News - new version of the Barracuda

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Bitterman
Shas

News - new version of the Barracuda

Post#1 » May 13 2016 04:45

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/blog/blog.jsp?_requestid=634305

More weapon options, hefty redesign (don't like the fins personally - hey ho) but it's a new version of the best, coolest flyer we ever had!

Last edited by Bitterman on May 13 2016 04:48, edited 1 time in total.

aracerssx
Shas'Saal

Re: News - new version of the Barracuda

Post#2 » May 13 2016 04:47

It's so beautiful I wanna cry

IT'S MAGNIFICENT !!!

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#3 » May 13 2016 04:49

Looks like Cyclic Ion Blasters can be subbed in for the Auto-Targeting Burst Cannons.

The Ion Cannon can be subbed out for a Long Barrelled Burst Cannon or what appears to be a Railgun or Heavy Rail Rifle.

Schweet!

As for the looks, canting the fins outwards would have been better.

Bitterman
Shas

Post#4 » May 13 2016 04:51

...and some kind of rear turret, by the looks of things? That would be completely new. Not to mention the built-in Seeker Missiles and keeping the TLMP.

No more ejection pod, though (wait - hang on - was that just the Tiger Shark?). And I really, really don't like those fins.

Jefffar wrote:canting the fins outwards would have been better.

Agreed. Simple enough conversion.

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » May 13 2016 04:58

Oh god I love it. Fins and all...!
This might even stop me from whining over the Razorshark and the formation :D
No really. I'm so hyped!
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

imran_tauyab
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » May 13 2016 05:03

GW please take note, This is how Tau Flyers should look.

Will the rules for this be in Death From the Skies?
Hailing from Sept Elsy'eir

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » May 13 2016 05:08

They are not.
Might be in the anticipated new IA

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » May 13 2016 05:18

Bitterman wrote:...and some kind of rear turret, by the looks of things? That would be completely new. Not to mention the built-in Seeker Missiles and keeping the TLMP.

No more ejection pod, though (wait - hang on - was that just the Tiger Shark?). And I really, really don't like those fins.

Jefffar wrote:canting the fins outwards would have been better.

Agreed. Simple enough conversion.

Looks like vectoring nozzles. Something you see on actual modern aircraft. This is simply beautiful. I'm going to have to pick up two for a duo at some point. I already liked the Barricuda and this is an improvement in every single way and it looks far more menacing and aerodynamic.

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#9 » May 13 2016 05:27

Yeah, doesn't look like a weapon on the back turret. The origional flavour text for the Razorshark implies the Tau make use of vectored thrust in turret style mounts, so it could be something similar.

Bitterman
Shas

Post#10 » May 13 2016 05:31

Good point, that would make more sense.

Myrdin
Shas

Post#11 » May 13 2016 05:39

If I dare say so - this is really sexy. And that is coming from an adult man, drooling over some plastic airplane hehe :D
Seriously now, though I never managed to pick up the older version Barracuda, as much as I wanted to, this new one certainly does tickle my interest into getting one after all.

Being an update of the older model, hopefully the rules will be looked at as well. If nothing else the weapon options seem like there should be some sort of change going on to this one, there is potential. Hopefully the Barracuda MKII (as I decided to call it for now) will deliver as the old one and even more. As for the fins - with little bit of fine modelling and fine tunning they could easely be reversed to curve to the opposite site giving it much nastier (dangerous) look.

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » May 13 2016 05:47

Did any notice the seekers.
They seem to be stored internally and released one by one through the bottom. Looks pretty sweet to me.

Edit:
It's my birthday in two months. Feel free to pick one up for me as a gift whoever will be at Warhammerfest. :D

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#13 » May 13 2016 05:59

Want
One
In
PLASTIC

(Or maybe two, three, ...)

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » May 13 2016 06:00

I can see that this year will be the year I make some massive improvement to my air support cadre!

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#15 » May 13 2016 06:01

My Barracuda... my beautiful Barracuda.... what have they done to you... :::(

I hate it. I'm sorry but I just can't stand the redesign. I can't quite put my finger on it, but a combination of the cockpit canopy, oversized fins, skeletal wings and Soulstorm-esque features makes this new version just look wrong to me, and all the options in the world cannot redeem it in my eyes. That it uses the boring old standard burst cannon design just adds insult to injury (although I do completely understand it, as I know for a fact that most if not all of the old Forgeworld burst cannon molds have become irreparably damaged, but I still dearly miss the old massive elongated Forgeworld burst cannons. I always loved how they looked on the Tau aircraft and heavy drones).

It's timing certainly doesn't help, since I'm currently going through something of a crisis with the tabletop hobby. I haven't genuinely enjoyed a single GW release for three years now (the last one was the 6th edition Tau re-release in 2013), and Forgeworld isn't far behind (I can't think of any Forgeworld releases in the last three years that I've genuinely enjoyed, but I could easily be forgetting something). Which wouldn't be a problem except that outside of exactly two exceptions I haven't found a single other model manufacturer that produces models I genuinely enjoy either, and it looks like the entire industry and hobby is moving in a direction I don't want to follow. This, combined with frequently encountering negative comments about numerous older GW models from the early 2000s era that I adore and genuinely do enjoy (which wasn't a problem in the past, but has slowly begun to wear me down) has left me feeling... well I don't want to say depressed, because I'm certain that I don't actually have depression and I don't want to distract from what is a very serious mental condition that many people face daily, but certainly profoundly miserable.

To make matters worse, it's not just any Tau model, or even any 40k model, it's the Barracuda. Alongside the (older) Firewarriors and the Hammerhead, the Barracuda is the third of the holy trinity that comprises my three all-time favourite Tau models (and over half of my favourite 40k models of all time), and indeed the three models that originally got me collecting Tau in the first place. The original Barracuda is a timeless classic in my eyes, and an iconic symbol of both everything I love about the Tau aesthetic and my hobby roots and influences. Consequently it's a model that I am extremely passionate about.

I always dreamed of one day owning a full squadron of 40k-scale Forgeworld Barracudas. I even had plans to convert a few into the AX-06 Space Superiority naval variants. Looks like that's one more I can add to my ever growing list of dreams that will never be. Oh well.

As far as I'm concerned, this will always be the real Barracuda.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Fokke
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#16 » May 13 2016 06:06

Wow I am digging it. I liked the original blocky Barracuda, but I think this more aerodynamically looking version looks so much better. It almost looks like what a real aircraft looks like. Its like a tau A-10.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#17 » May 13 2016 06:14

This is NOT a long-barrel burst cannon!

This is a fully fledged Heavy burst cannon the riptide packs.

Man, I love this redesigen, I love the fact it actually has options now. (though I find them odd, these are not sidegrades of each other, but obvious "classes" of guns.) and the rear engine turret makes it look like maybe it will shift from being a speedy strafing run jet, to an agile air superiority jet.

I already have an army too big, and now I need to find the time and budget to add one or three of these to it.

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#18 » May 13 2016 06:56

boomwolf wrote:This is NOT a long-barrel burst cannon!

This is a fully fledged Heavy burst cannon the riptide packs.

God, I love this redesigen, I love the fact it actually has options now. (though I find them odd, these are not sidegrades of each other, but obvious "classes" of guns.) and the rear engine turret makes it look like maybe it will shift from being a speedy strafing run jet, to an agile air superiority jet.

*BAD WORD DELETED*. I already have an army too big, and now I need to find the time and budget to add one or three of these to it.

Do we have a source for that?

Though without a Nova Reactor that is going to be limited to the standard profile (which is pretty similar to the old long barrelled burst cannon).

Return to “General Discussion”