Custom tau females and "rambo" like guy

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
DiMu
Shas

Custom tau females and "rambo" like guy

Post#1 » Oct 02 2015 06:51

Hey guys,
flying over the google image search I've came across this eBay shop. While I have no link with this guy (I'm from Italy, he's from Costa Rica) I feel his work is quite good and I'd like to share my finding with you. So here's the link to the shop with already accomplished tau-only filtering:

http://stores.ebay.ca/warexstore/Other- ... 1&_nkw=tau

I hope someone could buy and review these pretty looking models!
Have fun

Myrdin
Shas

Re: Custom tau females and "rambo" like guy

Post#2 » Oct 02 2015 07:03

Hey there DiMu

The Ebay shop you found sells the miniatures from THIS SHOP: http://wargameexclusive.com/product-cat ... iniatures/
There are some super awesome exclusive minis made for different factions. If you are unsure about purchasing them through ebay as stated above, the link I provided is a regular store. And to make the things more interesting, looking through it now again after half a year, it seems the amount of items increased, which leads me to believe that these guys keep pumping out more and more awesome stuff :)
A too am considering purchase to give my Tau units some Unique chars serving as a center piece of the unit itself. Almost forgot about them, thanks for reminding me about these :thumbsup:
Last edited by Myrdin on Oct 02 2015 07:32, edited 2 times in total.

Macknight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Oct 02 2015 07:04

I've seen them before, they're from a company called ...can't remember atm; the scale is slightly bigger when next to standard GW miniatures. Not really my type when I think of tau, too individual and brash like imperials in a caste system supposedly all about the greater good, perhaps fit better in Farsight armies.
For the greater good!

De'terra
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#4 » Oct 02 2015 07:14

As stated, http://wargameexclusive.com/product-category/miniatures/ sells these miniatures.

Our very own El'Mo has already posted a review on one of the models HERE

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Oct 02 2015 07:17

I do not approve of these female tau.

Why must the female version of any fantasy (or in this case, space fantasy) race be "blessed" with oversized breasts, and wear either what amounts to a bra, or a ridiculous boobplate?

Heck, all evidence suggest that female tau do not even HAVE breasts. that they are indiscernible to the human eye from the males.

Its not that your base line infantry are all males, is that you simply can't tell them apart. maybe they are all female? maybe about half? maybe there truly are all males?

You don't know by looking at them. especially not when armored.

Myrdin
Shas

Post#6 » Oct 02 2015 07:47

boomwolf wrote:I do not approve of these female tau.

Why must the female version of any fantasy (or in this case, space fantasy) race be "blessed" with oversized breasts, and wear either what amounts to a bra, or a ridiculous boobplate?

Heck, all evidence suggest that female tau do not even HAVE breasts. that they are indiscernible to the human eye from the males.

Its not that your base line infantry are all males, is that you simply can't tell them apart. maybe they are all female? maybe about half? maybe there truly are all males?

Thats a sentiment I can share as well. It is kinda frustrating, for a Fantasy genre fan as myself to see the "mainstream" female Warrior art be exactly the way as you have described - overly blessed female warriors running half naked without any real way to protect them (unless they are Celts of course heh).
There are artists who understand the fact that once you put armor on the booty is completely hidden - As a historical fencer who had the pleasure to run around in 20kg metal suit, in a group where we had a fair share of female members (almost half), I assure you - no matter how blessed the girls were, once they put on the armor, it was hidden. No need for extra special sculpting the breasts on for them to fit (another commonly seen art misconception.), and never had they run around with chainmail/plate bra leaving the rest naked or exposed.
Some artists who create female fantasy art and such get it right - the warrioress wear proper armor (or if not armor at least they don't have those ridiculous chain mail bras etc). So I side with you on this one. ;)

NOW - personal tastes and other shenanigans aside - as far as the QUALITY of the miniatures go, just from the pictures and from Elmos Veteras Shas, they are farily well detailed. I myself ordered theirs Shadowsun conversion - I wanted to sculpt one myself for a long time now, had all the pieces together, but other projects took precedence and thus I never got around to it. Having the option to purchase her makes me extremely happy as I do like the quality (though some customization will take place on the jet-pack I assure you) and will gladly add her to my collection.
These miniatures each have a certain personality which shows on their sculpts. If you had an army of them (you would be insanely rich at that point considering the price per piece) - sure - ragtag human style army. But having one of them as a centerpiece for each unit. For example I plan to use the Pistol/Sword miniature, customized (ofc... you know me by now :D ) as a Shas´Ui for a unit.

