XV-109 Y'vharra battlesuit strategys

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Jacket
Shas'Saal

Re: XV-109 Y'vharra battlesuit strategys

Post#11 » Jul 25 2016 01:43

Raverrn wrote:Since when are Kroot and Riptides 'sub-par'?

I should clarify. I would run a single Riptide or less and then Kroot and Krootox ect. I would do a lot to tone down my list and they still couldn't beat it. I doubt if I fielded an entire army of vespid they could beat me. I even took pathfinders with upgrades. Brought shadowsun instead of a commander or buffmander and had her join a team of fusion suits. Even maxed out my Tau troop squads.

There was a few close games where I had a single unit left, but ultimately nothing I did could lose. I would probably have to go out of my way to skip shooting a turn to give them a chance to win. My only opponents are orks, IG, and Tyranids. Also my IG opponent thinks wyverns are one of the *BAD WORD DELETED!* units in the IG codex and nothing can convince him otherwise. I even told them to go for my markerlights and they never went for them except like once. I've even tried proxying my skyrays as devilfish and ended up tank shocking them off the board and disrupting them enough with getting in the way to shoot them.

Edit
I have tried using the burst tide. They said it was less powerful, but still over powered.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#12 » Jul 25 2016 03:07

Jacket wrote:
Raverrn wrote:Since when are Kroot and Riptides 'sub-par'?

I should clarify. I would run a single Riptide or less and then Kroot and Krootox ect. I would do a lot to tone down my list and they still couldn't beat it. I doubt if I fielded an entire army of vespid they could beat me. I even took pathfinders with upgrades. Brought shadowsun instead of a commander or buffmander and had her join a team of fusion suits. Even maxed out my Tau troop squads.

There was a few close games where I had a single unit left, but ultimately nothing I did could lose. I would probably have to go out of my way to skip shooting a turn to give them a chance to win. My only opponents are orks, IG, and Tyranids. Also my IG opponent thinks wyverns are one of the *BAD WORD DELETED!* units in the IG codex and nothing can convince him otherwise. I even told them to go for my markerlights and they never went for them except like once. I've even tried proxying my skyrays as devilfish and ended up tank shocking them off the board and disrupting them enough with getting in the way to shoot them.

Edit
I have tried using the burst tide. They said it was less powerful, but still over powered.

Well the way you describe it it seems your opponents are partly terrible player and partly use low tier armys and you are an above average player in the first place.
If they don't want to learn there is nothing you can do. Just stay friendly and let them play their game. Wait for them to come to you to get some help instead of trying to take the initiative on that and if they don't come to you then that's fine as well.
Also i wouldn't do such a thing as skipping an entire turn of shooting. That won't be fun for them at all.

Back then we had a player in our FLGS which was a lot better than most of us. He almost always beat us without a problem with his CQC dwarf army list (WHFB). Given we were still learning but he was a great guy who only gave us advice when we asked for it other than explaining rules so it was always a great atmosphere to play against him and it actually encouraged us to play smarter than we used to just because we wanted to not because he told us to.
He also never really toned his army down. It was not the kind of army he would field in bigger tournaments, just the kind of army he liked to play (which was still not bad at all with his skill).

halogod786
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Jul 25 2016 03:56

Assuming you're using the new FAQs, it is correct

First Draft FAQ wrote:Templates and Blasts

Q: In the case of a template weapon that fires two or more times (such as the Blood Angels’ frag cannon), do they still only inflict D3 hits when firing Overwatch, or D3 hits per number of shots in the weapon profile?
A: D3 hits per number of shots in the weapon’s profile.
[/quote]
Alright, hadn't seen that.[/quote]

I play ITC and as of now we don't use the FAQ we will be using it when it's official however it is not. And RAW if you have a weapon that fires twice it may shoot twice and also there is no other assault 2 flamer they don't exist outside of tau. So then it begs the question if you charge a Waithgaurd with D-scythes does that mean it can only fire a single D3 right. Not at all by shooting a assault 2 weapon fires twice following the same rules. As a multi shot weapon. All this is legal until the FAQ is released officially

Grogalmighty
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Jul 26 2016 09:24

I call mine the Red Baron.

The 109 is a gorgeous mini with rules you should expect to be changed by the next imperial armor. As it stands now it is a glass cannon, but evasive. The best upgrades you can give it are velocity tracker and stimulant injector.

Against any army with high AV or large numbers of vehicles and fliers it is pure death with its haywire burst and flamer, and it's ability to run from combat makes it slippery.

The problem is it is a bullet magnet and your enemies will divert attention to it like moths to a flame. You have to use it wisely. Your dtones weigh you down.

I strongly suggest you have homing beacons in your army for it to deep strike safely and plenty of support to make sure it doesn't die too soon.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Jul 26 2016 09:27

I sure hope they don't nerf it. If anything this and the new Barracuda need buffs. Tau is in dire need of potent toys. Particularly in the ITC. I would actually like it's stats to stay the same and it get some cool formations. If it's kept potent your average Tau haters will never have to fight it an engage their brain since its so rare outside the ITC, but it's still there for the ITC and advanced players to actually give our lists a chance at the top.

If this was a GW model it would almost certainly be nerfed into oblivion and called bloody murder unless it was a Necron, Eldar, or Space Marine release. Xenos can't have nice things. Look at the rage our Riptide gets and it's not even all that great compared to some of the super OP stuff out there these days. People just hate Tau.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#16 » Jul 26 2016 10:58

I actually wouldn't mind a slight nerf. It's an awesome model with awesome weapons but a little bit too strong for many casual games unfortunately.
A nerf of the actual unit and strong formations for the tournament player would be great imo.

Myrdin
Shas

Post#17 » Jul 26 2016 11:04

I am with Jacket on this one. Considering all the cheese that's being poured into other codices individual units (yes I am excluding formations, I don't like them. I prefered the old CAD style more).
So hopefully no nerf will follow up. From what I´ve seen there has not been so much hate for 109, like it was for 107 R´varna. Which in all honesty is not as OP. It just came out to early when more of the GW cheese was not yet out and thus earned a bucket of tears, hate and a nerf to go with it. Had it been released now, when the meta is full of Grav/D weapons and nonsense that allows you to assault from DS, it would suffer much less flame.
Last edited by Myrdin on Jul 26 2016 01:06, edited 1 time in total.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Jul 26 2016 12:00

Everything FW needs buffs. It needs to set the new Tau standard and make GW up its game with our codex units and updates in the future. Only FW have the ability to put pressure on GW by taking sales from them to their own Tau stuff.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#19 » Jul 26 2016 01:16

Well I guess I'm the only one who thinks Tau are in a good spot balance wise and other Codices should get nerfed or buffed to get on the same level as ours..

Blackskull
Shas

Post#20 » Jul 26 2016 04:05

Great thread. Before this I doubt whether I should buy Y`vhara or not. I like it over R`varna

Return to “General Discussion”