News - new version of the Barracuda

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
User avatar
ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 850

Re: News - new version of the Barracuda

Post#73 » May 16 2016 05:53

pilky wrote:If anyone wants any more info or pictures just ask. Tomorrow I'm dropping all my other hobby projects and getting this beauty built.

We appreciate your dedication to the Tau'va, pilky.

Good on you for managing to grab one of these and getting the lowdown on the weapon names. Now we know that the AX5-2 is at least getting long-barrelled burst cannons and CIBs (which puts to rest some of Das'Kyman's concerns regarding the Dogfight phase), and the swiftstrike railgun/Barracuda ion cannon.

Regarding the "Barracuda" ion cannon, I'm pretty sure IA3 omitted the overcharge profile from the Manta's long-barrelled ion cannons, so I expect we may see something similar here; removing a primary blast weapon for a dedicated interceptor. Also, I had a feeling FW would have to make the railgun some special variant—they love smashing my desires for consistency with all of the special snowflake weapons and rules. Hopefully, it ends up being S9 and/or multi-shot (especially so if the Astartes get access to multi-shot lascannons). I also wouldn't be surprised if both weapons had radical range reductions when compared to their Hammerhead counterparts, perhaps 36"-48" for better range consistency across all the weapon systems and compared to other available flyers.

And finally, I like the idea that this is simply an in-universe update to the existing Barracuda platform—AX5-2. It demonstrates the inexorable march of tau technology, and makes sense when juxtaposed against a universe where weapon and vehicle models generally remain unchanged for more than a millennia.

User avatar
Quartz
Shas
Posts: 51
Contact:

Re: News - new version of the Barracuda

Post#74 » May 16 2016 05:56

That looks stunning! And LBBCs in the wing turrets!?! Amazing, I love the devastation they can do on my remoras so more LBBCs in the sky are more than welcome. :evil:

Anyhow, my question was; did any of the bits need straightening or bending back into shape? I had some problems with my Tiger Shark when I bought it (nothing that hot water couldn't fix of course) or is it a good cast?

I'm sure I'll be picking my self up one or two of these beauties in the next few months and, I know this is controversial but, I much prefer this model to the MKI.

P.s.
pilky wrote:It's also definitely a replacement for the original Barracuda fluff wise.

Where did you get this information on the fluff?
We gave them a chance at the greater good, now they die

User avatar
SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La
Posts: 449

Re: News - new version of the Barracuda

Post#75 » May 16 2016 06:43

Leading edge wing missile launchers are magnetizable? I wonder if that means you can skip them, or if there will be a different wing edge weapon option down the line.

Jacket
Shas'Saal
Posts: 436

Re: News - new version of the Barracuda

Post#76 » May 16 2016 07:32

Quartz wrote:That looks stunning! And LBBCs in the wing turrets!?! Amazing, I love the devastation they can do on my remoras so more LBBCs in the sky are more than welcome. :evil:

Anyhow, my question was; did any of the bits need straightening or bending back into shape? I had some problems with my Tiger Shark when I bought it (nothing that hot water couldn't fix of course) or is it a good cast?

I'm sure I'll be picking my self up one or two of these beauties in the next few months and, I know this is controversial but, I much prefer this model to the MKI.

P.s.
pilky wrote:It's also definitely a replacement for the original Barracuda fluff wise.

Where did you get this information on the fluff?

I agree. Just like the original Hornet fighter became the Super hornet. Then the Super Hornet Advanced and I think they might be upgraded one more time before finally being removed from service. I'm a little disappointed to see it's not a full railgun. Swiftstrike could mean it fires fast or it has a high velocity. I hope its the former so its mulltishot. As well as Str 9.

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3548

Re: News - new version of the Barracuda

Post#77 » May 17 2016 01:28

It would be really awesome if the swift strike railgun is a multiple hit blast that can hit flyers. Basically how submunition rounds would work in air combat.
Can't wait for the rules and maybe our Space Wolves player won't be the only one fielding a flyer anymore very soon. :D

User avatar
Bitterman
Shas
Posts: 909

Re: News - new version of the Barracuda

Post#78 » May 17 2016 02:29

pilky wrote:This thing is also one of the most magnetisable kits I've seen Forge World do. To magnetise everything you'll need four 8x2mm (for the main guns), 37 6x2mm (seekers, landing feet, associated covers, missile pods, turrets), six 4x1mm (decoy drone), and possibly twelve 3x1mm (for the turret weapons. They don't look like they need them but the holes are there to fit the magnets).

Image


SWOON. <3 <3 <3

Magnetising the landing gear is awesome. I glued the gear down on my original Barracuda, so I could have it as LOS-blocking terrain, on a landing pad, in games where I wasn't using it in my army (which when I first got it, was basically all of them). But then it looks silly flying along with its gear down. To have the choice is fantastic.

More magnets! Magnets for everyone!

User avatar
boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 1780

Re: News - new version of the Barracuda

Post#79 » May 17 2016 05:04

Ok, the weapon choices are interesting.

