Tiger Shark || AX-1-0

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
ZainNL
Shas

Tiger Shark || AX-1-0

Post#1 » May 30 2016 07:49

Greetings!

So the Barracuda topic has me doubting on getting a Forgeworld Tau flyer (*raises fist*). Thing is, I like the sleeker look of the regular Tiger Shark, whereas I'm not entirely sure about the long guns on the AX-1-0.

Can someone give me a lowdown on their roles? I have looked around a bit but found conflicting information which is mostly, based on, personal preferences.

My concerns:

- I am looking for a cool, yet playable flyer centerpiece;
- I am unexperienced in magnetising (but can learn, so the canons can be swapped);

The first point is the most important, for me :)

Thanks in advance! ;)

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Tiger Shark || AX-1-0

Post#2 » May 30 2016 08:30

The Tigershark is definitely playable from a practical sense, though you'll need to work out how best to base it. It's also not a simple kit to build, mostly due to it's size (the main body is on solid block of resin), but also due to there not being much leeway for things like the pilot pod if you want to keep it removable.

Rules wise, I'm not a massive fan of the regular Tigershark. There are better ways to get drones onto the field, and it's armament isn't that much better than a Barracuda. For the points cost you can have 3 Barracudas, with lots of upgrades, giving more fire power and a 2+ jink (if you give the, disruption pods), with room left over for some drone squads.

The AX-0-1 is a bit different. It's still massively over costed points wise, but having the strength D single shot on its railgun gives it a unique place as a flying Superheavy killer. Most strength D on flyers are blasts, so can't target other flyers. It's fun to have as a centrepiece for your Air Caste, but will mostly be left for apocalypse games when you don't care as much about points

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » May 30 2016 08:37

pilky wrote:The AX-0-1 is a bit different. It's still massively over costed points wise, but having the strength D single shot on its railgun gives it a unique place as a flying Superheavy killer. Most strength D on flyers are blasts, so can't target other flyers. It's fun to have as a centrepiece for your Air Caste, but will mostly be left for apocalypse games when you don't care as much about points

It is a SINGLE (a turn) shot strength D that is HULL mounted on a platform that can ONLY turn 90 degrees and MUST move at least 18 inches.
It is not worth it! Maybe it'll get better with the IA 14 but as for now you should only get it for the sexy model and not for the game :)
Last edited by Agent00abe on May 30 2016 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

ZainNL
Shas

Post#4 » May 30 2016 08:46

@pilky: Thanks! Does not sound good if it's a hard kit to build, especially when considering it's resin (mostly have bad experience with resin).

@Agent00abe: Thanks to you too! I do assume that the D shot is once per turn and not once per game, right?

From what I'm gathering so far is that it's use really is.. To be a centerpiece. Decisions decisions..

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » May 30 2016 09:02

ZainNL wrote:@Agent00abe: Thanks to you too! I do assume that the D shot is once per turn and not once per game, right?

Yes. Once a turn. I wasn't clear on that. :)
Edited my post to make it clearer for any one not familiar with the weapon profile :D

KuroRyu
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » May 30 2016 09:04

The main issue I have with fielding my tiger shark is that it's big and awesome looking, this is both the best and worst thing about it. As something big and awesome looking draws a lot of fire and the tiger shark isn't very tough. It can't jink so it's relying on av12 and people not having skyfire to avoid being shot down. Whilst 6 hp isn't a small amount, concentrated anti air fire won't take long to shave those down. This is just my personal experience though.

The heavy railgun on the AX1-0 is great imo. You have a long range D weapon for dropping super heavies or you can use the submunition which is an apocalyptic blast that makes MEqs rather sad.

Networked markerlights are always nice

You can always find a target for missile pods and burst cannons

It is however very expensive

The standard tiger shark is considerably cheaper. Instead of the railguns it gets regular ion cannons and the ability to deep strike gun drones where it has flown (like a bombing run but with drones instead of bombs). Like others have said before there are better and more cost efficient ways to get drones and ion cannons on the board.

One thing to consider about the AX1-0 is that if you can stump up the money to buy 2, you can make them a titan killer cadre. You nominate a super heavy vehicle or walker at the beginning of the game and whenever your sharks fire their D guns at it and they hit a void shield or power field you roll a D6. On a 4+ the shot takes out the shield and hits the next one and you roll again. essentially your railguns keep going though shields until you roll less than 4 or it hits the target. Quite a tasty rule, with 2 sharks you can reliably drop 3/4 void shields a turn with 2 shots.

ZainNL
Shas

Post#7 » May 30 2016 09:59

@KuroRyu: thanks for the extensive summary!

Doesn't make it harder though.. I find that I'm drawn between the nicer looking Tiger Shark and the harder-hitting AX-1-0..

