KX-139 Ta'unar Supremacy Armour discussion

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Grogalmighty
Shas

Re: KX-139 Ta'unar Supremacy Armour discussion

Post#311 » Oct 09 2016 04:01

I am inclined to disagree.

I actually own the thing (hell you may own it too), but the ST8 AP3 barrage shot lacks predictability. Now if we are talking about a huge blob of enemies where you can never miss, that's cool, but generally speaking it's not a reliable enemy stomper. The 7 Inch D is ALWAYS handy depending on the enemy. Especially Necron Deathstars and Canoptic wraithstars.

However, if you are facing an enemy with NO Superheavies, with a hoard of low AS units, I can see how this will be plenty useful. If your concern is ignores cover... why don't you have markerlight support? It's not like Ignores Cover is hard to come by in our army.

A good example would be an Orc Mob. Drop the center of the blast on their big vehicles that are surrounded by a large number of scrubs. If it's OT, you have a +3 to blow it to bits from the 10/1 center ordnance shot. Everything around it takes a 7/4 (usually enough to kill hardboys dead) and the 5/5 for the scrubs. EVERYTHING THAT TAKES A WOUND MUST MAKE AN INITIATIVE TEST. If they fail, BS1/WS1 for the next round. This screws just about everything over if it's not eldar.

Don't forget you have your handy arm weapons to boot, usually enough to kill anything smaller then you. After thinking about it...yeah I consider these a worthy weapon.

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#312 » Oct 10 2016 04:35

Again, 7/4 and 5/5 is not something my army needs more of. Especially for 600 points.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui

Post#313 » Oct 10 2016 09:09

Everyone here arguing over which weapon system is best, and I'm just sitting here like, "boy, I could buy that Pulse Ordnance Multi-Driver and break it up into individual guns for some sweet Gue'vesa Basilisks..."

And the Nexus would make a sweet Manticore...

still-young
Shas

Post#314 » Oct 10 2016 10:52

Wasn't the big railgun available to buy at the European open day? I'd have thought we'd have seen rules by now. It's definitely the best looking of the three imo.

Illuria
Shas'Saal

Post#315 » Oct 14 2016 03:41

Railgun up and available to buy on Forgeworld, rules are available to view as well.
Mass-induction targeting rule is interesting, allows you to really try and kill an individual model, pushing for the Deathblow result and trying to avoid the No Damage result. Cluster shells are alright, not great though.
Overall, a reasonable weapon with a specific role of superheavy killing, though I still think I prefer the Pulse Ordinance Multi-Driver

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#316 » Oct 14 2016 03:49

Yeah railgun definitely seems alright. Do the Cluster Shells have to be fired against the same target?

edit: nope! The website says:
"Though part of the same array, these weapons may be targeted and fire independently"
Last edited by Unicornsilovethem on Oct 14 2016 03:56, edited 1 time in total.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui

Post#317 » Oct 14 2016 03:50

Forge World Entry

Da Rules

Interestingly the Railcannon is two weapons. The main mode is a Blast S:D AP1 shot that rolls two and picks the highest on the Destroyer table, so it's good for one-banging a single target. The Cluster Thingy is just some S6 AP4 Apoc Barrage shots with Pinning, so nice anti-infantry, but nothing to write home about.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#318 » Oct 14 2016 04:18

Imo the 'Pulse ordnance multi-driver' outshines the 'Heavy rail cannon array' unless you REALLY need to kill that enemy GC/Super Heavy with that one shot. GW seem to hate Railweaponry :::( (another great opportunity gone to introduce the beam special rule to rail weapons even :P )

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui

Post#319 » Oct 14 2016 05:23

Tbh I never really thought it would make sense to have Rail weapons be a beam. If they're cutting through multiple units they're imparting minimal kinetic force upon each one. You want it to pierce the armour and have the round explode in a storm of interior spalling if you really want to confirm a kill, as modern APFSDS rounds do.

Vector Strike
Shas'La

Post#320 » Oct 14 2016 06:03

Pulse > Rail > Nexus
Gonna buy them all, but Pulse still won my heart.

Ah, someone in the Tau Empire facebook community went to Open Day and discovered that IA 14 won't come out this year... :(
Also, Ta'unar will get a points increase

Return to “General Discussion”