LBBC we know and lose, and make sure the bursts are actually useful in dogfights.

LBCIB is a brand new gun, and that intrigues me. by what we know of LBBC the LB means X2 range and X1.5 shots, so range 36 and 4.5 shots by pure comparison, naturally impossible, but we can expect something of that zone. though maybe its just a x2 range upgrade with no extra shots if they want the two side guns to be of similar value. also, I predict no blast profile.

In any case, these two, assuming the cudda is indeed a fighter, would probably dominate dogfights.



HBC is a known gun, we can expect that naturally no NOVA profile, and given that, is it really useful? unless its dirt cheap or something. though, given MPs and the side guns, being an AP4 dakka nightmare machine has merits, we are tau, that -1 against ground targets hurts us less than usual. (marker away!)

Barracuda Ion Cannon (BIC. now we can have a cudda armed with BIC and CIBs...) is probably as suggested, just an IC with no blast profile, to make it not double as a strafe jet by simply throwing blasts around, thus ignoring the fighter's BS penalty against ground targets.

Swiftstrike Railgun is what I find the most interesting. its called a railgun, not HRR, so that suggests a S10AP1 profile, though that is unlikely to be true. but swiftstrike suggests multiple shots. couls be a two-shot HRR, or even S9AP1. the name is a bit odd for me, as a two-shot S10AP1 is defiantly not happening (would be too dominant in the skies)



Overall, I'm excited.
Might just buy myself one, or do the "Razorshark barracuda" conversion if it turns to be too expensive of a model. (I'm still not sure if I like the new cudda, or the conversion style better. for reference: http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewt ... 89f5724810)

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 339

Re: News - new version of the Barracuda

Post#80 » May 17 2016 06:11

Quartz wrote:Anyhow, my question was; did any of the bits need straightening or bending back into shape? I had some problems with my Tiger Shark when I bought it (nothing that hot water couldn't fix of course) or is it a good cast?


It's a remarkably good cast. Nothing appears bent out of shape, relatively few air bubbles. There are some mould lines on the main body but nothing too bad. Having built 2 of the original barracudas and the amount of work it takes to get all those parts to fit together, the new one looks like it will be a breeze in comparison. I've had to do more preparatory/fixing work on a single pulse cannon for my supremacy suit than I expect I'll have to do on this entire kit.

P.s.
pilky wrote:It's also definitely a replacement for the original Barracuda fluff wise.

Where did you get this information on the fluff?


The front of the build instructions says that "the Earth Caste of the Vash'ya Sept considered it of paramount important that the existing Tau Barracuda design be redeveloped" to handle new threats

User avatar
Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 1161

Re: News - new version of the Barracuda

Post#81 » May 17 2016 07:41

Thank you so much for the shared info and pics pilky! Us less fortunate really appreciate it.
pilky wrote:And finally the weapons. There are no rules but I do have names. The main gun can either be a Heavy Burst Cannon, a Barracuda Ion Cannon, or a Swiftstrike Railgun (and as the pic shows, it is closer in size to the HRR, but not quite the same so maybe S9? Or S8 with some bonus). You have the expected Missile Pods. The turret on the back is a Decoy Drone. And finally, the wing turrets are now a choice of either a Long-barrelled Burst Cannon or a Long-barrelled CIB (I'm guessing it will probably be 36" range, Heavy 4).
This is good news. The long-barrelled turret weapons solves the potential problem I was seeing in dogfights.
It might be too early to tell, but it sounds like the burst cannons will lose the 'auto-targeting' and gain the extra range. Fair trade-off I would say, especially since you can ignore Jink in Dogfights if you win the right phase.
It is also sounding like the Ion Cannon and Swifstrike Railgun will be toned down versions of the Hammerhead's main weapons. I'm eager to see what the rule changes are for these weapons.
Swifstrike could mean it shoots rapidly so it has multiple shots, but it could also just mean it is meant for a fast flyer and has reduced power. It could even mean that it shoots so fast the target can't react so it ignores Jink!
The Barracuda Ion Cannon could lose the overcharge profile, or it could lose the AP3 to bring it closer to the Razorshark's weapon, or both.

Overall, the new weapon names give me hope that it will actually end up more shooty than I had originally thought, even if the primary weapons get toned down for air combat. The upgrades to the turret weapons are pretty big buffs, even if they keep the same number of shots as their shorter ranged counterparts.