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » May 30 2016 01:26

You'll be paying north of 1200 points for that group though
And to remind you, it's still on a platform with a 45 degree firing arc.
With the flyer being forced to move at least 18 inches and limited to a single turn of 90 degrees each turn it's not uncommon that it will end up in a spot where it can't shoot the target you want it to shoot at. So you get turns where you are not getting a return on your investment into the Tigershark. And that's just when it's actually on the board.
With some bad dice rolls it might not even make it to get more than a single shot off for the entire game.

When you think about all those situational issues and include the rather poor survivability that Ruy also mentioned, it really isn't worth the price tag.

Here's to hoping it gets fixed in the upcoming IA.

Varyn
Shas

Post#9 » May 30 2016 02:01

Just a side point:

The barracuda looks to be getting more weapon options with the new kit, which means it can be equipped to perform a variety of roles, the main weapon looks to be either ion, rail or heavy burst cannon, and the turrets have an ion option, which looks a lot like the ghostkeel ion raker. When I spoke to someone from FW at Warhammer Fest, he said it would likely be released in June with a PDF ruleset on the website.

http://www.warhammer-tau.com/2016/05/any ... world.html

A welcome change, as our standard flyers are very overpriced and the barracuda looks so much cooler!

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » May 30 2016 03:56

I'll pitch my voice and say that in my opinion, the AX-1-0 cost/effect ratio is outright horrible.

At 660 points (before upgrades) he's an outright joke. had he been 440, he's still be a joke.

As an aircraft he's facing many restriction. must start in reserves, difficulty finding shots, etc. being unable to jink does not help, and to add insult to injury-he hardly packs significant firepower to begin with, the cheaper, more durable stormsurge (who starts on board) is a far bigger threat to practically everything.

Its a cool looking plane, but that's where it ends.

KuroRyu
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » May 30 2016 04:08

Sadly boomwolf's assessment is fair.

Aj'T'au
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » May 30 2016 04:12

While we are sort of on the subject, does anyone know if it is possible to magnetizeat the tigershark to be able to switch out between the two types? Of course that's assuming someone has the parts to do it.

R.D.
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » May 30 2016 09:13

Aj'T'au wrote:While we are sort of on the subject, does anyone know if it is possible to magnetizeat the tigershark to be able to switch out between the two types? Of course that's assuming someone has the parts to do it.

In theory, yes, looking at the models.

ZainNL
Shas

Post#14 » May 31 2016 02:36

Thanks for the reactions and discussion (like that!). But, I ordered the AX-1-0 :) Decided I just really want a cool center piece for my Air caste. Stormsurge already fills that role for my main force ;)

Reason I chose it, is because I really like the Tiger Shark model and even if it's not worth its points, it's still fun to play in an Apo battle. And who knows, maybe the updated rules for DftS will do it justice.

Only thing I'm slightly worried about is assembling, since I've read that's a real hell. But, with some dedication that should not be an issue.

As for magnetizing, the thing I noticed is that the AX-1-0 has seeker missiles and the regular model has a bay for drones. So I'm not entirely sure if it's possible to magnetize, but.. When it comes next week I'll know :crafty: I'll be sure to post it on here so the next one who wants to know can look it up..

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » May 31 2016 02:58

The only hassle I had when building my AX-1-0 was cleaning the model from the release oils.
I wasn't patient enough so I ended up missing some spots and the paint wouldn't stick properly. So when ever I feel I have the time I need to strip it, wash it, and repaint the thing. Sigh....
As for anything else Tau. Watch out for your antennas, they like to break during transport if you're not careful.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#16 » May 31 2016 05:25

Good choice! I'd have recommended you get one just to encourage Forgeworld to keep producing that model as it is (with the fall of the Barracuda and the disappearance of the Orca the Tigersharks are now the last remaining bastion of classic Tau aviation...). Of course it helps that it's a beautiful and timeless model, which alone should be enough to justify getting one. :D

Your mentioning of the seeker missiles and the drone bay has actually given me an idea. Given that the ion cannons on the normal Tigershark seem to be the normal size, and that most of the AX-1-0 components seem to be ad-ons to the normal Tigershark chassis, it might be possible to set it up so that you can switch between the two variants with some very clever magnetising or pinning, using a couple of spare Hammerhead ion cannons trimmed to fit if the AX-1-0 kit doesn't include all the standard Tigershark pieces.

Good flying!
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

ZainNL
Shas

Post#17 » May 31 2016 05:37

Cheers ;) Thankfully, I still have a set of all 3 Hammerhead tops laying around :D

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » May 31 2016 06:49

It does not contain the normal Tigershark bits.
You only get exactly what is needed to build the AX-1-0

Return to “General Discussion”