Advanced Tau Tactica, 10yrs Old Today - Happy Birthday!

A collection of the best Community hobby posts. Promoted content only.
Kakapo42
Shas'Vre

Re: Advanced Tau Tactica, 10yrs Old Today - Happy Birthday!

Post#21 » Jan 27 2016 05:47

An entire decade already? It feels like only yesterday that I was making my first posts outside the member profiles sub-forum as a nervous new 'saal.

While 10 whole years is a very long time and a proud achievement for any establishment, on the other hand 2006 still feels really recent to me. Especially considering that I signed up towards the end of 2009. So considering that I've been a member for the slight majority of that decade, I'm actually pretty seasoned as far as members go - which feels strange to me because even today, some time after having been awarded the coveted 'Ui ranking, I still feel like the fresh faced new guy sometimes.

ATT was the very first forum I ever joined (and indeed was the first social website I ever joined), followed shortly by the late great Port Maw, and to this day it remains my favourite (with Asrai.org being a close second. Port Maw would be too were it not for that site's tragic destruction). As sad and pathetic as it might sound, the people on here are something more than an Internet community - for the duration of my stay on here you guys/girls have been my friends, even when I didn't have many in real life (which happened disturbingly often, I wasn't the most popular person in high school... or university...), and in a way even a kind of family. Knowing that this place is here acting as a hotbed of creativity and friendly discussion about all things Tau, and a few others besides, is nice to know, and knowing that some comment I posted helped someone or that some piece of content I wrote inspired or amazed or even just entertained someone else can be very comforting after a bad day (especially when they make it known that it did by posting a comment in one of those content threads, like my Battlefleet Gothic log or Into Silence: Rosa Vitae, hint hint nudge nudge).

But ATT has also helped me in another way. Being the first experience I had with social activity on the Internet, ATT was a major influence in shaping my etiquette and conduct on the Internet. So whenever I post on other forums, I tend to do so following ATT standards as closely as possible, which means I generally make sure I always write with as much quality and structure as I can on the Internet - even on facebook! I feel like ATT has made me much more civil and polite in my Internet escapades, and for that I'm actually pretty grateful.

A lot of history has taken place on ATT in these 10 years. Much of it, like discussing and planning moves in the Medusa V campaign (including the invention of The Hammer if I'm not mistaken, although that might have come from somewhere else. ATT was definitely the first place I heard about it though), the creation of the first Academy articles, the creation of the ATT unit designations catalogue, the great war against spam and the aforementioned poor poor space molemen (by the Aun, what have we done in mentioning them!? Has everyone else forgotten that once mentioned, they are destined to completely consume the thread and eclipse its original topic?) all took place before I joined, and still leave me very humbled - even now I sometimes wonder if my Battlefleet Gothic background and project thread or the Into Silence project will ever reach the same immortal glory as Cerberus Unbound or Wolf16's ARC background (both of which are major influences on my own background writing). On the other hand there has been a whole slew of big things that I've either witnessed or been an active part of, especially given my experience as a hardened veteran of all 3 April Fool's battles that have happened so far. What's more, there's still almost certainly many more 'ATT classics' still to come in the future - I know I for one have some very big plans afoot....

Happy 10th birthday ATT, from me and all the fine souls aboard Kor'vattra fleet K-42.

(I would speak for the rest of the ATT Battlefleet Gothic underground as well, but I get the feeling they'll probably be making their own statements on here.)
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui

Post#22 » Jan 27 2016 02:32

Happy Birthday ATT, congratulations founders, and thank you for providing one of the best sites for Warhammer 40k and Tau on the net.

I hope you are proud of your achievements, you've set standards and managed to surpass them. The community that has built up here on ATT is fantastic and focused, a reflection of the guidelines and vision you set out.

I am glad to be a part of this community, to share my love of modelling with like minded people, and be inspired by what other members have created.

So here's to another 10 years of Tau greatness!

Warhound
Shas

Post#23 » Jan 27 2016 04:51

Im still here in my earthcaste bunker... Wish they would let me out... Blessed Ethereals! :? Lol

Still love you all... Still building and all inspired by this site.

Appreciation to Tael and all admin crew.

Ps.. I might actually get around to doing another blog this year as homage to the next ten years!;-)

Warhound
www.resinaddict.com .... go on, you know you need to!

Fraggle
Shas'Vre

Post#24 » Jan 27 2016 05:11

So... Any shrimp tails left?
Happy birthday to us!

davidmournestar
Shas

Post#25 » Jan 27 2016 08:54

Hardly seems like 10 years. But 10 years on the front will do that to you. Happy Birthday ATT thank you everyone for all your contributions and hard work.
Meliora Cogito!

cross.mountain
Fio'Ui

Post#26 » Jan 28 2016 05:20

10 years ATT! Wow, that's quite a long time, especially for a hobby site in the internet. For me finding ATT site was absolutely fantastic as happens to be also my start of 40k. Starting with the tau which was from the game play quite different to the armies my friends were (and still are) playing was definitely a difficult road. But hey... there was this particular forum where people were actually trying to develop something, were discussing strategies, showing great modelled and painted miniatures. And in a friendly and grown up way... without yelling at each other trading insults. Finding people that were interested in trading knowledge and supporting each other with constructive feedback was and still is a precious thing. So kudos to all, you made this a great place.

