The Academy Project

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Ell'ran
Shas'Vre

Re: The Academy Project

Post#11 » Nov 10 2016 04:26

Good to see a decent turnout in interest. Unfortunately I'm going to be gone for the weekend, so when i don't reply it's not because of a lack of interest in the project, it's because I literally can't reply, lol.

To those of you who wanted to work on just the general articles, until I get back I would like those of you who have and have not expressed their interest, but are still looking to work on the project to review and update Babaganoosh's Fire Warrior article, and bring it up to the current standards. Feel free to remake it however you want, just don't expect everything to get used. This is more to see where your strong points are as part of the project. When you're done just PM it to me and I'll review them all. SniperTau, Panzer and nic, this is mostly aimed at you guys. If you guys are feeling motivated, you can do the same to his Kroot article as well.

Boomwolf, I have a special task for you if you're up for it. If it doesn't already exist, could you break down the Pulse Blaster's unsaved wounds by range? Ideally it would be a chart going from T3 to T6 (I was going to say T3, T4, and T6 but Darkstrider's significance cannot be ignored vs MCs). Additionally, could you make another chart for unsaved wounds with cover/invul saves from 3+ to 5+? Anything else you think would be useful feel free to add it in.

Tauman, I don't have any faith in rumors on the internet. It's far too early to even begin to think about where they might take it, and rumor-mongers will always try to do things to gain their 15 minutes. If you change your mind about wanting to help just let me know.

Shas'len'ra, Let me know when you've got the time and we'll find something for you to do. :) I've got about 60% of an old Vespid article finished, but I'm very unhappy with it in its current state, so maybe if you decide to help with the project I'll have you look over that.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#12 » Nov 10 2016 07:26

If you require graphics - please PM a sketch or rough digital art and I will render it up with my library of icons etc.

I'll be working on a new header graphic for articles meanwhile.

boomwolf
Shas'La

Post#13 » Nov 11 2016 01:47

I can do that sometime next week. Maybe Sunday, maybe later.

NoobPwner84
Shas'La

Post#14 » Nov 11 2016 06:03

Hello.

I'd like to contribute if I could. Though I have moved on to Necrons whilst living in the Southern Hemisphere, I played nearly exclusively Tau at some of the UK's big tournies for 2 years. I wrote a piece on the Optimsed Stealth Cadre formation some time back.
The true warrior engages only the worthy opponent

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Nov 11 2016 07:47

I've unfortunately let my current rules knowledge slide... The bloat of this edition has gotten to much for me to bother with and with the eve of next edition on the horizon I've little motivation at the moment to learn all the intricacies... I'd however be more than up for it when the next edition hits. I wish you all the best of luck and look forward to seeing the results.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#16 » Nov 11 2016 06:15

At this stage, it would be best for all first time contributors to have a review of established articles to get a feel for the content layout and writing style (to seperate personal opinion from factual evidence)

There is a hidden think tank section which I will work to reopen for each contributor access.

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui

Post#17 » Nov 12 2016 08:07

I can be more useful for this on the hobby side of the articles. Simple kit bashes and little tricks is what I do best since I don't game much more beyond casual. I can talk about things like how well, for example, Fire Warrior kits can be added to by left over bits from Pathfinder, Ghost Keel, and Stromsurge kits. If you feel that is something we could add to these articles.

Czar Ziggy

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#18 » Nov 12 2016 08:16

It is great to see the interest in adding to and improving these articles unfortunately I am not a rules wizard so can not really offer any assistance as I am more involved on the model side.... saying that, if anyone needs help with magnets then I am the Shas to see ;)

nic
Kroot'La

Post#19 » Nov 12 2016 10:09

Ell'ran wrote:Good to see a decent turnout in interest. Unfortunately I'm going to be gone for the weekend, so when i don't reply it's not because of a lack of interest in the project, it's because I literally can't reply, lol.

To those of you who wanted to work on just the general articles, until I get back I would like those of you who have and have not expressed their interest, but are still looking to work on the project to review and update Babaganoosh's Fire Warrior article, and bring it up to the current standards. Feel free to remake it however you want, just don't expect everything to get used. This is more to see where your strong points are as part of the project. When you're done just PM it to me and I'll review them all. SniperTau, Panzer and nic, this is mostly aimed at you guys. If you guys are feeling motivated, you can do the same to his Kroot article as well.

I had a brief discussion with Babaganoosh a while back about that article so I already knew some minor changes I wanted to make. The same goes for the Kroot article.

Is there any interest in looking at some fundamentals of list building and play styles? We have an article on Detachments/Formations but what I was thinking was more along the lines of an article explaining each of the fundamental approaches such as MSU and how/if that is supported by the Tau codex and how that pulls through into play on the table. If we did tackle this then my experience is very much at the MSU end, I do not run death-star Crisis units or massed MC/GMC so I would not want to take the lead on articles explaining how to do so. We can include some Tau-specific ones such as Ninja-Tau (although arguably the new GSC achieve some similar effects by very different means).

I think the final thing I would like to be clear on is the level we are pitching this at. I am confident in my ability to explain aspects of the game for store/club/local tournament play - I have far less interest in articles pitched at "I want to win Adeptacon/LVO" for a few reasons
  • It is for a very narrow audience
  • I really do not think the players in a position to win these events need to read advice on ATT
  • The advice would need to be different for each format (ITC/ETC etc) anyway

Tael
Fio'O

Post#20 » Nov 12 2016 02:09

It is for a very narrow audience
I really do not think the players in a position to win these events need to read advice on ATT
The advice would need to be different for each format (ITC/ETC etc) anyway

Tend to agree somewhat - sites like WarhammerTau which are dedicated to exploring competitive Tau forces are the sort of site they visit.

My hope would be a good resource for folks to see what units are capable of and where they suffer to make informed gameplay and buying decisions as they expand their collection.

Return to “General Discussion”