News - new version of the Barracuda

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: News - new version of the Barracuda

Post#37 » May 13 2016 12:49

How much did the old Barracuda cost?

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#38 » May 13 2016 01:30

Points of £?
Points was/is: 500-700 ish. Depending on Vehicle Systems and which version of 'shark.

£ cost. I don't know. Sorry
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#39 » May 13 2016 01:32

Agent00abe wrote:Points of £?
Points was/is: 500-700 ish. Depending on Vehicle Systems and which version of 'shark.

He was asking about the barracuda. I don't recall the £ but I would expect this kit to at least be similar in price to the other flyer kits out there. So 70-100? Hard to say at this stage since the old barracuda was really expensive due to being a solid brick of resin. The new kit might not be as material heavy but they also might charge more for the new design/weapons.

E'nigma
Shas

Post#40 » May 13 2016 01:33

He was asking about the 'Cuda. It's current cost 130pts.

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#41 » May 13 2016 01:35

Das'Kyman wrote:

He was asking about the barracuda. I don't recall the £ but I would expect this kit to at least be similar in price to the other flyer kits out there. So 70-100? Hard to say at this stage since the old barracuda was really expensive due to being a solid brick of resin. The new kit might not be as material heavy but they also might charge more for the new design/weapons.

Do'h you're absolutely right. My mind was stuck on Tigersharks due to the other thread ^^

'cuda is 150ish points
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

hazmatt
Kor'Ui
Kor'Ui

Post#42 » May 13 2016 01:49

Forgeworld wrote:Barracuda AX-5-2

Since they are giving this a model designation, does this mean they are keeping the old one, too? Like with the Tigershark and the AX-1-0?

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#43 » May 13 2016 01:53

hazmatt wrote:
Forgeworld wrote:Barracuda AX-5-2

Since they are giving this a model designation, does this mean they are keeping the old one, too? Like with the Tigershark and the AX-1-0?

The old one is Out of production, but they're likely to be updating the rules for every Tau unit in the new Imperial Armour, even the old Barry Cutey.

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#44 » May 13 2016 02:01

Are those some type of missile pods? Between the main weapon and the wing weapons.

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#45 » May 13 2016 02:11

Unicornsilovethem wrote:Are those some type of missile pods? Between the main weapon and the wing weapons.
Those are probably the 'twin-linked missile pod'. The old model had almost identical missile ports in the same position.

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#46 » May 13 2016 02:44

I love the design. Fits better along with the Tigershark and Manta.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#47 » May 13 2016 05:13

Ricordis wrote:How much did the old Barracuda cost?

130 before any upgrades when it comes to points.

I think it was the same monetary cost as the riptide variants before they pulled it down.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#48 » May 13 2016 07:06

I love this new design! It actually looks like a surface fighter, rather than just a space craft. The fins and new sleek design looks amazing, however I would(much like a lot of people) put the rear fins on a slight angle, to deviate from the F-15 look and go for more of a smooth and stylish F-22 look, and I'd probably turn those nose fins around to look even more stylish. I love it, I love it so much :D I didn't really enjoy how bulky and basic looking the old one was, but that's probably my inner tyrant coming out. I really hope it isn't too expensive points-wise, so I can justify getting one. I'd love to use it over the GW flyers. They look a little silly, and I just couldn't enjoy using them.

Ko'Vash
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#49 » May 13 2016 09:47

I'm curious to see if that rail weapon will be a Heavy Rail Rifle or a Rail Gun. Honestly, I could see it going either way from a balance perspective. A HRR wouldn't be terrible, considering the benefits of AP 1 and the helpful addition of the CIBs, but obviously a full Rail Gun would be more ideal from a pro-Tau biased perspective. :P

aracerssx
Shas'Saal

Post#50 » May 14 2016 12:11

if you think about it ... it has the ion cannon which is a hammerhead weapon ... a railgun doesn't seem that far fetched from that perspective

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#51 » May 14 2016 01:00

aracerssx wrote:if you think about it ... it has the ion cannon which is a hammerhead weapon ... a railgun doesn't seem that far fetched from that perspective

It's not far fetched at all. If you look at the part, you can see it shares visuals with the Hammerhead railgun barrel:
I can almost guarantee it will be the normal railgun, or some special variant.

EDIT: Posted a more comprehensive comparison image below, and replaced this one with a thumbnail of the original.
Last edited by ARC'Thunder on May 14 2016 02:47, edited 1 time in total.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#52 » May 14 2016 02:13

Well, given that the HRR sares the same visuals, it does not give much information.

But the fact it has a hammerhead ion cannon however, is. a flying railgun can be terrfying if that's truly what we get, however-if its truely a fighter, I'd much rather have ion. a railgun in the sky can really butcher aircraft, but so can dual CiBs that ignore jink saves, and the ion blast option is better for strafing runs as an additional value than the railgun. (and match targets better with the CiBs than a railgun)

If the HBC is a budget option though, it might be the go-to to have HBC/CiB setup.

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#53 » May 14 2016 02:41

boomwolf wrote:Well, given that the HRR sares the same visuals, it does not give much information.

It actually gives us quite a bit considering the HRR and the railgun share very few of the visuals that I highlighted, nor do they share the same scale:

The key lies in the muzzle, rails, and the base. Between the Barracuda and the Hammerhead: all of these elements are near identical, whereas comparing either vehicle with the HRR shows that they share very little. The only commonality is that they share the basic silhouette of a generic rail-weapon.

Exzendar
Shas'Saal

Post#54 » May 14 2016 02:49

wow nice desing!!
must have!
it looks larger than the old one,nice new weapon options ,but i think nothing is better than a overloaded ion gun!

Return to “General Discussion”