As for the "eye candy for men" and overly sexualized miniature design I believe that is a discussion for another place, worthy a completely new topic being made, rather than talk about it here, and as such I wont be going into that.

As for the Non- Tau miniatures I really like the Sister of Battle ones - considering the sisters are all metal casts, pretty much "copy-paste" with almost zero diversity in looks or posing (metal - extremely difficult to customize), I would strongly encourage Sorroritas players to get few of those. Also those Obliterators look incredibly well done. As much as I dislike Obliterators look in general as far as posing, and details go, these are in my opinion superior the the standard boxed GW ones - Again good addition for Chaos players. (Heh sounds like I am doing promotion here, but I always believed in the motto: "Credit where credit´s due")
Last edited by Myrdin on Oct 02 2015 08:29, edited 1 time in total.

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Oct 02 2015 08:15

DiMu wrote:I hope someone could buy and review these pretty looking models!
If you look in the "Reviews" domain on the Orbital, you just might find a review you are looking for...

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#8 » Oct 02 2015 08:45

Store viewed by me in May. Exchanged talks with Tael about including them as resource.
We agreed that they may not need to be put in light because they tend to abuse works by others to make their own money.

2 examples:
- The sniper obviously recast drones and shoulder pad from GW plastic kits (at least they can do the job to resculpt something else...)
- And this particular sniper is very inspired by a NSFW calendar image on Deviant Art by 9th-max, surely without his/her ageement because nothing says he/she was collaborating (on their store or on the artist page).
I left off the fact that they copy most of GW style, as it is difficult to say what is copyrighted (Chapterhouse effect of the grey IP area).

Bitterman
Shas

Post#9 » Oct 02 2015 10:39

I've got all these figures, and they are fantastic. Superb sculpts, and the casting is among the best quality I've ever seen - way ahead of Forge World, and puts GW to shame.

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#10 » Oct 02 2015 12:51

You can instantly find all of the Tau-Specific ones by using the tag, "Greater Good."
http://wargameexclusive.com/product-tag/greater-good/

Myrdin wrote:
boomwolf wrote:I do not approve of these female tau.

Thats a sentiment I can share as well. It is kinda frustrating, for a Fantasy genre fan as myself to see the "mainstream" female Warrior art be exactly the way as you have described - overly blessed female warriors running half naked without any real way to protect them (unless they are Celts of course heh).
There are artists who understand the fact that once you put armor on the booty is completely hidden - As a historical fencer who had the pleasure to run around in 20kg metal suit, in a group where we had a fair share of female members (almost half), I assure you - no matter how blessed the girls were, once they put on the armor, it was hidden. No need for extra special sculpting the breasts on for them to fit (another commonly seen art misconception.), and never had they run around with chainmail/plate bra leaving the rest naked or exposed.
Some artists who create female fantasy art and such get it right - the warrioress wear proper armor (or if not armor at least they don't have those ridiculous chain mail bras etc). So I side with you on this one. ;)

NOW - personal tastes and other shenanigans aside - as far as the QUALITY of the miniatures go, just from the pictures and from Elmos Veteras Shas, they are farily well detailed. I myself ordered theirs Shadowsun conversion - I wanted to sculpt one myself for a long time now, had all the pieces together, but other projects took precedence and thus I never got around to it. Having the option to purchase her makes me extremely happy as I do like the quality (though some customization will take place on the jet-pack I assure you) and will gladly add her to my collection.
These miniatures each have a certain personality which shows on their sculpts. If you had an army of them (you would be insanely rich at that point considering the price per piece) - sure - ragtag human style army. But having one of them as a centerpiece for each unit. For example I plan to use the Pistol/Sword miniature, customized (ofc... you know me by now :D ) as a Shas´Ui for a unit.

