Dal'yth sept colour?

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Ol'oi Es't
Shas

Dal'yth sept colour?

Post#1 » May 26 2016 12:19

Greetings commanders,

I am confused as to which is the right sept colour for Dal'yth. It seems to have been purple before but now, with the advent of the 7th edition codex, it seems to have been switched to dark blue or somesuch. Can anyone enlighten me further in this matter?

Respectfully,

Commander Hindsight

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Re: Dal'yth sept colour?

Post#2 » May 26 2016 12:06

Near as I can tell, 3rd and 4th edition codices don't mention show it. Those are B&W except for the mini showcases, and Day'leth isn't showcased. I don't have 5th edition codex.

in the Dawn of War video game, Dal'yth's paint scheme is a dark green with a rich purple.

6th edition, the rings around the sept symbols on pages 11, 13, and 18 represent the sept color. Day'leth's is very dark, maybe a grey, purple, or black.

In 7th, on page 17 of the codex, Dal'yth appears to be a dull blue-green. The uniform guide on page 57 shows the same ring around the sept as 6th edition, and the sept marking on the image itself is a blue-grey that is almost the same color as Tau skin.

The color is a little easier to pick out around the sept symbol of an image hosted by ATT's own ARCThunder. http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll26 ... 1b3df1.png

Dal'yth as purple appears to be from the video game, and may be artistic license. Contemporary and more official sources show it as an ash-blue. I'm tempted to go through several older White Dwarf magazines to find more information, but time does not permit.

I don't think the DoW scheme is correct, but perhaps we could head-canon it that one sept color was used before Dal'yth was attacked by the Imperium, and another was used afterwards.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » May 26 2016 03:08

Tau don't have heraldic colours or 'Livery' like the Adeptas Astartes or the Adepta Sororita. No Ultramar blue, Blood Angels red,or Imperial Fists yellow. Although GW seems to be pushing the Tau in that direction with 6th and 7th editions codices and the Farsight Codex. (Okay I admit I was painting my Faresight firewarriors red as far back as 4th addition, but I had matching base material to go along with it! :-? )

The original concept was that tau armour had different colour camouflage schemes for the environment they were in. The exceptions were that terra cotta seemed to be the dress uniform colour for the fire caste and black and grey was the colour for ship board firewarriors.

Dal'yth's sept colour was always purple, but that's for the stripes on the armour, vehicles and aircraft.

Depends if your trying for livery or sept stripes?

I prefer the old-school approach and would go with purple for the sept stripes and whatever camouflage scheme or colour pattern for the armour that you like. :fear:

TauMan out
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Ol'oi Es't
Shas

Post#4 » May 27 2016 01:29

Thanks for your thorough reply Sinister Samurai. I had the same general idea but you walked us through it well. After looking at the picture in your link I think it looks kind of grey-tourqouise(ish). Reminds me a bit of the old swooping hawk turqouise citadel colour.

TauMan, thank for your reply. I am not going for livery, mine will be snow themed for fighting in on ice-locked worlds. It is the sept colour I am after.

I might stick to the old purple, becuase it will look good with white. On the other hand, I want it to be correct fluff-wise. What to do?

Denirosek
Por'La
Por'La

Post#5 » Jun 17 2016 08:21

I also would like to thank all those who contributed in this thread. I'm going to make a Dal'yth army as well and all the information here have been very useful. As a DoW player I always sticked to the idea that Dal'yth had that purple-green scheme and I'm intending to paint my army just like that. I had however problem with the Sept marking's colours, therefore thank you, SinisterSamurai for that information on this blue-ish colour they have. It makes sense that Dal'yth is using the blue colour as the numerous plants on that planet are actually blue, rather than green.

I haven't painted the models yet, but looking at the "painting simulator" that's been posted on this forum somewhere, it is actually quite pleasant to the eye.

If I were you, I'd stick to the blue-ish option, I think it would suit the arctic pattern marvelously. But purple is definitely fine too.
Prosper, as Tau shall.

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Jun 17 2016 10:28

By Shas'Saal - ShasLa40 (http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=22825&p=286261

This should help. Searching the site will always show hidden treasure.
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Jun 21 2016 02:13

There is some serious misinformation coming from GW! I however believe in the immutable traditions handed down to us, even if GW randomly retcons things for no good reason whatsoever!

The following quotes are from Aun'O'Kirk'hil from the defense of Dal'yth prime, they are rendered in Dal'yth purple in honour of the fallen.
“We shall defend our Dal'yth, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the drop-pod grounds, we shall fight in the agri-fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills! We shall never surrender!”

— Aun'O'Kirk'hil speaking to the the tau of Dal'yth Prime, just before the landing by forces of the Imperium during the Damocles Gulf Crusade.

“Never give in — never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the gue'la.”

— Aun'O'Kirk'hil addressing the tau of Dal'yth during one of the bleakest moments of the Damocles Gulf Crusade.

“By its sudden collapse…the proud Imperial Guard has once again proved the truth of the saying, ‘The Gue'la is always either at your throat or at your feet!'”

— Aun'O'Kirk'hil speaking at the victory celebrations on Dal'yth Prime. After the withdrawal of Imperial forces during the Damocles Gulf Crusade.

“Never have so many, owed so much, to so few.”

— Aun'O'Kirk'hil at the commemoration of a monument to the heroism of the tau air caste of Dal'yth during the Damocles Gulf Crusade.

To paraphrase the great Aun: Never give in — never, never, never, never...never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the Games Workshop!

The TauMan Abides
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Ol'oi Es't
Shas

Post#8 » Jul 05 2016 07:15

Digging this up again for closure. I went to buy the "new" Dal'yth sept color and chose stegadon scale green from Games Workshop. It is actually a bluish grey color which I think matches the new Dal'yth sept color well.

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Mar 02 2017 01:37

I decided on it with Fenris Grey Image
based on this

and 7th edition codex painting sept colors on armor.
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

Return to “General Discussion”