A big thank you to this site!

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Shas'o Vior'La
Shas'Saal

A big thank you to this site!

Post#1 » Nov 11 2016 06:48

So..I've admittedly not actively logged into my profile in years. However, I have to thank the owners/moderators of this forum and the amazing community.

Allow me to explain(ohgod sorry for text wall)

At my local game store, I was the only tau player. For literally years. Since FoF was a thing initially, I was the only Tau player. I started when I was 12 and absolutely loved the army. Now, I got used to for a LONG time being the "punching bag" of sorts. Even though I won about..I want to say 60% of my matches, because Tau were considered underwhelming in 4th ed, and laughing.gif worthy weak in 5th ed, people always ragged on it. Sure my friends were chill about it but a lot of older players or more "elite" players ragged on me. Iron wolves players were the only ones that didn't talk smack, because well..railguns 5th ed ate their transports and powderized them.

So I didn't have much of a community to support my love of Tau. Then I found this site. Oh man...

My shyness was a hurdle I couldn't climb for quite some time to talk to everyone. I loved reading the conversations though. Theory crafting. Brainstorming. Strategizing and discussing tacticis. It was amazing.

A year or two came and went and I got big into roleplaying online. Admittedly I wasn't amazing, but there was one thing I'd always wanted to do and never got to. 40k Roleplay.

Until April 1st..2013.

Embrace Change. Haha..I remember logging onto the site first thing in the morning when I got to my university. I was sooooo confused! Baffled even. When I saw that rp thread? Hooooooo boy, I lost my mind. A chance to roleplay 40k? Amazing. The atmospheric set up of the space station under siege? Beautiful. Perfect.

All the characters of varied rp levels? Wonderful. I remember rping as a riptide pilot. One of two before the other got off for the day. Just..roleplaying as that heavy hitter. Saving a squad of fire warriors from 3 soul grinders before a unit of XV-88 Broadsides backed me up. Helping level a Daemon prince with a group. Haha..I remember being terrified because someone rped Tainted Tau taking hold of a Manta and opening up on me! I remember all of it man..that core room rp with the bird of change vs my riptide as everyone battled around us. Just..yes. All of the yes.

I even remember a guy rping a Tau bringing in Orks for help, and the orcs like..picked him up so he could get to the "glorious fight" faster by throwing him INTO bloodletters. Even now friends and I joke about those orcs.

And well..that's the point of this brief spew. I think, every friend I've talked to about 40k..I end up bringing that rp to them. We laugh and joke, and transition into 40k lore or the such.

It's made that event, and the people involved etched into my mind. So much so that three years later I still randomly remember it, and well..it always brings a smile to my face.

So thank you, Advanced Tau Tactica. Thank you for making memories that've literally lasted years and still bring a smile to my face. I may not speak often, or gaze at the site all the time...but damn if you guys aren't great. <3

Tael
Fio'O

Re: A big thank you to this site!

Post#2 » Nov 13 2016 08:56

Thanks Shas'O Vior'la - that was a particularly fun episode for ATT April anomaly day. ;)

I recall taking on the various members during that event, great fun. My personal favourite was the Necontyr whom had insidiously gained access to ATT over the years. Classic Bond villain stuff.

Makes it very worthwhile when the commnity joins in for a day of madness - nice to be crazy when normally good conversation and rules ideas reign the forum :)

For the uninformed, here is the link to the main RP Thread for 2013 - Click if you dare!

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre

Post#3 » Nov 13 2016 11:29

Of all the April Fool's battles so far, I still think Embrace Change was the best. While A Miniature Vesa is slightly longer, the level of activity, atmosphere and sheer intensity of the whole thing has never quite been matched in my eyes. It really did feel like a relentless onslaught of horror, and it always reminds me of the old Firewarrior tagline: "The next 24 hours will be HELL."

I'm also always astonished by all the contributions that went into it. On a tabletop forum like this where everyone has their own army I imagine there would be enormous temptation for everyone to jump in as a big Shas'O commanding the whole thing, but instead there was a whole range of different characters from all ranks and castes, from lone Shas'la cut off from the main forces and trying to survive the Tzeenchian nightmares to terrified Water Caste officials to the Fio worker that got all the battlesuits up and running.

The only thing stopping it from being perfect was that damned 2-3 hour window when I had to take a break to sleep and the mods hijacked a bunch of mantas from my space fleet. As a right and honourable Battlefleet Gothic admiral I find such actions entirely ungentlemanly. Just isn't the proper sort of thing at all, old sport. Still at least I managed to save the capital ships.

It's also a shame that the spoiler tags don't seem to be working properly on the new forum at the moment. I tend to put a lot of writing on the April Fool's threads in spoiler tags to represent the Tau talking over secure encrypted channels, so that currently leaves a large chink of the stuff I wrote in them unreadable.

On top of all that, the April Fool's threads have also been an excellent crucible and proving ground for various inventions and background elements. The Special Insertion Threat Containment Team commandos had their debut in them, and it was here that I finally cemented a name for my Kor'vattra space fleet.

I've flirted with the insane fever-dream of one day building a gigantic diorama of the fight that took place in the launch bay (which is where my ground forces were) at some point in the distant future, and making it a big community-wide thing where different members could all contribute their own forces where relevant (and any Tzeench creatures they could spare), but that would require multiple manta models, which alone makes it well outside of any realistic price range I may have, as well as several kinds of model that are now out of production. Plus the logistics of getting assembled and painted models from so many different parts of the world undamaged would be a nightmare.

Now to get back to working out who next year's attackers are going to be and planning how to combat them in the new orbital layout (and arguing over whether Genstealer Hybrids count as Gue'la or Y'he for the purposes of the fleet-cadre betting pool)...
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Nov 14 2016 12:00

Shas'o Vior'La wrote:Saving a squad of fire warriors from 3 soul grinders before a unit of XV-88 Broadsides backed me up.

I remember this, I had the unit of 88s! I was the only person who had any 88s, and I remember the railgun nerf had been confirmed so I made a few jabs at the railguns having problems penning the AV13 front of the Grinders.

I had never done any roleplay like that before, and I'm fairly slow at posting (physically I can type quickly, but it was a struggle for me to write and react as quickly as everything was happening), but it was great fun! I had to make up the character on the spot and he ended up becoming the commander for my evolving cadre. Hell, the whole event helped me flesh out the fluff for my cadre because I had been struggling with ideas for a long while.

I'm glad to hear you share the same fondness for Embracing Change that I have myself.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Nov 14 2016 12:08

You know I only just realised this now, but I think the XV88s working together with a Riptide means we basically invented the Firebase Support Cadre... over a year before the Firebase Support Cadre was even a thing. Now that's spooky. :eek:
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Tael
Fio'O

Post#6 » Nov 14 2016 12:21

You saw it first, here on ATT haha.

Was just reading through the Change event. We will sort out the spoiler code, no doubt Pshar Rifles will have a solution for us :)

Return to “General Discussion”