I agree with all of this. I find the minis to be high quality if a little distasteful. I enjoy boobs quite a lot, but I do think these are pretty out of place and kinda offensive. There are those who don't even like Big Shas, and feel he's out of place. Zealot Minis has their take on female Tau (called "Kadesh") which I like much more, they are just almost eternally out of stock. And at the end of the day, I don't think adding boobs to tau, bare or covered, really improves the army's aesthetic at all.

As for the "eye candy for men" and overly sexualized miniature design I believe that is a discussion for another place, worthy a completely new topic being made, rather than talk about it here, and as such I wont be going into that.
I'll let a mod weigh in here, but if this needs talking about on ATT I'd actually prefer not to have it take up more topic space. These minis are out there and these minis are the main source of the controversy as far as Tau are concerned. If we gotta talk about this side of the hobby, we might as well do it at the subject's crossroads with Tau. So either here, or a general aesthetic "complaint" topic that encompasses the official new unit qualms, too.

Kael'yn wrote:Store viewed by me in May. Exchanged talks with Tael about including them as resource.
We agreed that they may not need to be put in light because they tend to abuse works by others to make their own money.

2 examples:
- The sniper obviously recast drones and shoulder pad from GW plastic kits (at least they can do the job to resculpt something else...)
- And this particular sniper is very inspired by a NSFW calendar image on Deviant Art by 9th-max, surely without his/her ageement because nothing says he/she was collaborating (on their store or on the artist page).
I left off the fact that they copy most of GW style, as it is difficult to say what is copyrighted (Chapterhouse effect of the grey IP area).

Big Shas is another example. I asked the artist if had any knowledge of this mini and the answer was that this was a complete surprise.
The AnimeShadowsun art has been around forever and has been copied a lot, but I think this is the first sale of that.
"The Gamer" is clearly a genderswapped version of Kais from the coveer of the Fire Warrior game/novel.
I think the Hacker may be based on Ghost in the Shell or Aeon Flux, the Maurader I've got no clue. The Widows I think are just Tau Repentias. I've spoken to the sculptor on facebook (Grim Skull! studios was either short lived and quickly deleted after about two days, or I've been blocked from seeing it anymore), who had a rather disgusting reaction to the accusation. It was somewhere between, "stuff happens," and, "These fan-artists were stealing from GW, so it's okay if I steal from the fan artists." These are top notch sculpts, no doubt, but that interaction left me sour on the whole lot. Full disclosure, (judge away,) I regularly participate in file sharing, but I feel it's wrong to copy and sell. If these sculpts had been put up on, say, a 3D printing community, with links to the original artwork, I'd gladly participate.

I'm still tempted to collect Big Shas, and possibly all of them just to make a unit out of them, specifically. They may not fit in real well with the rest of the army, but they all fit with each other quite nicely. If I headcanon the lot to be a zealous harem, either to Big Shas or to an Ethereal with Big Shas as the bodyguard, I can almost justify the look, but at the end of the day there's too many moral concessions I'd have to make, and I'm not sure I'd ever be able to enjoy the models completely guilt free.

Bitterman
Shas

Post#11 » Oct 02 2015 01:54

SinisterSamurai wrote:Full disclosure, (judge away,) I regularly participate in file sharing, but I feel it's wrong to copy and sell. If these sculpts had been put up on, say, a 3D printing community, with links to the original artwork, I'd gladly participate.

So... wait. No judgement (he who is without sin etc.), just bafflement. You will share (i.e. pirate) files that you would normally need to pay money for, so that you can get them for free... but you feel it's crossing a line for someone to use their own artistic ability to sculpt their own interpretation of someone else's painting?

Nobody's losing out monetarily, here. Nobody at all. In terms of attribution, possibly, but nobody took anything away from anybody else. You can't just take a picture and turn it into a sculpture automatically. The sculptor created his own work of art, albeit one visually based on someone else's art in a completely different medium. And that original artwork was, in turn, directly inspired (if not actually copied) by GW's own art. But you find this more distasteful than sharing files which you were supposed to pay for?

I honestly don't understand the furore. These are fantastic models, enjoy them. I do get the taste / boobs / objectification arguments, and if you can't enjoy them on that basis, I completely understand that. But as models, as works of art, these are superb - and they're no more morally objectionable than, say, Aun'va being a blatant unabashed rip-off of the end-of-game boss from Halo (2, IIRC). Do we have lengthy introspections on whether or not it's OK to buy the Aun'va model? I don't remember them. We take the homage for what it is.

