job is to protect. ATT takes their site very seriously and wants to protect their interests and their integrity, and it's well within their rights to do so.

As a first post, you shouldn't have just come on, and asked for people to buy your stuff... It's very much like the man trying to sell watches in my example.

He was well within his rights to do what he did. Also, there are other means to speak to people about this, rather than rabble rousing, which is kind of what I feel you are trying to do with this post.... And FYI, we still don't know anything about you.

Who do you think we would trust more? And TRUST is very much the issue in this case.

De'terra
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#17 » Jun 12 2015 10:33

linuxnavigator,

I have followed your thread and I stand behind modelglue 100%
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

I do believe that none of the posts here are made with ill intentions. That does not mean that they are up to standards.
Your post did adhere to correct spelling, kindness, but the circumstances were not right.

Post editing is only done in case of bad words, malicious URL's or expressing disrepect for other members.
We can't rely on you being online all the time to make the edit.
We have several members who sell / sold mini's, bits on the forums. Paulson Games for example.

But he contributed to our community. Something that you have showed no interest in so far.
Wasting time for some people can simply mean being thorough for others.
I would like to thank you for speaking up since we value feedback and to be honest, we are only human.

I hope that this has placed our stance in a different light and that you may even consider on contributing to our community.

Tau'Va

Biddo
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » Jun 12 2015 05:16

J'Kaara Nan wrote:Your actions would have been better directed towards hisself and another moderator for discussion, rather than on an old "how to be an ATT member" note.

Issues with mods should always be taken to the mods in private. If you don't feel comfortable going to the mod you have an issue with then approach one of the other mods in private. I had an issue with how one of my posts was edited by a member of the mod team once. Even though they were 100% correct in editing my post the mod still took the time to talk to me about it and listen to my point of view on the matter. I've been on several forums where I would never have even been given a chance to have that conversion and trying to do so would have risked a ban. The mods here are a good group of people so if one does something to make you mad maybe walk away for a few mins to cool down and then come back and try to talk to them about it in private.
Want your crisis suits to have hands? try my guide

Return to “General Discussion”