Tiger Shark || AX-1-0

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Tiger Shark || AX-1-0

Post#19 » May 31 2016 10:28

Kakapo42 wrote: (with the fall of the Barracuda and the disappearance of the Orca the Tigersharks are now the last remaining bastion of classic Tau aviation...).

To be fair, the Barracuda was taken out of production because they are reintroducing it with a new model (and new rules, etc).

Besides, the Manta is certainly a bastion of Tau aviation and it is still there ;)

Cheers!

CmdrCASh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#20 » Jun 01 2016 12:58

ZainNL wrote:Only thing I'm slightly worried about is assembling, since I've read that's a real hell. But, with some dedication that should not be an issue.

Are you familiar with working on resin? I suppose you know that you'll probably need to have a good saw handy as the main fuselage of the AX-1-0 (or at least mine) requires some work to break it from the resin block "sprue".
Ka'ash Sept

ZainNL
Shas

Post#21 » Jun 01 2016 01:46

Not really no. I managed to assemble Shadowsun, a Khorne herald and 3 out of 6 Swooping Hawks but other than that...

Oh well.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#22 » Jun 01 2016 02:05

ZainNL wrote:Not really no. I managed to assemble Shadowsun, a Khorne herald and 3 out of 6 Swooping Hawks but other than that...

Oh well.

In that case I would also recommend you source a decent face-mask if at all possible before you start working on it. Unlike GW's finecast resin, Forgeworld resin gives off a dust when sawed, filed or drilled that is dangerous to breathe in.

It will also probably pay to give each piece a wash in water with some non-abrasive cleaning agent before starting assembly. Forgeworld model pieces tend to still have a residual coating of oily release agent on them which stops paint settling properly, so a quick rinse and scrub to get this off will make undercoating the model much easier. You can find more information about it here.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#23 » Jun 01 2016 02:34

shasocastris wrote:
Kakapo42 wrote: (with the fall of the Barracuda and the disappearance of the Orca the Tigersharks are now the last remaining bastion of classic Tau aviation...).

To be fair, the Barracuda was taken out of production because they are reintroducing it with a new model (and new rules, etc).

Besides, the Manta is certainly a bastion of Tau aviation and it is still there ;)

Cheers!

The manta is a bastion all right, but I have doubts about the aviation part.

ZainNL
Shas

Post#24 » Jun 01 2016 02:35

Thanks for the advice! That it's actually dangerous to breathe in, had no idea.
Thankfully I've only done a few FW doors for my Rhino's which required minimal filing. Although I suppose the dust becomes really notable when you're going ham with it!

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#25 » Jun 01 2016 04:27

It's not the worst thing you can breathe in but something you should certainly avoid. As an additional tip it can help if you wet the area before you saw/sand/file as it stops the dust from flying up. Not a replacement for a mask or extractor, but ensures most of the dust doesn't get into the air

ZainNL
Shas

Post#26 » Jun 07 2016 01:51

Holy cr*p, it just got in and.. What a daunting model!

I'm going to need stronger glue :D

As for sawing, I'm thinking of doing it on the balcony (I live on the 6th floor) with a mask on. Should be fine :)

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#27 » Jun 07 2016 02:01

Have fun man. And don't forget to post pictures when you're all done :D
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

ZainNL
Shas

Post#28 » Jun 07 2016 02:02

Hell to the yes! Although I do plan on doing the painting faaaaar later,
so my painting skills are better, in order to not-ruin it :P

Although I'll give it a white coat :)

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#29 » Jun 07 2016 02:28

Don't worry about the paint job not being good, you can always strip the paint and re-do it at a later date (I did with mine). I will say, dry fit all your components multiple times during every stage of building and painting. Will save a lot of time later

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#30 » Jun 07 2016 02:36

And headaches :)
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

Grazx
Shas

Post#31 » Sep 05 2017 09:58

I got a Tiger shark second hand from a guy who had lost the instructions it is pretty daunting trying to build this with no instructions i am slowly struggling through it. I contacted forgeworld but since the guy won't give me his product number i can't get the instructions from them. Does anyone by chance happen to have some they can email me?

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#32 » Sep 06 2017 06:13

Grazx wrote:I got a Tiger shark second hand from a guy who had lost the instructions it is pretty daunting trying to build this with no instructions i am slowly struggling through it. I contacted forgeworld but since the guy won't give me his product number i can't get the instructions from them. Does anyone by chance happen to have some they can email me?

Was it from eBay? Could be a re-cast, hence FW being funny about giving out instructions.

Return to “General Discussion”