Rule question: Wall of Mirrors

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
K'man
Shas

Rule question: Wall of Mirrors

Post#1 » Nov 10 2015 02:45

When exactly are you able to use Wall of Mirrors?

Since the Ghostkeel unit is the center of the effect and there would be no effect without it, it's natural to require that unit to be present on the table to use Wall of Mirrors.

But what about the Stealth Battlesuit units? Can I use Wall of Mirrors even when these aren't (yet) present on the table? What if one but not both are present on the table? While it's natural to think they all need to be present to be able to network the stealth fields together, I can't find anything in the formulation of the rule that strictly requires it.

I can see this having a major impact on the tactics available, for both sides, but can't find any solid ground for either interpretation.

reconjsh
Shas

Re: Rule question: Wall of Mirrors

Post#2 » Nov 10 2015 02:53

When exactly are you able to use Wall of Mirrors?

At the start of your shooting phase and it lasts until the shooting phase is over.

Isn't the Stealth Suit's ability to get an effect from the Wall of Mirrors contingent upon their proximity to the Ghostkeels? 6" I believe. If so, then naturally if the Ghostkeels aren't on the table, it doesn't have an effect. I suppose the rule maybe could be activated with the Ghostkeels off the table, but it'd be utterly useless without the Ghostkeels.

The Stealthsuits on the table seem irrelevant for the field to work. No such restriction exists. What if they're destroyed? Does it work then? Yes.

They way I understand it is: the Ghostkeels pretty much always get (because why wouldn't you use it always?) +1BS, rear armor, and Ignores Cover in your Shooting Phase... and the Stealth Suits get it too if their unit is on the table and partially within 6" of the Ghostkeels. I don't see any restrictions about all units being on the table (in reserve or destroyed).

Do you have access to the rule: codex or otherwise? If not, it can be found here: http://www.gamestrust.de/bilder,list126 ... mpire.html Image #45.

Recon.
My Cadre Log - [need better pictures]

wilderun
Shas

Post#3 » Nov 10 2015 05:41

Do you have access to the rule: codex or otherwise? If not, it can be found here: http://www.gamestrust.de/bilder,list126 ... mpire.html Image #45.

This is rather odd, the two stealth teams in the image for the Optimised Stealth Cadre are exactly identical. They are assembled, posed and painted exactly the same. Either someone was very careful (and perhaps rather obsessive) when making their models, or GW is manipulating their images to an extent that I would never have expected.

Anyway, the way the rule is written does make the circumstances of its use rather unclear. It seems to me that the entire formation must be on the table, otherwise how could they network their stealth fields? If the units of the formation don't need to be present to use the rule, what need is there of the formation in the first place?

Also, the explanation of how the rule works and the effects it has on the tabletop do not make sense to me. I would understand a "wall of mirrors" functioning to utterly confound enemies attempting to fire upon the formation. However, the units already benefit from stealth, shrouded (double that for the Ghostkeels) and an ability to force enemy units to fire snap shots, so an additional rule along similar lines would be pointless. I feel that the explanation of networked stealth fields does not satisfactorily mesh with greater efficacy of fire, especially such that it can bend around to hit rear armor. An explanation of heightened sensor capabilities would make more sense.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Nov 10 2015 06:09

The two teams are very similar, but not identical. I can spot a few differences.

Anyway, the rule can be fluffed as the target being utterly defenceless, as they know not where the shots come from-so they can't take proper cover and the suits can take their time to aim for the weak spots.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Nov 10 2015 07:33

You can activate it without the Ghostkeels on the table, but won't do anything.

Return to “General Discussion”