KX-139 Ta'unar Supremacy Armour discussion

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
SinisterSamurai
Kor'La

Re: KX-139 Ta'unar Supremacy Armour discussion

Post#331 » Oct 15 2016 03:07

CoffeeGrunt wrote:Tbh I never really thought it would make sense to have Rail weapons be a beam. If they're cutting through multiple units they're imparting minimal kinetic force upon each one. You want it to pierce the armour and have the round explode in a storm of interior spalling if you really want to confirm a kill, as modern APFSDS rounds do.
Not to mention the nightmare of actually trying to line up multiple targets in battle.

Vector Strike wrote:Pulse > Rail > Nexus
Gonna buy them all, but Pulse still won my heart.

Ah, someone in the Tau Empire facebook community went to Open Day and discovered that IA 14 won't come out this year... :(
Also, Ta'unar will get a points increase

I might have read a different post, or perhaps the same one. I was under the impression that the next HH book would be coming out first, but IA14 is still on track before the end of the year.

Vector Strike
Shas'La

Post#332 » Oct 15 2016 10:37

It was the previous rumor, but this tidbit about IA14 came from someone who was at Open Day. Looks like they want to release the new Titanicus game as soon as possible

Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui

Post#333 » Oct 16 2016 12:13

In this discussion comparing the POMD and the HRCA, I've noticed that the better range of the D shot has been considered (important for larger Apocalypse-sized battles, less so for normal-sized battlefiends given the size of the Ta'unar base)... but While being able to fire the Cluster Shells at the same time is a useful ability, its comparatively poor range (36") suggests it won't have quite the same Reach-out-and-touch-someone quality that the POMD's alternative fire has available. It also lacks native Ignores Cover (which for anti-infantry purposes seems like a fairly important element).

For narrative purposes in a centerpiece versus centerpiece battle (which is probably the only place I'd use the thing, come to think of it), I could see the HRCA being slightly more useful in fishing for 6s on the D (so you kill their centerpiece before their centerpiece kills yours), but the larger size of the D blast on the POMD, and the consequent higher accuracy (read: less likelihood of missing) seems like it could make up for that somewhat, while still maintaining dominance against almost all other targets one could imagine.

Then again, maybe that's just me justifying my own purchase, which includes the POMD and dual Ions. :P

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#334 » Oct 16 2016 02:44

I've got mine with the POMD currently and the Fusion Eradicators. Mine synergizes much better with the shorter range of the shells on the railgun array since I want to be getting up close and personal. So I very much intend to be getting up closer and shooting everything I can instead of sitting back which makes the HRCA a much better fit for the up close brawling I like to do. If I wanted a more generalist loadout I would take the POMD and either the FE or TAIC depending on opponent.

R.D.
Shas'La

Post#335 » Oct 16 2016 08:42

Honestly, if I had cash to burn, I'd consider getting the huge rail cannon just as a battlefield scenery piece to be a Tau anti-orbital gun or something. :)

Grogalmighty
Shas

Post#336 » Nov 20 2016 03:49

So I just ordered both a nexus and a heavy rail cannon array. I am a madman and I love it.

R.D.
Shas'La

Post#337 » Nov 20 2016 08:45

Grogalmighty wrote:So I just ordered both a nexus and a heavy rail cannon array. I am a madman and I love it.

How long is the rail cannon (for when you get if need be?)

Grogalmighty
Shas

Post#338 » Dec 02 2016 12:51

Hey guys! The rail cannon arrived and it looks amazing. The cannon itself, barrel and capacitor is about a good foot long. I am sending it off to the painter who painted my taunar. I will post images when it's done.

Also, it's FSE, so have fun finding out how they got their hands on one (spoiler:they stole it.)

Grogalmighty
Shas

Post#339 » Feb 20 2017 12:17

IT IS DONE

Grogalmighty
Shas

Post#340 » Mar 13 2017 12:27

Gather Around, commanders! I have updated tactical information about this sucker.

Firstly, according to rumors, the Ta'unar will be having a points hike when the new Imp. Armor comes out...And I agree with it 100% after my last battle with it.

I faced an Imp-guard player using the 3-baneblade formation, along with a 4th (stormblade in his HQ slot). All I had on my side for Superheavies was my Supremacy Armor.

In a 4000 point game, the supremacy armor killed a spectacular sum of units. It was equipped with Fusion Eradicators and the Heavy Rail Cannon Array.

Firstly, everyone's complaints about the heavy rail cannon array are unfounded. Out of several battles with it, I only missed once because... i was shooting it at something NOT a superheavy (I shot at a dreadnaught). Remember that your maximum scatter is 8 inches, and most superheavies are bigger than that number. If you miss, the dice gods really hate you, or you are being a cheeky ork and shooting it at odd targets... not that I wouldn't...but still.

The mass induced targetting does horrible things to baneblades...or titans for that matter.. or anything superheavy. you have a 1/3 chance of the Destroyer! result, and that result is what erased the Shadowsword from the table, and the fusion eradicators? out of ten shots I hit five times, but penetrated all five times, three of them were 5's and 6's. ONE fusion eradicator destroyed the Stormblade ALONE

Now, this is not to say the Supremacy armor isn't invincible. It took two rounds of shooting with more lascannons then was reasonable, but it did finally die. The amount of time and effort that went into killing it resulted in the destruction of the other super heavy tanks shortly after simply due to the Riptides and Ghostkeels he had to ignore to kill the Supremacy Armor. What did this tell me?

Firstly, the Supremacy armor is NOT a defensive weapon system with this loadout. You need to move close to get your eradicators in range, and the rail cannon is a *BAD WORD DELETED* beast. The mortars ARE effective even without ignores cover (I have killed plenty with them).

If you are looking to be defensive, you can always swap out the arms for the tri-axis and take the driver, however, depending on your enemy, the missiles WILL be a better bet, especially against swarm armies like orks and bugs. (Trust me, the Nexus is GREAT against orks and bugs. Blind screws them over in ways you cannot imagine.) Consider the Nexus to be our Vulcan Mega-Bolter. It's a swarm killer that has the advantage of being really good against normal vehicles. If you are worried about gargantuan creatures, take the tri-axis, if you are worried about knight titans, take the eradicators.

The munitions driver IS good against elite armies like termies, necrons and marines. Especially armies with the big 'decurion' formations that are all but unkillable without the D. With a massive 7 inch blast D, you can surgically remove them from the table while still having something for super-heavy units.

Comparing this to the Stormsurge is a far more complex game then I thought. The Stormsurge is effectively gun. it's nothing BUT gun. It's a giant gun with more guns attached to more gun. Did I mention gun?

Unlike the Ta'unar, there is only really one effective choice when it comes to weapons, the Driver is far superior to the Blaster. Yeah you can get the D and more shots out of it, but the range is pathetic and nothing should -ever- get that close. If you want the D, you have the missiles for it and those should be more than enough to remove any unwanted target from the board (just be sure to have the marker lights to back it up, you will need them.) You CAN take 3, but at that point you are looking at investing a huge amount of points (and money!) into a unit that WILL NOT MOVE and is a HUGE target. Don't fool yourselves, you will be spending the game defending them, NOT taking the fight to the enemy.

Between the two, I would take the Supremacy armor, simply due to durability and flexibility.

Return to “General Discussion”