The Academy Project

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Ell'ran
Shas'Vre

The Academy Project

Post#1 » Nov 09 2016 11:03

Alright, so I've been mulling this over in my head for a long while now and I decided now was as good a time as any to do this, so lets see what can be done. The Academy Articles are virtually non-existent, this is a fact that is well known on the Orbital and one that saddens many of the older members. The Academy Articles used to be a great resource for many aspiring commanders to draw useful and unbiased field experience from, and it did much to set us apart from other communities online. And while the Academy does have a wealth of knowledge in it currently, even the articles that Babaganoosh had written are in need of an update.

This is why I have come today asking for a team of volunteers to help piece together a new set of Academy Articles. It is not an easy task, and definitely not one I would be able to accomplish by myself. As for the prerequisites on signing up to help, rank is not important. All that is important is that you show a clear understanding of the rules and units within our codex, be willing to contribute to the Academy Project in a positive fashion, and be capable of working as a team with myself and the other members who have volunteered for this task.

Once we have a team assembled we will then decide on which articles to tackle first.

I look forward to hearing your responses.
-LR :fear:

Tael
Fio'O

Re: The Academy Project

Post#2 » Nov 09 2016 11:12

I'm no rules guy, but I can make any imagery and movement plan graphics you guys need :)

Ell'ran
Shas'Vre

Post#3 » Nov 09 2016 11:17

Glad to hear! Ideally I would like to have a header image, as well as a little fluff intro like they used to have, so it's not just the field commanders that will participate in the project.

SniperTau
Shas'La

Post#4 » Nov 10 2016 12:07

I will help as I have a good understanding of the rules and would love to contribute to the orbital.

Tau'va

Snipertau

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#5 » Nov 10 2016 01:59

I'm willing to help as well.
Due to financial issues i don't have as much actual experience but i'm very active in other 40k communities, exchanging informations, learning and helping others already.
So I might not know about the more subtle nuances of the competetive meta but I know about the general meta and what our Codex is capable of.
I dare say there arn't many (if any) things that are hidden from me in our Codex plus Supplements. ;)

nic
Kroot'La

Post#6 » Nov 10 2016 03:22

I would be happy to contribute. I was fairly enthusiastic for this a while back but it did not seem that there was enough community drive behind getting articles up to the standard and then across to the academy.

boomwolf
Shas'La

Post#7 » Nov 10 2016 03:30

I can help.

My strong sides are mostly in theorycraft, raw data analysis and such.
As for tactics, I'm more of a brute force type rather then finesse, so things like positional play and such are not my stronger suits.

But if you need raw value analysis, mathhammer or unit comparison-i can cover that.

In any case.
What we need to do is order things up, designate workload and make sure someone with authority to put things in the academy plays along. I've seen several articles before worthy of the Academy that simply weren't out there (heck, even wrote a few. Made an entire article of only when is the FnP upgrade worth the cost)
If we write things and they don't get sorted into a proper "codex", we achieved nothing.

EDIT:
I totally forgot about this one, but apparently at some point in the past I attempted to create a "Tactical compendium" that is sort of an index for other articles by topic. Maybe it will be useful as a basepoint to create a new index for this project:

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=23226

It would need to actually get filled up, and some of the things it links to are probably no longer relevant or not quite up to date-but nonetheless, it should prove useful.

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Nov 10 2016 10:25

I too would like to help with this project, however; (no joke intended) we are living in the end times. The latest Bell of Lost Souls has WH40k rule book coming out in April 2017; and yes we too are getting the "Age of Sigmar" treatment: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/11/40k-rumors-sisters-of-battle-8th-ed.html

For whatever it is worth.

The TauMan
And so it begins...
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#9 » Nov 10 2016 12:03

Honestly I wouldn't give two...you know what...about what BolS says. Especially when it comes from some unknown source who never posted any rumours before.
Sounds to me more like someone who gives some vague informations based on earlier rumours just so he gets the fame of "Ha! Told ya!" if it happens that some of it is right.