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#12 » Oct 02 2015 02:37

Bitterman wrote:
SinisterSamurai wrote:Full disclosure, (judge away,) I regularly participate in file sharing, but I feel it's wrong to copy and sell. If these sculpts had been put up on, say, a 3D printing community, with links to the original artwork, I'd gladly participate.

So... wait. No judgement (he who is without sin etc.), just bafflement. You will share (i.e. pirate) files that you would normally need to pay money for, so that you can get them for free... but you feel it's crossing a line for someone to use their own artistic ability to sculpt their own interpretation of someone else's painting?

Nobody's losing out monetarily, here. Nobody at all. In terms of attribution, possibly, but nobody took anything away from anybody else. You can't just take a picture and turn it into a sculpture automatically. The sculptor created his own work of art, albeit one visually based on someone else's art in a completely different medium. And that original artwork was, in turn, directly inspired (if not actually copied) by GW's own art. But you find this more distasteful than sharing files which you were supposed to pay for?

I honestly don't understand the furore. These are fantastic models, enjoy them. I do get the taste / boobs / objectification arguments, and if you can't enjoy them on that basis, I completely understand that. But as models, as works of art, these are superb - and they're no more morally objectionable than, say, Aun'va being a blatant unabashed rip-off of the end-of-game boss from Halo (2, IIRC). Do we have lengthy introspections on whether or not it's OK to buy the Aun'va model? I don't remember them. We take the homage for what it is.

I absolutely agree these are technically fantastic models, aesthetic arguments aside. And credit is absolutely due to the sculptor. Just well done. This is a little close than the Halo 2 prophet and the Tau ethereal. This is more like concept art vs finished 3D model. Usually, though, the concept artist and the modeler are a team and deserving of equal credit on the final product.

The part I find the most distasteful was when they guy said they were his and felt the "concept artist" deserved no credit or even a heads-up, and started making money from them. I compare it to downloading movies vs downloading, burning, and then selling bootlegs while claiming them to be legit early releases. I think one toes the line and the other crosses it. I agree it's weird that my line is there. And it is definitely just a line, and not a wall. I could cross it easily, under the right circumstances, it's just right now I hope I don't. I was a Wookieepedian for a while, and that community was a lot like ATT in a lot of ways, but it's 100% verifiable lore there instead of also encouraging user generated content and discussion. In order to keep up in that community as an editor or trusted authority, you needed every source at your fingertips. Even if you bought all the old out of print novels, pirating an electronic version and hitting ctrl+F was just waaaaay easier. Find 10 admins there, or any 10 major QA writers, and I'll bet that I've shared at least one file at least in one direction or the other with them. I remember IRC updates when a major Kaskus thread had something new and big added. I'd be surprised if the Lexicanum is much different.

On the other hand, good on the sculptor for making a living (maybe) doing what s/he enjoys doing. Can't fault anyone for that. And I'd support it gladly if they'd just handled it a little differently in one Facebook discussion.

Myrdin
Shas

Post#13 » Oct 02 2015 03:56

Honestly I am with Bitterman on this one.
Fan art created with the intention of "I wanna do this. I am not making this for money or what not" can be used as inspiration to whatever, whoever wants to make out of it. It is good nature to give credit to the concept creator, but then again If you make your own adjustments why should you ?
I have written short stories based simply on seeing an amazing artwork or fan art, purely for the enjoyment of doing so. Never ever have I tracked down the creator down to ask him for permission. "Excuse me, may I use you fan art in my fantasies made manifest ... in the form of short stories, no hidden pun intended ?" .... lol nope :D

I mean think about it like this - Would you accuse me of stealing Blizzards intellectual property of Protoss Dark Templars, because I made a Kroot conversion ? Does that make sense to you ?
Cause I don't feel like a thief in any way. In a sense I think about it more like a tribute. The original concept was so awesome I just wanted to make (customize) a mini of my own that would be strongly based on that concept.
Example is the Commander Shadowsun Conversion - The original creator of the very first conversion that became so popular NEVER EVER stated that its his own patented original design and no one ever has the right to copy it, or get inspired by it. I absolutely loved that conversion from the first moment I saw it and always wanted to make a similar conversion like that.
Wasnt so sure about my skill at that time, and even now I am not completely sure I would be able to pull that off in such a quality.
That being the reason I find it Fabulous - for somebody who actually HAS the proper skill - to create a high level detail conversion similar to that and make it into purchasable item. You cant imagine how much I was hoping of having this miniature. And with them making it something you can simply buy, they made my wish true. No moral qualms there, I shall buy it happily and see no need to feel bad about it.
I respect your point of view Sinister, but I do not see it as critical morale standard (and I am a person with very high morals if I dare say so myself considering the world we live in these days) issue. That being said we cant all agree on everything each time, thats what makes us human and individually unique :)

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#14 » Oct 02 2015 04:12

If you guys don't see it that way, I can't change or won't change your minds. And I absolutely respect that.

I don't really know how to describe it. Big Shas and the Nude Sniper are the only ones I feel particularly dirty about. Not sure why, but I don't really have a problem with new spins on iconic community pieces like the Anime Shadowsun or genderswapped Kais crouching on a pile of skulls for the skull throne, and I really like the swords of the repentia counts-as and Big Shas's double rail.

Kais'la, the Marauder, Big Shas, and the Hacker are all ones that I want. One of them is semi-stolen in my eyes, and the other three are just a bit too sexy. I could probably fix 'em with paint or greenstuff, but I just haven't convinced myself to make those purchases yet. And I want to use the Puppets War rotor jump pack for Big Shas.

Also, I'm glad we managed to find something else to talk about outside of rumors.

Edit: A while back, Wargamesexclusives was running a few sales. I guess one of the discounts had been punched in wrong, because for one of (uglier) sisters sculpts, the models were being sold for free+shipping. One of the facebook admins decided to "buy" 9000 of them for $5 in shipping. Don't think he ever got them, lol.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#15 » Oct 02 2015 06:00

The part I find the most distasteful was when they guy said they were his and felt the "concept artist" deserved no credit or even a heads-up, and started making money from them.

As a professional graphic designer bound by IP and art copyright - no matter fan art or any other articulation of the term; using a persons artwork in and for profit for yourself without their permission is a breach of nearly all international copyright conventions.

Sadly, this regularly happens when your designs or work have gone online.

This is why I cannot support this venture. The sculptor is clearly talented - he/she should persue original work.

Bitterman
Shas

Post#16 » Oct 03 2015 01:39

He/she didn't "use" the original artwork. He/she created his own work of art based upon it.

If basing an entirely new sculpt on a picture counts as "using" that picture, I am curious of your opinion on this. Did the sculptor "use" Arnold Schwarzenegger for profit without permission? Or did he/she create a work of original art, based upon Arnie's appearance?

Come to that, we all know this is directly based on this (and there are multiple versions of that picture in existence, including this and a number of others, by different artists AFAIK - I don't know who was the "original" artist I'm afraid). Yet those pictures are just as heavily based on this model, as the new model is based on their artwork. Is what the Exclusive Minis sculptor has done any worse?
Last edited by Bitterman on Oct 03 2015 05:27, edited 1 time in total.

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#17 » Oct 03 2015 01:56

Bitterman wrote:If basing an entirely new sculpt on a picture counts as "using" that picture, I am curious of your opinion on this. Did the sculptor use Arnold Schwarzenegger for profit without permission? Or did he/she create a work of original art based upon Arnie's appearance?

At the risk of sounding like a broken record.... Yes.

Anyway, my negative feelings about the models aside, I thought this was a great shot. I laughed pretty loudly at it.
Add to it that the hobbyist has the Supremacy Armor standing with one leg propped up like Captain Morgan, which may have affected my level of enjoyment.

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#18 » Oct 03 2015 02:19

SinisterSamurai wrote:Add to it that the hobbyist has the Supremacy Armor standing with one leg propped up like Captain Morgan, which may have affected my level of enjoyment.

Is there a wide angle shot of that? Because I want to see it.

Cheers!

Return to “General Discussion”