New Barracuda is HERE!

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Redback
Por

New Barracuda is HERE!

Post#1 » Jul 22 2016 03:38

The New Forgeworld Tau Barracuda AX 5-2 is now available

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Tau- ... rike-Cadre

Rules:
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/ ... 0Rules.pdf

Thoughts:
It is a Heavy Support :sad: , just hoping for a decent formation to take it. As Heavy Support is already flooded with good choices

Cyclic Ion blasters and Heavy Burst cannon seems like a good combination

Panzer
Shas'La

Re: New Barracuda is HERE!

Post#2 » Jul 22 2016 03:59

Now that's nice.
So everything with AV10 and without any invulnerable save would die just from the secondary weapons already with average rolls and with the CIBs you still have a very good chance to take some hullpoints from AV11. Add the primary weapons on top of that and there should barely be a flyer exept for the super tanky ones that can survive a Barracuda. :D

Also it doesn't seem the Ion weapons lost their overcharge blast. It also says under Unit Composition "1 Barracuda Multi-role Fighter"...does that mean you can play him as interceptor, fighter and bomber all the same?

Redback
Por

Post#3 » Jul 22 2016 04:05

Panzer wrote:
Also it doesn't seem the Ion weapons lost their overcharge blast. It also says under Unit Composition "1 Barracuda Multi-role Fighter"...does that mean you can play him as interceptor, fighter and bomber all the same?

It has lost the overcharged, as it is not an Ion cannon, it is a Barracuda Ion cannon; that has no blast option

I believe it is a Strike flyer. I don't have the flyer handbook so no idea what that means

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jul 22 2016 04:06

Redback wrote:
Panzer wrote:

It has lost the overcharged, as it is not an Ion cannon, it is a Barracuda Ion cannon; that has no blast option

I believe it is a Strike flyer. I don't have the flyer handbook so no idea what that means

Ah you're right. Well but the CIBs seem to still have their overcharge profile since they aren't listed as new weapons in the "Barracuda Special Issue Weapons" section. :P

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jul 22 2016 04:20

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/ ... -Skies.pdf

There you go ladies and gents. We basically get a flyer who can shoot at any target with no down side. :) If there was an emote of Ron Perlman chomping on a cigar I would use it right now. BS 5 when attacking at ground targets. Muahah!

Redback
Por

Post#6 » Jul 22 2016 04:29

Jacket wrote:https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Warhammer_40000/Death-from-the-Skies.pdf

There you go ladies and gents. We basically get a flyer who can shoot at any target with no down side. :) If there was an emote of Ron Perlman chomping on a cigar I would use it right now. BS 5 when attacking at ground targets. Muahah!

For someone who doesnt have Death from the Skies, it doesnt explain it entirely. What is this pursuit, agility thing?

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jul 22 2016 04:32

Pursuit is a number of inch you can add to your movement distance and agility is a number you have to be equal or lower when rolling a D6 to be able to make an additional turn with that unit.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jul 22 2016 04:51

Panzer wrote:Pursuit is a number of inch you can add to your movement distance and agility is a number you have to be equal or lower when rolling a D6 to be able to make an additional turn with that unit.

There is only one thing our fighter can't do. Make an additional turn since it isn't an interceptor. However to make that additional turn you need to pass an agility check. So that is literally the only downside to the Attack-Flyer FW has introduced. If they had given us the default multirole rules we would be firing at sky targets at BS 1 and all sorts of terrible stuff.

We are also fairly fast and maneuverable. So all this combines to possibly put the Barricuda in the top 5 flyers in the game. Possibly even top 3. I would need to see some math hammering done which I'm not good at. It's certainly more cost effective than three broadsides.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre

Post#9 » Jul 22 2016 04:54

It's good to see they included the normal Barracuda in the update as well. I still have no desire at all whatsoever for this newer replacement, but if by some miracle I ever get a hold of a pristine untouched original Barracuda then I might get some use out of it yet.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#10 » Jul 22 2016 05:09

Finally it lands on our planet.
Points are a steal IMHO compared to our other codex flyers. But made it appealing in our current choices (Hammerhead is the one that will suffer from the new 'cuda in the HS choices). Too bad it is not a FA choice, but with its weapon load, it hardly fit in FA.

Stats are good. Same than our codex flyers, but with +1 BS (I don't know much about DFTS stats).

Defense: with a Invulnerable 6+ and 5+ against hits... a little bit too much on this model, but helps mitigating the AV11/11/10, making it closer to an AV12/12/11 flyer below 200 pts. Add to this a +1 cover save with jink (saves a Dpod, but Dpod works even without jinking)

Offense: No penalties firing sky and ground ? Whoa ! (remember that firing from above make shot hits the side armor, so most ground targets are at best AV12, because few have AV13/14 on side)
Against flyers or anti-grav, the auto targetting all-around weapons are nice too (you can shot frontal, and the turn after shot the unprotected rear side).
The main weapon are a little short ranged, save from the ion, but with the flyer movement, nobody cares about shot distance outside of Apoc games. I would go for the Ion most of time, but the HBC seems shooty enough to take down hardened targets. Railgun is situationnal, but deadly against flyers (none I remember are AV13 or more, except for super heavy) and ground vehicle (firing from above).

Secondary weapons: LLBC ? how nice instead of BC ! Replacing them by CIB may the way to go against armored ground target to add to the MP fire, but for skyfire and mass infantry, they seems more efficient (FMC and low AV flyers with 12 S5 shots on them ? danger!)

The four Seekers are to be bought. A little downer here, but the new 'cuda rocks even without them (and we have other way to put Seekers at the same cost everywhere, like devilfishes, piranha, ...).

Return to “General Discussion”