Dal'yth Shas'len'ra
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Nov 10 2016 01:27

I would be interested in helping. But my plate is a bit full right now so I wouldn't be able to do to much before the 2nd week of December. I've had a good amount of experience using some of the units in our codex that don't appear in the tournament meta, such Aun'shi, Aun'va, Vespids, and Sniper Drones among others (Sniper Drones are really underestimated by a lot of players, Tau or not).

Ell'ran
Shas'Vre

Post#11 » Nov 10 2016 04:26

Good to see a decent turnout in interest. Unfortunately I'm going to be gone for the weekend, so when i don't reply it's not because of a lack of interest in the project, it's because I literally can't reply, lol.

To those of you who wanted to work on just the general articles, until I get back I would like those of you who have and have not expressed their interest, but are still looking to work on the project to review and update Babaganoosh's Fire Warrior article, and bring it up to the current standards. Feel free to remake it however you want, just don't expect everything to get used. This is more to see where your strong points are as part of the project. When you're done just PM it to me and I'll review them all. SniperTau, Panzer and nic, this is mostly aimed at you guys. If you guys are feeling motivated, you can do the same to his Kroot article as well.

Boomwolf, I have a special task for you if you're up for it. If it doesn't already exist, could you break down the Pulse Blaster's unsaved wounds by range? Ideally it would be a chart going from T3 to T6 (I was going to say T3, T4, and T6 but Darkstrider's significance cannot be ignored vs MCs). Additionally, could you make another chart for unsaved wounds with cover/invul saves from 3+ to 5+? Anything else you think would be useful feel free to add it in.

Tauman, I don't have any faith in rumors on the internet. It's far too early to even begin to think about where they might take it, and rumor-mongers will always try to do things to gain their 15 minutes. If you change your mind about wanting to help just let me know.

Shas'len'ra, Let me know when you've got the time and we'll find something for you to do. :) I've got about 60% of an old Vespid article finished, but I'm very unhappy with it in its current state, so maybe if you decide to help with the project I'll have you look over that.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#12 » Nov 10 2016 07:26

If you require graphics - please PM a sketch or rough digital art and I will render it up with my library of icons etc.

I'll be working on a new header graphic for articles meanwhile.

boomwolf
Shas'La

Post#13 » Nov 11 2016 01:47

I can do that sometime next week. Maybe Sunday, maybe later.

NoobPwner84
Shas'La

Post#14 » Nov 11 2016 06:03

Hello.

I'd like to contribute if I could. Though I have moved on to Necrons whilst living in the Southern Hemisphere, I played nearly exclusively Tau at some of the UK's big tournies for 2 years. I wrote a piece on the Optimsed Stealth Cadre formation some time back.
The true warrior engages only the worthy opponent

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Nov 11 2016 07:47

I've unfortunately let my current rules knowledge slide... The bloat of this edition has gotten to much for me to bother with and with the eve of next edition on the horizon I've little motivation at the moment to learn all the intricacies... I'd however be more than up for it when the next edition hits. I wish you all the best of luck and look forward to seeing the results.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#16 » Nov 11 2016 06:15

At this stage, it would be best for all first time contributors to have a review of established articles to get a feel for the content layout and writing style (to seperate personal opinion from factual evidence)

There is a hidden think tank section which I will work to reopen for each contributor access.

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui

Post#17 » Nov 12 2016 08:07

I can be more useful for this on the hobby side of the articles. Simple kit bashes and little tricks is what I do best since I don't game much more beyond casual. I can talk about things like how well, for example, Fire Warrior kits can be added to by left over bits from Pathfinder, Ghost Keel, and Stromsurge kits. If you feel that is something we could add to these articles.

Czar Ziggy

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#18 » Nov 12 2016 08:16

It is great to see the interest in adding to and improving these articles unfortunately I am not a rules wizard so can not really offer any assistance as I am more involved on the model side.... saying that, if anyone needs help with magnets then I am the Shas to see ;)

Return to “General Discussion”