XV-109 Y'vharra battlesuit strategys

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Grogalmighty
Shas

Re: XV-109 Y'vharra battlesuit strategys

Post#31 » Jul 29 2016 02:46

....in no way does it say that your tau detachment is not still a tau detachment just because you take it as farsight enclaves. You are just stacking one rule over another by taking it.

By your own wording there is nothing that states the FSE list is not a TE list, just a TE list with additional rules. It's just like Iyanden is still craft world eldar, just specifically iyanden with its own specific rules. Frankly it can be interpreted either way.

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui

Post#32 » Jul 29 2016 03:27

invasive wargaming wrote:
Grogalmighty wrote:Well its good news that Farsight Enclaves count as Tau Empire according to their own book, otherwise you would have a point to make.

Thank you for your courteous reply. Can you indicate where precisely this is stated? As far as I can tell, the closest is as follows:
Farsight Enclaves p.52 wrote:If you wish, you can say that any Tau detachment or Formation in your army is from the Farsight Enclaves

This indicates that Tau detachments can be Farsight Enclaves detachments, but does not say that they are the same thing. They are distinct, as indicated on page 54:

The Dawn Blade Contingent is a Farsight Enclaves Detachment as described on page 52.

Combined, these two statements indicate that Tau units can belong to either a Tau Empire detachment, or a Farsight Enclaves detachment. A detachment from the main codex is a "Codex: Tau Empire detachment," while one taken from the Farsight Enclaves is a "Farsight Enclaves detachment."

The specification in the Y'Vahra rules that specify that it cannot take Farsight Enclaves support systems is in-line with Y'Vahra not being available to Farsight Enclaves detachments.

There is still a way to get Y'Vahra in a Farsight army, however, since you can have multiple detachments within a single army.

Hey there!,

Please note that a "Codex" and "Detachment" are not the same thing.
One refers to all the army-rules and unit choices avaible to that army (Codex) While the other is a method of assembling a list of models to play with. (Detachment)

Farsight Enclaves Detachments are still part of Codex: Tau Empire, They're just being supplemented with a few additions/exceptions as listed under the Farsight Enclaves books.
There is no such thing as a "Codex: Farsight Enclaves".

-Derp
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Technomagier
Shas'Saal

Post#33 » Jul 30 2016 07:36

I prefer my 109 with SI und EWO Systems. I never use drones on him. He is a beast, and thanks to the fakt, that my local meta has a lot of Astartes and Eldar, I'm not asamed of using it. Only when Nids or Orcs are fielded, I'm using it in a suboptimal way or ask, if I can change my list afterwards, to tone it somewhat down. In casual games, I didn't use two XV 10[n]. I use hin in addition with remoras and sentry turrets. And hopefully with a barracuda in the near future. My AA are a skyray, my remoras and sometimes Deathrain Crisis or Broadsides.

He normally plays the role of a distraction unit and bullet magnet. And if my opponent fields something very enerving, like a [smth]knight, I use him head on in my turn and evacuate in the opponents turn, to bring it down in max. 2 turns*. My regular Armybuild right now is a CAD and Remora Wing. A thing I will try in one of my next games, is a 109 with the support of a Coldstar Commander. I think, they will make a nice "couple" together. :dead: They are both fast and have both this asymetrical feeling in their weapons.

*support from other units are o/c suggested.

invasive wargaming
Shas'Saal

Post#34 » Aug 01 2016 03:26

ShasODerpy wrote:
One refers to all the army-rules and unit choices avaible to that army (Codex) While the other is a method of assembling a list of models to play with. (Detachment)

Yep, I was not contesting that.

ShasODerpy wrote:There is no such thing as a "Codex: Farsight Enclaves".

Also true.

ShasODerpy wrote:Farsight Enclaves Detachments are still part of Codex: Tau Empire, They're just being supplemented with a few additions/exceptions as listed under the Farsight Enclaves books.

So, I think this is where I run into an issue. Farsight Enclaves are not part of Codex: Tau Empire, they're part of Codex Supplement: Farsight Enclaves. They are separate books. However, all tau units (regardless of source material) are part of the Tau Empire faction. This is why the wording on the Y'Vahra rules ("...in a Codex: Tau Empire detachment") suggest to me that the Y'Vahra can only be taken in non-FSE detachments. If I'm wrong, it would be less ambiguous to have it worded as "...in a detachment with the Tau Empire faction."

All this said, it seems like I'm in the minority and that most people play it as Y'Vahra can be taken in FSE. While I haven't been able to find a definitive consensus in ATT forums or in ITC rulings, it seems like ITC is cool with Y'Vahra in FSE lists. So, I would be fine accepting this ruling.
Find me on youtube: Invasive Wargaming

budro
Shas

Post#35 » Aug 03 2016 05:14

I usually only put ewo on mine. Stims if I have the points, but I really don't expect him to last longer then 3 turns max anyway. By that time he's already killed a ton of points and protected my Ripwing by taking shots. I never take velocity trackers on anything. With tetras on the board and a general dearth of flyers in the region I play in (Nova), vt is just a waste of points. Plus I run my Ripwing with hbc.

I've found that starting him on the board is usually the best option. A first turn swoop and then he's in the enemy's ranks flaming death on all and sundry. Sure he dies a glorious death, but the rest of the army is free to position and shoot from afar.

Illuria
Shas'Saal

Post#36 » Aug 03 2016 05:53

invasive wargaming wrote:
ShasODerpy wrote:

Yep, I was not contesting that.

ShasODerpy wrote:There is no such thing as a "Codex: Farsight Enclaves".

Also true.

ShasODerpy wrote:Farsight Enclaves Detachments are still part of Codex: Tau Empire, They're just being supplemented with a few additions/exceptions as listed under the Farsight Enclaves formations, which was clarified by the recent draft FAQ.

So, I think this is where I run into an issue. Farsight Enclaves are not part of Codex: Tau Empire, they're part of Codex Supplement: Farsight Enclaves. They are separate books. However, all tau units (regardless of source material) are part of the Tau Empire faction. This is why the wording on the Y'Vahra rules ("...in a Codex: Tau Empire detachment") suggest to me that the Y'Vahra can only be taken in non-FSE detachments. If I'm wrong, it would be less ambiguous to have it worded as "...in a detachment with the Tau Empire faction."

All this said, it seems like I'm in the minority and that most people play it as Y'Vahra can be taken in FSE. While I haven't been able to find a definitive consensus in ATT forums or in ITC rulings, it seems like ITC is cool with Y'Vahra in FSE lists. So, I would be fine accepting this ruling.

The thing I think you're missing here is that the FSE book is a Codex Supplement. The key word is 'supplement'. In English, at least, this means that is intended to add on to the original, not replace it. This can easily be seen by the fact that certain formations on the Dawn Blade Contingent listing say 'See Codex: Tau Empire' (at least, they do in Mont'ka, they might be included in FSE but it doesn't diminish my argument much). You can also take any formations that are in the Codex: Tau Empire book as Farsight Enclaves formations, as clarified by the recent draft FAQ.
Thus, my interpretation is that FSE is to Codex: Tau Empire as square is to rectangle. A FSE army is a Codex: Tau Empire army with extra requirements to be valid, just as a square is a rectangle with extra requirements.
All FSE armies are Codex: Tau Empire armies, but not all Codex: Tau Empire armies are FSE armies, just as all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares.
Last edited by Illuria on Aug 03 2016 07:04, edited 1 time in total.

Vector Strike
Shas'La

Post#37 » Aug 03 2016 06:22

Yeah, the new FSE book (and Mont'ka as well) tells us their rules are just a template you put over your Tau models. And even the fluff says Tau stuff is smuggled to FSE space from time to time - so not reason to not have the newest advancements only for Tau Empire.

Grogalmighty wrote: Also, the sky ray sucks at AA

What? A thread ins this own site showed us the Sky Ray is our best AA option...

halogod786
Shas'Saal

Post#38 » Aug 03 2016 02:38

Guys we should not argue about detachments and codexes. You create a division in the greater good divided we are weak together we are strong so that being said you can bring and allied detachment of farsight enclaves to get access to all the wargear and OBSEC suits. For the tau empire detachment you can just put a fireblade to supplement your firewarriors. And it will give you access to the XV-109s. Invasive Ramnus is right you can't stick the ECR on the flametides.

But either way no opponent is going to look at that rule either because In the eyes of the gui'la and other enemy's of the greater good. Farsight enclaves and Tau empire are the same thing. So you can get away with it.

By the way whoever said that the skyray is bad against flyers 3 words:
Skyfire networked markerlights.

Vector Strike
Shas'La

Post#39 » Aug 03 2016 07:15

halogod786 wrote:Guys we should not argue about detachments and codexes. You create a division in the greater good divided we are weak together we are strong so that being said you can bring and allied detachment of farsight enclaves to get access to all the wargear and OBSEC suits. For the tau empire detachment you can just put a fireblade to supplement your firewarriors. And it will give you access to the XV-109s. Invasive Ramnus is right you can't stick the ECR on the flametides.

But either way no opponent is going to look at that rule either because In the eyes of the gui'la and other enemy's of the greater good. Farsight enclaves and Tau empire are the same thing. So you can get away with it.

By the way whoever said that the skyray is bad against flyers 3 words:
Skyfire networked markerlights.

No, you cannot have an Allied Detachment from any Tau book, if your Primary Detachment is from any Tau book as well.

Any Tau material (Tau codex, Kauyon, Mont'ka, Farsight Enclaves supplement, Imperial Armour 3, future Imperial Armour 14 and all dataslates from Forge World, as also Ethereal Guard formation from starter set and Burning Dawn Infiltration cade from the same name box) are part of the Tau faction. Your Primary Detachment (which is anyone you Warlord is part of) forbids you to take an Allied Detachment from the same faction of it.

What you can do is this:
CAD Tau Empire
CAD Farsight Enclaves
AD Eldar
Skyblight Tyranid formation

You cannot do this:
CAD Tau Empire
AD Farsight Enclaves
AD Eldar
Skyblight Tyranid formation

halogod786
Shas'Saal

Post#40 » Aug 04 2016 12:30

Actually you can have a allied detachment because on the allies Chart in the FSE book it states that tau empire are battle brothers. But like I said it really doesn't matter no one brings it up in ITC tournaments also because of ITCs detachment rules you can pretty much do whatever you want as long as you are not come the apocalypse with someone. But what I'm saying there is no point in trying to fight about detachments.

Return to “General Discussion”