User avatar
Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 955

Re: News - new version of the Barracuda

Post#82 » May 17 2016 08:07

LBBC and HBC? BRRRRRRRRRRRRRT

I'm curious as well about the railgun. It can even remain as S8, as long as it shoots a lot more than once. I hope no weapon loses their blasts! :::(

Did you manage to get any tip regarding its Agility? If its more maneuverable than a Razorshark? I mean, I wouldn't like to get an Agility 3 on our top aircraft :(

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 339

Re: News - new version of the Barracuda

Post#83 » May 17 2016 09:40

Vector Strike wrote:Did you manage to get any tip regarding its Agility? If its more maneuverable than a Razorshark? I mean, I wouldn't like to get an Agility 3 on our top aircraft :(


Nothing rules-wise, but in the fluff there's the line "This new pattern maintained the unmatched agility and manoeuvrability of its forebears"

User avatar
Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 955

Re: News - new version of the Barracuda

Post#84 » May 17 2016 10:03

pilky wrote:
Vector Strike wrote:Did you manage to get any tip regarding its Agility? If its more maneuverable than a Razorshark? I mean, I wouldn't like to get an Agility 3 on our top aircraft :(


Nothing rules-wise, but in the fluff there's the line "This new pattern maintained the unmatched agility and manoeuvrability of its forebears"


Oh yeah, I like that! 'Unmatched' could be Agility 5, but I dunno if they're really gonna do that :P

User avatar
SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La
Posts: 449

Re: News - new version of the Barracuda

Post#85 » May 17 2016 11:26

In the portion of the assembly instructions that displays attaching the missile pods, is there anything to indicate alternative options for that hardpoint?

And out of curiosity for a side project, is the chaff drone the same size as other standard drones? Would it fit in the standardized dock of the Devil/hammer/ray, piranha, or sun/razor shark?

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 339

Re: News - new version of the Barracuda

Post#86 » May 17 2016 11:58

SinisterSamurai wrote:In the portion of the assembly instructions that displays attaching the missile pods, is there anything to indicate alternative options for that hardpoint?


Nothing to indicate it will have an alternative at some point other than the holes for magnets. I'd probably magnetise it just in case. After all, the supremacy suit didn't even have magnet holes for the big guns and that has got alternatives so I suspect the Barracuda will too

And out of curiosity for a side project, is the chaff drone the same size as other standard drones? Would it fit in the standardized dock of the Devil/hammer/ray, piranha, or sun/razor shark?


It's the same size as an interceptor drone, so fits on a Sun/Razorshark but not a tank or Piranha

User avatar
ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 850

Re: News - new version of the Barracuda

Post#87 » May 17 2016 12:28

pilky wrote:The front of the build instructions says that "the Earth Caste of the Vash'ya Sept considered it of paramount important that the existing Tau Barracuda design be redeveloped" to handle new threats

I'm super excited that ForgeWorld decided to have something that isn't from the same fio'o in Ke'lshan. :roll:

Seriously, they are in a perfect position to demonstrate how different elements of the Empire all contribute to the tau war-machine, while bringing out the unique personalities of the septs through the inventions they bring to the galaxy.

User avatar
Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 1161

Re: News - new version of the Barracuda

Post#88 » May 17 2016 12:41

ARC'Thunder wrote:
pilky wrote:The front of the build instructions says that "the Earth Caste of the Vash'ya Sept considered it of paramount important that the existing Tau Barracuda design be redeveloped" to handle new threats

I'm super excited that ForgeWorld decided to have something that isn't from the same fio'o in Ke'lshan. :roll:

Seriously, they are in a perfect position to demonstrate how different elements of the Empire all contribute to the tau war-machine, while bringing out the unique personalities of the septs through the inventions they bring to the galaxy.
And How!
I got tired of hearing about all this stuff that a rogue Fio came up with. I love the stuff, but I'm ready for some cool stuff coming from some Fio who aren't in defiance of the Ethereals.

User avatar
ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 850

Re: News - new version of the Barracuda

Post#89 » May 17 2016 01:22

Das'Kyman wrote:
ARC'Thunder wrote:
pilky wrote:The front of the build instructions says that "the Earth Caste of the Vash'ya Sept considered it of paramount important that the existing Tau Barracuda design be redeveloped" to handle new threats

I'm super excited that ForgeWorld decided to have something that isn't from the same fio'o in Ke'lshan. :roll:

Seriously, they are in a perfect position to demonstrate how different elements of the Empire all contribute to the tau war-machine, while bringing out the unique personalities of the septs through the inventions they bring to the galaxy.
And How!
I got tired of hearing about all this stuff that a rogue Fio came up with. I love the stuff, but I'm ready for some cool stuff coming from some Fio who aren't in defiance of the Ethereals.

It seemed odd to me that this rogue fio could R&D all of this stuff on a world that is seemingly under constant siege from enemies of the Empire. Among the newest releases I always felt it should have been laid out like this:

    KX139 - Vior'la. The sept that has asked for a larger, titan class, chassis for several hundred years. And has the resources in the core of the empire for R&D/production. (Also new poster sept of the faction.)
    XV107 - Ke'lshan. Let them keep it. Fits the imagined role of anti-Tyranid horde with multi-shot blasts that do well against MCs (EMP Nova is weird for fighting 'nids though).
    XV109 - Fal'shia. Known for prototyping technology, and willing to endure the risks of dangerous hardware (lighter chassis that fights extremely close to enemy lines).

I hope they continue this trend if they manage to produce some of those other kits they brainstormed last year.

Grogalmighty
Shas'Saal
Posts: 49

Re: News - new version of the Barracuda

Post#90 » May 17 2016 10:33

It's just another episode of "Pimp my Tide"

Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests