New Barracuda is HERE!

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
User avatar
Panzer
Shas'La
Posts: 2637

Re: New Barracuda is HERE!

Post#51 » Jul 24 2016 05:40

Nah i bet my money on the text of the page of the shop simply being wrong. The one who wrote it probably didn't pay enough attention and did it in a hurry.

User avatar
nic
Kroot'La
Posts: 743

Re: New Barracuda is HERE!

Post#52 » Jul 24 2016 05:57

boomwolf wrote:PDTR won't really trigger.

Being a flyer you can't be charged at anyway, and being high up and having to move too much means your odds of actually being in supporting fire range is extremely low.

So far I found no reason to invest in any upgrades for the barracuda. Except maybe the CiBs


On a pan-flat table you would have to have a wing almost overhanging your unit for PDTR to work, perhaps I am just lucky that I hardly ever play on tables that boring. With a bit of terrain it is no problem, my infantry spend a lot of time in the upper levels of ruins 6" above ground level.

Good reminder by Vector Strike on the Stalkers, the low cost of the Decoy Launchers could be well worth it if Stalkers are reasonably common in your local area.

User avatar
nic
Kroot'La
Posts: 743

Re: New Barracuda is HERE!

Post#53 » Jul 24 2016 06:06

Panzer wrote:Nah i bet my money on the text of the page of the shop simply being wrong. The one who wrote it probably didn't pay enough attention and did it in a hurry.


I am pretty sure Pilky quoted the names from the instructions that come with the model and those match the narrative text on the FW page. The rules writing probably happened later and whoever did that decided to change it.

pilky
Shas'La
Posts: 244

Re: New Barracuda is HERE!

Post#54 » Jul 24 2016 08:55

nic wrote:
Panzer wrote:Nah i bet my money on the text of the page of the shop simply being wrong. The one who wrote it probably didn't pay enough attention and did it in a hurry.


I am pretty sure Pilky quoted the names from the instructions that come with the model and those match the narrative text on the FW page. The rules writing probably happened later and whoever did that decided to change it.


Yeah, it lists them as Long Barrelled CIBs on two separate pages of the instructions

User avatar
boomwolf
Shas'La
Posts: 1752

Re: New Barracuda is HERE!

Post#55 » Jul 24 2016 12:10

Instructions and sells description=/=rules.

The rules list them as auto-targeting cyclic ion blasters, the rules have a rule for auto-targeting, and there is nothing about "long barreled" cyclic ion blasters in the rules.

It matters not what it says ELSEWHERE, as long the rules are consistant, there is no reason to believe there is an issue.

User avatar
shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Posts: 962
Contact:

Re: New Barracuda is HERE!

Post#56 » Jul 24 2016 01:01

boomwolf wrote:Instructions and sells description=/=rules.

The rules list them as auto-targeting cyclic ion blasters, the rules have a rule for auto-targeting, and there is nothing about "long barreled" cyclic ion blasters in the rules.

It matters not what it says ELSEWHERE, as long the rules are consistant, there is no reason to believe there is an issue.

I agree about the point on rules. It is worth checking with forge world and perhaps asking then to clarify on their respective pages, online and in the fluff. However until otherwise we should follow the rules in the pdf.

halogod786
Shas'Saal
Posts: 41

Re: New Barracuda is HERE!

Post#57 » Jul 24 2016 01:42

I would like to point out as the 12th best tau player in the ITC that the "Empty Fast Attack slots" are actually filled with the best competitive for Tau. Let me explain, the XV-109. ( I personally call it the flametide) is probably the most overpowered battlesuit we have access to. Native BS 4 and the ability to pop any vehicle from Eldar transports to imperial Knights with ease. To its INSANE flamer cooking terminators and gaurd blobs alike.

What do we get with the barracuda as a heavy support slot. Well to be short, no one uses hammerheads in competitive play they are way to expensive and you get 1 shot. For its point value it's not worth it. The barracuda opens the door to new tactics I have been looking at ways to take down flying demon princes and flyrants without sinking so many points into velocity trakers on my riptides. Eldar flyers will be shredded by burst cannons. And actually the railgun might not be bad it's a good way to pop back feild artillery like warp hunters and mantacors.

mothyy
Shas'Saal
Posts: 32

Re: New Barracuda is HERE!

Post#58 » Jul 24 2016 03:07

boomwolf wrote:Instructions and sells description=/=rules.

The rules list them as auto-targeting cyclic ion blasters, the rules have a rule for auto-targeting, and there is nothing about "long barreled" cyclic ion blasters in the rules.

It matters not what it says ELSEWHERE, as long the rules are consistant, there is no reason to believe there is an issue.


Agreed, its always worth checking though. I've sent off an email on Friday so we'll hopefully know for sure.

Jacket
Shas'Saal
Posts: 352

Re: New Barracuda is HERE!

Post#59 » Jul 24 2016 03:34

halogod786 wrote:I would like to point out as the 12th best tau player in the ITC that the "Empty Fast Attack slots" are actually filled with the best competitive for Tau. Let me explain, the XV-109. ( I personally call it the flametide) is probably the most overpowered battlesuit we have access to. Native BS 4 and the ability to pop any vehicle from Eldar transports to imperial Knights with ease. To its INSANE flamer cooking terminators and gaurd blobs alike.

What do we get with the barracuda as a heavy support slot. Well to be short, no one uses hammerheads in competitive play they are way to expensive and you get 1 shot. For its point value it's not worth it. The barracuda opens the door to new tactics I have been looking at ways to take down flying demon princes and flyrants without sinking so many points into velocity trakers on my riptides. Eldar flyers will be shredded by burst cannons. And actually the railgun might not be bad it's a good way to pop back feild artillery like warp hunters and mantacors.

Indeed this thing is extremely points efficient. It saves you from needing markerlights for it (no need for skyfire markerlights), no need to pay to upgrade interceptor on broadsides/riptides/ghostkeel, and it can provide the ground support of a team of HYMP broadsides that is faster and more mobile.

By doing all of those things it is saving you a ton in the points department. Also yeah the XV 109 is glorious. I must get another two when I am exorbitantly rich in the future. I have one and oh my goodness it works wonders.

User avatar
boomwolf
Shas'La
Posts: 1752

Re: New Barracuda is HERE!

Post#60 » Jul 25 2016 02:21

As it is experimental, and a such of questionable use, I do not count the 109 in my calculations.

pilky
Shas'La
Posts: 244

Re: New Barracuda is HERE!

Post#61 » Jul 25 2016 02:39

boomwolf wrote:Instructions and sells description=/=rules.

The rules list them as auto-targeting cyclic ion blasters, the rules have a rule for auto-targeting, and there is nothing about "long barreled" cyclic ion blasters in the rules.

It matters not what it says ELSEWHERE, as long the rules are consistant, there is no reason to believe there is an issue.


Sure, the point is more that this isn't just a typo, and so they may change to be long barrelled in the rules at some point in the future. There are currently no rules for a long-barrelled CIBs, so maybe for the PDF release they opted just to use existing CIBs, and will add the new variant when the IA book comes out

mothyy
Shas'Saal
Posts: 32

Re: New Barracuda is HERE!

Post#62 » Jul 28 2016 07:12

Just before I buy one, will the auto-targeting weapons be BS4 or BS2? Not sure if they count as drone weapons or not. Cheers

User avatar
Illuria
Shas'Saal
Posts: 95

Re: New Barracuda is HERE!

Post#63 » Jul 28 2016 07:46

mothyy wrote:Just before I buy one, will the auto-targeting weapons be BS4 or BS2? Not sure if they count as drone weapons or not. Cheers

If you check the PDF, the auto-targeting weapons will be BS4 as the only mention of 'drones' is in the fluffy description on the Forgeworld page. Given the points cost as well I definitely think they should be BS4, as BS2 would neutralise a lot of the firepower.

mothyy
Shas'Saal
Posts: 32

Re: New Barracuda is HERE!

Post#64 » Jul 28 2016 08:00

That was my thoughts too, cheers.

User avatar
invasive wargaming
Shas'Saal
Posts: 9
Contact:

Re: New Barracuda is HERE!

Post#65 » Jul 29 2016 09:45

I think the Ion build is probably the best all-around build, but since that role can be filled by other units, the rail build is probably where the new AX-5-2 shines brightest. More thoughts here: https://youtu.be/zirV03mcwWk
Find me on youtube: Invasive Wargaming

mothyy
Shas'Saal
Posts: 32

Re: New Barracuda is HERE!

Post#66 » Jul 29 2016 02:02

Seems a pretty expensive way to get strength 10 shots no? It would be 195 points for a single shot (before ion upgrades), which you can't give tank hunter or anything.

User avatar
Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal
Posts: 278

Re: New Barracuda is HERE!

Post#67 » Jul 29 2016 03:02

mothyy wrote:Seems a pretty expensive way to get strength 10 shots no? It would be 195 points for a single shot (before ion upgrades), which you can't give tank hunter or anything.

You can't give it tank hunter, but you can aim at side or rear armor. Secondary guns are a lot more useful than a Hammerhead's secondaries.

User avatar
invasive wargaming
Shas'Saal
Posts: 9
Contact:

Re: New Barracuda is HERE!

Post#68 » Aug 06 2016 11:52

Unicornsilovethem wrote:
mothyy wrote:Seems a pretty expensive way to get strength 10 shots no? It would be 195 points for a single shot (before ion upgrades), which you can't give tank hunter or anything.

You can't give it tank hunter, but you can aim at side or rear armor. Secondary guns are a lot more useful than a Hammerhead's secondaries.


Additionally, it's much more difficult to kill. I think that's where the value really comes into play.
Find me on youtube: Invasive Wargaming

Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests