New Tigershark?

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Tearphoenix
Shas'La

Re: TigerShark - Missing

Post#11 » Nov 10 2016 02:21

I can't find any confirmation on this yet, but this image showed up in a couple of Tau FB groups today. Apparently from Open Day last weekend?

Can anyone confirm if this is legit?

I am quite hopeful if it is since I had yet to pick up either of the variants before they pulled them from the store.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Nov 13 2016 07:12

If it gets two shots with the Ta'unar's heavy rail rifle then ouch it is going to destroy a lot and probably be a better anti-titan vehicle than the Ta'unar. Here's hoping it gets the full rules.

Also as a newbie to Tau and FW has the Manta ever been recast? So much of our GW range has been updated that the army inside looks a little dated now. I only want to get the Manta when it gets a recast. Do we think there is a realistic possibility of that ever happening?

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre

Post#13 » Nov 13 2016 09:09

Jacket wrote:Also as a newbie to Tau and FW has the Manta ever been recast? So much of our GW range has been updated that the army inside looks a little dated now. I only want to get the Manta when it gets a recast. Do we think there is a realistic possibility of that ever happening?

To my knowledge the Manta has never been redesigned from it's original iteration, and I wouldn't say it's that likely. If I remember right the Manta is cast on demand rather than kept in regular stock (I.E. they only ever cast a kit if someone orders one rather than constantly producing them and keeping them in storage), and given the Manta's impressive price I can't imagine that many people having ordered them over the years, so I imagine the moulds would probably still be in fairly good condition, which limits the chances of it being redone - usually if a Forgeworld model is discontinued it's because there's something wrong with the mould (like it's worn out, as with the heavy gun drone burst cannons that got replaced a few years ago). It might happen years and years from now, but I would be very surprised if it happened in the immediate future.

Personally I'm praying with all my might that they never touch the Manta's design. I have consistently hated every single model redesign they have done for the last 3 years now, which means the Manta is the last remaining Tau aircraft I would have any interest in buying from Forgeworld directly (well, that and the Remoras, but I'm not entirely sure they count).
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Nov 13 2016 09:52

I have a weird gut feeling that they are going to. It's really showing its age and if the fine looking Tigershark is getting some love when it really didn't need it since it's not that drastic of an updated design. I can't see the much more necessary Manta update not happening.

It just so happens I am in a position to buy one if it gets updated but this is a limited window depending on what else comes out thus year and life factors ect.

I'm the opposite of you I love all the model updates they've done to the Tau same with GW. They've hit a whole new level of quality and style with the Barracuda in particular. After my Ta'nar is done months form now I intend to grab two barracuda, two tri axis, and possibly a R'varnah.

Vector Strike
Shas'La

Post#15 » Nov 14 2016 08:03

Jacket wrote:If it gets two shots with the Ta'unar's heavy rail rifle then ouch it is going to destroy a lot and probably be a better anti-titan vehicle than the Ta'unar. Here's hoping it gets the full rules.

I'd like to see it as well, but sadly GW and FW have a thing for two equal weapons close to each other = twin-linked. 2 D shots are much better than 1 twin-lnked.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Nov 14 2016 05:17

If it's twinlinked and at least gets the cool induction rule of the Taunar one then it basically means almost guaranteed 4-6 all the time. I would much prefer two though to set it more apart from the Ta'unar. Ah well time will tell.

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La

Post#17 » Nov 14 2016 08:16

Looks like it has two of those "chaff" drones we don't know anything about.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Nov 14 2016 09:51

I just realized something about the above image. Those aren't the old railguns in the top they are Ion Guns of some kind. Interesting. This makes me much more interested in the model.

This is the old Tigershark here and you can see the old railguns up front. I can't believe I didn't notice it until now. Or has it always had options for those?

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre

Post#19 » Nov 14 2016 10:27

Jacket wrote:I just realized something about the above image. Those aren't the old railguns in the top they are Ion Guns of some kind. Interesting. This makes me much more interested in the model.

This is the old Tigershark here and you can see the old railguns up front. I can't believe I didn't notice it until now. Or has it always had options for those?

They're ion cannons unless I'm mistaken, and they've always been on the Tigershark. The standard Tigershark has always had two ion cannons as well as missile pods and burst cannons (basically a double-up of the Barracuda's armament), along with an internal bay that could be loaded with lots of gun drones or a bunch of seeker missiles. The Tigershark AX-1-0 was a later variant that featured the two heavy railguns (plus some seeker missiles and a networked markerlight.

What's more noteworthy is that it seems the new model has options for turret-mounted ion guns if the second picture is anything to go by.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Nov 14 2016 10:47

So its probably the two different versions then. I already noted the ion guns on its wing tips. Hmmm it's a good looking model but I think I'm going to pass unless the rules are really good.

Return to “General Discussion”