News - new version of the Barracuda

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: News - new version of the Barracuda

Post#91 » May 18 2016 05:05

ARC'Thunder wrote:
Das'Kyman wrote:
ARC'Thunder wrote:I'm super excited that ForgeWorld decided to have something that isn't from the same fio'o in Ke'lshan. :roll:

Seriously, they are in a perfect position to demonstrate how different elements of the Empire all contribute to the tau war-machine, while bringing out the unique personalities of the septs through the inventions they bring to the galaxy.
And How!
I got tired of hearing about all this stuff that a rogue Fio came up with. I love the stuff, but I'm ready for some cool stuff coming from some Fio who aren't in defiance of the Ethereals.

It seemed odd to me that this rogue fio could R&D all of this stuff on a world that is seemingly under constant siege from enemies of the Empire. Among the newest releases I always felt it should have been laid out like this:

KX139 - Vior'la. The sept that has asked for a larger, titan class, chassis for several hundred years. And has the resources in the core of the empire for R&D/production. (Also new poster sept of the faction.)
    XV107 - Ke'lshan. Let them keep it. Fits the imagined role of anti-Tyranid horde with multi-shot blasts that do well against MCs (EMP Nova is weird for fighting 'nids though).
    XV109 - Fal'shia. Known for prototyping technology, and willing to endure the risks of dangerous hardware (lighter chassis that fights extremely close to enemy lines).

I disagree, theming Ke'lshan as the "mad scientists" of the tau empire means we got one more "subfaction" in the tau empire that has its own interesting thing, beyond the "classic Empire" and "Vior'la/enclaves". marines has fifty flavors in rules and hundreds more in fluff, the imperial guard also has dozens of variations (in fluff at least), as goes for chaos, and eldar, and nids, ork, necrons, etc. only we have merely two types.

If any, I'd want them to be a full subfaction with their own rules, decurion and such (well, actually, I'm already working on home-brewing one, basically they make the most out of experimental suits, "relics" and other such things, but everything HAVE to be decked-out with gear, no such thing as budget units.)

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#92 » May 18 2016 09:48

pilky wrote:
And out of curiosity for a side project, is the chaff drone the same size as other standard drones? Would it fit in the standardized dock of the Devil/hammer/ray, piranha, or sun/razor shark?

It's the same size as an interceptor drone, so fits on a Sun/Razorshark but not a tank or Piranha

Interceptor and normal drones are the same size hubcap, I thought. The difference in the dock is just a notch thing and a bit of extra width at the ends to accommodate the interceptor drone's extra peg and bigger gear package. It's been a while since I've looked at mine, though.

Ro'Kunas
Shas

Post#93 » May 19 2016 12:27

My apologies if I missed this, but was there an official, or unofficial word on a release for us non-brits?
I was almost gonna buy a recast, so I am glad I held off! This will doubtlessly be a better purchase for me. The only questions is when.....
Mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy
Puretide

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#94 » May 19 2016 02:18

It's usually between two to six months between "open day reveal" sales to normal sales with forgeworld, so that's the time scale.

Ro'Kunas
Shas

Post#95 » May 19 2016 06:12

ok thanks! Seems a long time, but I will wait. for the Greater Good. And my wallet
Mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy
Puretide

Quartz
Shas

Post#96 » May 20 2016 08:29

So has anyone who went to warhammer fest got any lovely pictures of their new Barracuda(s) they'd like to share? I'm sure we'd all love to see a few ;)
We gave them a chance at the greater good, now they die

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#97 » May 20 2016 08:49

Quartz wrote:So has anyone who went to warhammer fest got any lovely pictures of their new Barracuda(s) they'd like to share? I'm sure we'd all love to see a few ;)

Pilky posted quite a few on the previous page.

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#98 » May 21 2016 04:52

SinisterSamurai wrote:
pilky wrote:
And out of curiosity for a side project, is the chaff drone the same size as other standard drones? Would it fit in the standardized dock of the Devil/hammer/ray, piranha, or sun/razor shark?

It's the same size as an interceptor drone, so fits on a Sun/Razorshark but not a tank or Piranha

Interceptor and normal drones are the same size hubcap, I thought. The difference in the dock is just a notch thing and a bit of extra width at the ends to accommodate the interceptor drone's extra peg and bigger gear package. It's been a while since I've looked at mine, though.

I always assumed the same but trying them made me realise there's a few mm difference.

ZainNL
Shas

Post#99 » May 24 2016 02:29

So, I'm new with Forgeworld really and I'm just wondering.. How does it work? Do you have to get a Forgeworld specific Codex to use the units, or do you get a sheet with the unit you get?

Don't misunderstand- the reason I'm asking is because I'm really liking this one :D

EDIT: Removed question as it's against the rules. *BLAM*
Last edited by ZainNL on May 24 2016 03:58, edited 1 time in total.

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#100 » May 24 2016 03:48

ZainNL wrote:So, I'm new with Forgeworld really and I'm just wondering.. How does it work? Do you have to get a Forgeworld specific Codex to use the units, or do you get a sheet with the unit you get?

Don't misunderstand- the reason I'm asking is because I'm really liking this one :D Is it known how much points it'll cost ingame?

Most ForgeWorld models get rules in an Imperial Armour book. For Tau that is currently Imperial Armour 3, The Taros Campaign. This has rules for the old Barracuda which is what this model should be run with for now.

However, if a new model is released on their website, ForgeWorld will release rules as a PDF on their site until it appears in an Imperial Armour book. For example, the R'varna, Y'vahra, and Supremacy Armour all have rules linked from their product page. These rules will likely make themselves into the next Imperial Armour book which is another Tau book and should be released later this year

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#101 » May 24 2016 02:13

don't think they'll post rules on the site for this one. the Admech/Tau book is way too close, being this year and all.

I wonder what other tau things will make presence in the book. not expecting any further new models, but it is possible (there was a picture of an XV9 mugshot in one of the pages we saw)

In any case, I'm sure it will be a book to bring us back to the top of the pack. (because despite what some people on dakka and such claim, currently we are just on the second batch.)

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#102 » May 25 2016 03:08

In the ITC we're tier 1.5. Just not quite there to be in that top competitive scene. I hope this is the boost we need and FW don't cave to anti-tau pressure.

T0nkaTruckDriver
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#103 » Feb 11 2018 02:45

Pilky (or anyone else with one of the new kits), can you suggest a starting point for converting the Swiftstrike Railgun? I have the original 'cuda kit and want to retrofit it with the Swiftstrike. I've got a couple of the old metal Broadside Railguns lying around, as well as a Hammerhead Railgun I could chop up if needed. Any thoughts?

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#104 » Feb 11 2018 03:24

T0nkaTruckDriver wrote:Pilky (or anyone else with one of the new kits), can you suggest a starting point for converting the Swiftstrike Railgun? I have the original 'cuda kit and want to retrofit it with the Swiftstrike. I've got a couple of the old metal Broadside Railguns lying around, as well as a Hammerhead Railgun I could chop up if needed. Any thoughts?

The swift strike railgun is the same length as the old broadside railguns, though they are somewhat thinner. Should be easy enough to use one as a proxy

T0nkaTruckDriver
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#105 » Feb 11 2018 04:31

Thanks! I'll give it a go :D

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#106 » Feb 12 2018 04:21

Is this really a redesign?

I feel like this is the same barracuda I have, back turret and all.

EDIT:
Just figured out that this is thread necromancy. This IS the barracuda that I have :P

T0nkaTruckDriver
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#107 » Feb 14 2018 08:10

As a follow up, I wanted to share the results of my efforts to convert a Swiftstrike Railgun for my older model Barracuda. The "pocket" for the main weapon is much shorter on the old model, so I had to shorten the Railgun barrels quite a bit. I decided to use two side-by-side to depict the Heavy 2 stat (similar to the XV88). I'm really happy with how it came out :D

Return to “General Discussion”