XV-109 Y'vharra battlesuit strategys

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Jacket
Shas'Saal

Re: XV-109 Y'vharra battlesuit strategys

Post#21 » Jul 26 2016 04:36

Panzer wrote:Well I guess I'm the only one who thinks Tau are in a good spot balance wise and other Codices should get nerfed or buffed to get on the same level as ours..

Oh if we were all brought down equally before 8th ed comes sure. Even bringing us down to the other armies levels (and buffing weaker armies) and finding a middle ground, but I got a feeling that won't happen till 8th and a completely new edition. So while we're still in this rat race we should get the buffs.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#22 » Jul 26 2016 11:13

Jacket wrote:
Panzer wrote:Well I guess I'm the only one who thinks Tau are in a good spot balance wise and other Codices should get nerfed or buffed to get on the same level as ours..

Oh if we were all brought down equally before 8th ed comes sure. Even bringing us down to the other armies levels (and buffing weaker armies) and finding a middle ground, but I got a feeling that won't happen till 8th and a completely new edition. So while we're still in this rat race we should get the buffs.

It. will never happen. There was never and will never be 100% balance between all armies in Warhammer. ;)

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Jul 27 2016 02:03

Panzer wrote:
Jacket wrote:

It. will never happen. There was never and will never be 100% balance between all armies in Warhammer. ;)

I should have specified. An attempt won't be made until 8th. Haha. :D

halogod786
Shas'Saal

Post#24 » Jul 28 2016 01:29

The thing is that for casual gaming we are the top. But to a tournament player if tau make a mistake we are crushed the other person will have armor 60 armor 3 compared to riptide wing of 15 wounds a single wound is devastating to a riptide based list and in our currant meta not taking riptides or our most OP stuff is statistical suicide firewarriors can't cut through that many MEQs or Demons or Eldar.

Grogalmighty
Shas'Saal

Post#25 » Jul 28 2016 11:23

Ok. I just wanted to clarify something and add an addendum.

There are two viable builds for the 109.

Red Baron: Stim injector and velocity tracker

Rope-a-Dope:Stim injector and early warning override.

The red baron is obvious but the Rope-a-Dope is a little more nuanced. If you deploy him round 1 against an enemy with deep strikers he becomes a juicy target for a drop attack and that's where the EWO comes into play. I have seen entire drop pods full of marines, grey knight terminators and dreadnought die the moment they appear next to him. If he survives and the enemy is still present into your next phase you can boost away or leave into reserves.

A note on drones: these are iffy because you can't leap with them and you cannot leave them until they die. I suggest combining them with the Rope-A-Dope version for a little extra survivability but the Red Baron load out doesn't work as well (you need to be quick to catch enemy fliers.)

halogod786
Shas'Saal

Post#26 » Jul 28 2016 02:47

Grogalmighty wrote:Ok. I just wanted to clarify something and add an addendum.

The red baron is obvious but the Rope-a-Dope is a little more nuanced. If you deploy him round 1 against an enemy with deep strikers he becomes a juicy target for a drop attack and that's where the EWO comes into play. I have seen entire drop pods full of marines, grey knight terminators and dreadnought die the moment they appear next to him. If he survives and the enemy is still present into your next phase you can boost away or leave into reserves.

A note on drones: these are iffy because you can't leap with them and you cannot leave them until they die. I suggest combining them with the Rope-A-Dope version for a little extra survivability but the Red Baron load out doesn't work as well (you need to be quick to catch enemy fliers.)

A agree with you on the Rope a dope 109. It really works out for the most part and while it's nice having skyfire on the 109 you might as well get 2 barracudas and call it a day skyfire stuff should be used by skyrays and barracudas because they are just more effective.

invasive wargaming
Shas'Saal

Post#27 » Jul 29 2016 09:34

materpillar wrote:
halogod786 wrote:if running farsight use the ECR as much as you can it will save your life

I assume you're talking about the earth caste pilot array right? Due note that with the new (draft) FAQ rolling gets hot for blasts (and thus I assume templates) isn't a to hit roll, thus you can't use the earth caste array to reroll a 1 you'd roll on your gets hot check for your flamers.

Please note that the rules for the Y'Vahra specify that it can only be taken in a Codex: Tau Empire Detachment.
Find me on youtube: Invasive Wargaming

Grogalmighty
Shas'Saal

Post#28 » Jul 29 2016 01:03

Well its good news that Farsight Enclaves count as Tau Empire according to their own book, otherwise you would have a point to make.

Grogalmighty
Shas'Saal

Post#29 » Jul 29 2016 01:09

halogod786 wrote:
Grogalmighty wrote:Ok. I just wanted to clarify something and add an addendum.

A agree with you on the Rope a dope 109. It really works out for the most part and while it's nice having skyfire on the 109 you might as well get 2 barracudas and call it a day skyfire stuff should be used by skyrays and barracudas because they are just more effective.

I disagree. With the haywire burst rule and superior survivability the 109 is cheaper, more flexible and more effective. Also, the sky ray sucks at AA

invasive wargaming
Shas'Saal

Post#30 » Jul 29 2016 01:36

Grogalmighty wrote:Well its good news that Farsight Enclaves count as Tau Empire according to their own book, otherwise you would have a point to make.

Thank you for your courteous reply. Can you indicate where precisely this is stated? As far as I can tell, the closest is as follows:
Farsight Enclaves p.52 wrote:If you wish, you can say that any Tau detachment or Formation in your army is from the Farsight Enclaves

This indicates that Tau detachments can be Farsight Enclaves detachments, but does not say that they are the same thing. They are distinct, as indicated on page 54:

The Dawn Blade Contingent is a Farsight Enclaves Detachment as described on page 52.

Combined, these two statements indicate that Tau units can belong to either a Tau Empire detachment, or a Farsight Enclaves detachment. A detachment from the main codex is a "Codex: Tau Empire detachment," while one taken from the Farsight Enclaves is a "Farsight Enclaves detachment."

The specification in the Y'Vahra rules that specify that it cannot take Farsight Enclaves support systems is in-line with Y'Vahra not being available to Farsight Enclaves detachments.

There is still a way to get Y'Vahra in a Farsight army, however, since you can have multiple detachments within a single army.
Find me on youtube: Invasive Wargaming

Return to “General Discussion”