KX-139 Ta'unar Supremacy Armour discussion

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Re: KX-139 Ta'unar Supremacy Armour discussion

Post#31 » Sep 18 2015 07:34

Vector Strike wrote:
gmaleron wrote:Good to know, either way I am thinking the ion arms are the way to go personally. Also I've noticed that it specifically says this is for Codex Tau Empire, meaning us Farsight Enclave players will have to bring an allied detachment to field it, that is if the Farsight Enclaves book is viable with the new codex

Tearphoenix wrote:I find it interesting that the rules are not listed as experimental. I wonder if that was intentional or an oversight?

Noticed those as well. No experimental would mean the IA14 is pretty close... or an oversight. The rules are too crude for a model of such weight as well. I'd guess they forgot the stamp.

And the option for codex... Yeah, that could be a signal the codex won't change its name.

It could also mean that an IA might not too far off, and the online rules might be taken down by then. I also note that it doesn't list FNP or stomp in the parenthetical for Gargantuan Creature, despite both of those being listed in the 7th ed rulebook for GC.

Emagdnim
Shas

Post#32 » Sep 18 2015 08:01

Emailed FW about the fnp/ stomp
" Blasphemy is a victimless crime"

KuroRyu
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#33 » Sep 18 2015 08:01

Also I've noticed that it specifically says this is for Codex Tau Empire, meaning us Farsight Enclave players will have to bring an allied detachment to field it, that is if the Farsight Enclaves book is viable with the new codex

Farsight enclaves take options from Codex Tau Empire, after all FSE is a supplement, not a codex in its own right. I would imagine that if they release a differently named tau codex they'll errata the FSE book to say 'replace all instances of Tau Empire codex with [insert new codex name here]'
Last edited by KuroRyu on Sep 18 2015 08:04, edited 1 time in total.

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#34 » Sep 18 2015 08:02

Forgeworld has given the impression in emails that the 'experimental' stamp doesn't really apply anymore. After all, it is something of an outdated concept from when Forgeworld wasn't normally allowed in regular 40k. The Knight variants didn't get 'experimental' stamps when their rules hit either.

It doesn't seem like the 'Titan Killer' that we were expecting. It only has access to one D weapon, which is an amazing weapon but isn't going to be killing very many Imperial Knights right away. The barrage mode actually reminds me of the old R'varna. Looks like it will absolutely punish anything that groups together, no matter what it is.

I find it quite interesting that the WS is 3 and that the BS is 4. It makes those high volume arm-mounted weapons much more attractive. The shield is also hilarious (again, similar to the old R'varna) and I can already hear the rage. Halving the lucky 6 from a D weapon makes this model much more viable in non-apocalypse games.
The overwatch defense is fantastic as well. 16 twin-linked BS2 pulse shots is nothing to sneeze at.

And for 600 points, it is quite reasonable. The Tesseract Vault is only a little less in points. A wraithknight is half the points, but everyone thinks the WK is a bit on the cheap side. Plus even two WK would have trouble killing the KX-139 while the KX-139 can kill a WK per turn, easy. You could buy 3 Riptides instead of this bad boy, but I think it actually doesn't sound like that bad of a tradeoff to me, considering the firepower this thing has.

jay170788
Shas

Post#35 » Sep 18 2015 08:09

One thing that seems a little off is that the vigilance defence system says it has two twin-linked burst cannons and two smart missile systems. The smart missile systems aren't stated as twin-linked but on the model they clearly look twin-linked, am hoping this is just an oversight.

Jay
Veritas Vos Liberabit

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#36 » Sep 18 2015 08:12

Krewl wrote:Well, that's my 3rd post here. I just love the model, I'm getting this for my birthday. (Sadly that's half a year away..)
I have not seen any rules for that 5 barrel gun, posted earlier in this thread. The Fusion gun has 5 shots, but the pictured one does not look like Tau Fusion to me.

They look more like XV9's fusion weapons. There are no other arm configurations, so the 5-barrel gun is the melta one (not very good in my view - 10 meltas can be easily arranged in 5 crisis suits...)

XV566
Shas

Post#37 » Sep 18 2015 08:12

hmmm... I don't see supporting fire on there anywhere. Wonder if that's on purpose.

Emagdnim
Shas

Post#38 » Sep 18 2015 08:23

I was expecting more random fusion cascade style. So which do we think us better ? The variety of the ion which can put out 3x las cannons shots at 60 or the fusion which pumps out 5 mm shots ?.

It also sounds like you could have one of each arm ?

Deepstrike
Shas

Post#39 » Sep 18 2015 08:26

XV566 wrote:hmmm... I don't see supporting fire on there anywhere. Wonder if that's on purpose.

It only has supporting fire for the counterpoint Defence system... Albeit at bs 2.... ;)

Emagdnim
Shas

Post#40 » Sep 18 2015 08:27

It has over watch , can't see supporting fire mentioned

Deepstrike
Shas

Post#41 » Sep 18 2015 08:30

Emagdnim wrote:I was expecting more random fusion cascade style. So which do we think us better ? The variety of the ion which can put out 3x las cannons shots at 60 or the fusion which pumps out 5 mm shots ?.