Even so I was more busy on the other side of the galaxy, travelling with the Emperor's first on that stony asteroid called The Rock (Thanks El'mo for your inspirational and fantastic miniatures!) ATT remained one of my favourite 40k sites. Haven't played a game with tau for more than three years I now am absolutely exited with the new codex and new suites. Can't wait to start but still have a painting queue to be done.

Well, a big Thank you! to the owners and mods and all the senior staff of site to keep ATT what it is and to ensure the great quality of this forum!

Norren
Shas'La

Post#27 » Jan 28 2016 05:24

Grats ATT on ding!

Kudos to the staff for keeping the site current and live for so long!

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui

Post#28 » Jan 28 2016 06:39

Yes, Happy Birthday ATT! To think that this is pretty much the first and last site I look at everyday, and many times in between. I can't wait to see what the future holds for this wonderful community!

Czar Ziggy

NoobPwner84
Shas'La

Post#29 » Jan 29 2016 09:45

Congratulations ATT, a well presented and resourceful forum on 40k's most dynamic xenos. Ive been on here a year now and despite not matching the contributions of some of the old guard I would like to think that I strive to add meaningful knowledge on how to battle the ignorant races of the 41st Millenium with my tournament report threads.

Well done to the creators and mods (ethereal caste?) for their clear mission statement and non-tolerance of trolls. Really does make this forum stand out as a beacon amongst the darkness of 40k forums, and it's to the greater good of the users.
The true warrior engages only the worthy opponent

Lunarius
Shas

Post#30 » Jan 29 2016 10:48

thanks ATT for all the wonderful support you have given.

for years I have been a silent reader, but recently decided to join your ranks.
and loving every day of it.

I hope the site will remain as good as this for the coming year, so everyone keep up the good work.

Tau'va! :D

Shas'O T'Ar'Cha
Shas

Post#31 » Mar 17 2016 09:24

Congratulations on achieving this amazing milestone! Not many sites get to boast ten years of existence, its a truly remarkable feat and you've done it without ever really faltering.

I remember first joining, think the site had only been around for a couple of years I was blown away by the commitment to detail and thoughtful posts and shear amount of information. This place opened my mind to tactics and conversions I'd never have thought about, it really got my creative juices flowing.

I may have gone a little quiet over the last couple of years but like Tael said in the video, other avenues of communication opened up but I've always had a fond space in my heart for ATT and even now still reference it and recommend this place to new people.

[Takes a shrimp tail from a nearby platter and passes said platter around] Here's to another ten years of ATT!

n1md4
Shas'La

Post#32 » May 02 2016 11:14

So, what's the latest on the new forum? :)

Tael
Fio'O

Post#33 » May 03 2016 01:15

Hi N1md4,

Fair question, best answer I can give is LifeTM.

I've been trying to wrap the last graphics and then align times to do the cross over. Suffice to say it will happen, I've had a spectacularly busy two months of late.

My goal is to have it transferred in May and set up - bit of seize the day, so do not to be too surprised waking up to a maintenance clock or brand new interface the next day. :D

Thanks for your patience though gang :)

- Tael.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#34 » Jul 29 2016 10:46

Hi All,

I am pleased to announce a video of the new Forum. Pshar Rifles will be doing the backend tech stuff to reset and launch, but for all intents and purposes, its good to go :)

Due to new PhP and just how outdated some mods were for the current ATT, we have adopted a new longitudinal format and the ability to minimise the content you don't want to browse. You also get a lot more options in following and sharing content with other social media platforms.

It is a silent run through, but over a couple of minutes you can check me browsing the forum:

The New Forum on Youtube

Thanks for your patience, it has taken much longer than promised. But here we go :D

- Tael.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#35 » Jul 29 2016 11:18

Wow, that's quite the change. There are things I really like but I feel like it has lost some of the charm this old site holds.

Is that a final version, or is it a bit of a WIP still?

Edit:
I backtracked through the rest of the thread. Is no one else going to mention that Tael is not nearly as old and grey as I had imagined? :P

On a more serious note, I do really like the vast majority of what's happening, but I really like our monochromatic scheme so the colorful buttons don't sit well with me (minor annoyance, if they're not changing I'll become accustomed). The major thing I noticed is that the ranks and castes aren't laid out the same. Is it possible in the new layout to adjust that? I really like seeing a real Tau rank near users, it really ties together the "Tau Orbital" motif. I saw that it still shows caste beneath the user, so maybe rank could be displayed there?

Also, happy belated birthday ATT. I have definitely made closer Internet friends here than anywhere else, and there is one member in particular I would go so far as to call battle brother, because we've bonded so closely these past few years. I think he knows who he is.

I will echo what others have said: This site changed not just my hobby, but my Internet conduct in general. I'm honored to be part of this glistening gem of a website.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#36 » Jul 30 2016 09:54

I think I like the current design better. It's a lot easier to see where something new is posted than it seems to be in with the new design based on the video.

themoogle
Shas

Post#37 » Jul 30 2016 11:48

I actually love the design of the new one but as mentioned, it kinda lacks a simple view of the newest posts.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#38 » Jul 30 2016 07:19

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate that. And no, not set in stone; just a complete build.

Shall look into aligning changes to suit.

Also, the multi coloured icons are an inbuilt code thing; I'm still trying to ATT-ify them ;)

Return to “Resource Articles”