Personally I would rather keep this thing as far away from close combat as possible, so the ion weapon arms are my choice and you can get 6 X str 7 ap 3 shots too at a much greater range.

I'm wondering if the Fusion cascade will be taking on these rules for the XV-9 in IA 14? (Changing it to be more like a Multi-melta)

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#42 » Sep 18 2015 08:33

1) We should have a KX-139 painting competition.
2) Ordered
3) Amazing amount of power for the points, very excited to field it. (AX10 sits in corner crying with the red head tigershark)
Last edited by Vay on Sep 18 2015 08:51, edited 1 time in total.
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

Minigiant
Shas

Post#43 » Sep 18 2015 08:38

Emagdnim wrote:I was expecting more random fusion cascade style. So which do we think us better ? The variety of the ion which can put out 3x las cannons shots at 60 or the fusion which pumps out 5 mm shots ?.

Ion Cannons I think are the way to go, will be interesting to see what future arm weapons are released

Gamgee
Shas

Post#44 » Sep 18 2015 08:44

Yeah the fusion things are way too short ranged.
Great Strength, Great Strike ~ Shas'o Or'es'ka

Emagdnim
Shas

Post#45 » Sep 18 2015 08:47

I'd love some rail arms if they were packing the D rail cannon lol.

I'm hoping the TS gets a boost as I love mine. Just needs a few more hull points and the weapons changing from TL to single and like the manta I'd love to see its burst be long barrelled.

Anyhoo back to thread. I'd be tempted to have one of each arm for flexibility. The ion could remove voids then the D and fusion to do the hurting

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#46 » Sep 18 2015 08:52

Man this was a glorious thing to wake up to. I'm excited and the rules are excellent. The only thing I'm a bit curious about are the lack of an overcharge option for the ion weapons. Indicator of what's happening with the new TE codex? Or just similar to the Manta, where high-end ion weaponry doesn't get the overcharge rule.

Vector Strike wrote:Underwhelming. Expected at least 3 Strength D Large Blasts and blast options for the arm weapons. The melta one is too short-ranged to work with, while the ion weapon can be done as well by 4 riptides (with longer range and ap2, albeit at 740p minimum).

Maybe? I'm honestly not sure what I expected and I'm not convinced Tau need a plethora of Str D to win. I haven't had it yet and I still do fine against the likes of Eldar and IK. This things firepower is immense, and much more than a standard riptide. Keep in mind that unlike a riptide, this platform can do direct fire *and* blast in the same turn.

One thing I noticed was in the description, it does state explicitly that "It is intended to meet a threat that the Tau Empire has not yet prepared for; the defence of worlds within their growing domain from the counter-expansion forces of other races."

This seems to indicate that the fluff of the Tau is evolving. There was a discussion earlier about how this would be integrated into the Tau forces and this would seem to answer that, at least in a preliminary sense.

As to the lack of supporting fire, I can think of two things. 1) Tau Gargantuan Creatures aren't allowed to have it or 2) It is an indication of what is to come in the new TE book. (This has happened before. Remember targeting arrays on crisis suits? First appeared in IA 3.)

I'm glad people were able to buy this. I don't know when I'll get my hands on one but I want it bad.

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#47 » Sep 18 2015 09:14

Not at all impressed by the ruleset.

Though efficient shooting power, it's just more Str7/8 spam on a faction that has way to many Str7/8 options.
Str 9 Ion option is interesting, and with it being 60' range completely overshadows the Melta-choice. No Get's Hot for a change either.

A single-shot D-Blast? What happened to the tri-barrels?
It'll be next to impossible to miss your target(s) atleast :roll:

I don't see how this is supposed to be able to "engage Titans". Can it even damage them with it's Str8 arm-mounts?
With it's "multi-driver" being a 1-shot D blast/Str8 barrage sounds like you'll be shooting for blobs, rather then single-target superheavies.

-Derp

EDIT:
shasocastris wrote:Maybe? I'm honestly not sure what I expected and I'm not convinced Tau need a plethora of Str D to win. I haven't had it yet and I still do fine against the likes of Eldar and IK. This things firepower is immense, and much more than a standard riptide. Keep in mind that unlike a riptide, this platform can do direct fire *and* blast in the same turn.
I've had some pretty shoddy matches against Eldar and their easy D-acces. ImperialKnights atleast are confined to CloseCombat before it becomes a factor.
That said, I think Tau are heavily lacking on anti-heavy choices. Str8 simply doesn't work against Toughness 8+, and I'm starting to see more, and more ceramite plated vehicles in my meta.
The answer doesn't immedialty have to be D weapons. Let's just say, that HeavyRailRifles being brought down to Str8 feels like a bigger hit with every superheavy release.
Last edited by ShasODerpy on Sep 18 2015 09:26, edited 2 times in total.
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Emagdnim
Shas

Post#48 » Sep 18 2015 09:18

I'd love it if ion changed to this style, instead of overcharged blasts.
Assuming we got something else that was a blast. Rail guns maybe getting submunitions ?

Return to “General Discussion”