Planetary Onslaught

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
SinisterSamurai
Kor'La

Planetary Onslaught

Post#1 » Nov 22 2016 05:51

So, this has been out for a few days now, and I haven't seen anyone mention it.
It updates several of the campaign-style game rules. I'm not very familiar with all of the old City of Death, Planetstrike, or Cities of Death rules, so I can't comment about how they've changed, but I've got a copy of the book and am willing to answer Qs (within reason with regard to the Forum Rules) if you got them.

Most, if not all, of the fortifications are reprinted here, and though most are Imperial-flavored, every datasheet in the book is available to take in Tau Empire detachments. If you skipped Kauyon in favor of getting only the Tau Codex, you can add all of the Tidewall (which are still Tau exclusive) (and more) datasheets to your collection with this book.

Of note, regarding fortifications, you can buy extra woods or ruins for 20 points. I haven't ever played with fortifications before, but apparently you can also give many buildings a voidshield for 25 points, among other options.

All of the Tidewall parts and networks appear here, including the "exclusive" Tidewall Rampart. The Rampart's datasheet is a much, much easier read than the insert was that was included in the model kit. The set-up of the Rampart has changed, or at least been made much clearer. I more or less consider this errata, but I understand if a mod feels the need to remove this. The new set-up is as follows:
"When setting up a Tidewall Rampart, all of the Shieldlines must be set up in a continuous line, each touching at least one other Shieldline in the network. Each Gunrig must then be set up within 6" of one of the network’s Shieldlines, and each Droneport must be set up within 6" of one of the network’s Gunrigs."

It's a lot cleaner of a set-up, and a little less cheesable (not that the Rampart was being brought out for cheese play very often), but it's funny to note that the Datasheet's image shows an illegal Rampart arrangement.

Dal'yth Shas'len'ra
Shas'Ui

Re: Planetary Onslaught

Post#2 » Nov 23 2016 07:12

I've been thinking about getting Planetary Onslaught. What do you think of the missions? I'm running a campaign right now and I was thinking that they might be good for that.

SinisterSamurai wrote:Of note, regarding fortifications, you can buy extra woods or ruins for 20 points. I haven't ever played with fortifications before, but apparently you can also give many buildings a voidshield for 25 points, among other options.

Does the extra woods or ruins mean that you can add some to the table if you don't think there are enough? Also do they count as a fortification?

Armataan
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Nov 24 2016 06:33

My initial response to my brief glance at the Planetary Onslaught rules was to raise a brow at the Haemotrope reactor.

I -assume- that 'as defined in the rules' means only the 3 precise guns listed in the core book, but if they just mean weapons that are defined as working in the way defined in the rules... (like the plasma syphon), then yeah.... Burning Eye Crisis suits just became a lot more useful for me than they've been since 4th edition. To silly degrees.

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La

Post#4 » Nov 24 2016 11:50

Dal'yth Shas'len'ra wrote:I've been thinking about getting Planetary Onslaught. What do you think of the missions? I'm running a campaign right now and I was thinking that they might be good for that.
The book has 6 planetstrike missions, 6 siege war missions, and 6 Cities of death missions. These allow for asymmetric, narrative-style gameplay, and each game-style has its own little quirks.

Each set of missions also has a campaign table, so if you wanted to play all 6 in a row there are bonuses to take into the next match. And the overall set of missions has some campaign rules for joining all three campaigns together, into a larger 18-mission "Planetary Onslaught" campaign, with a "Supreme Warlord" and some bonuses for winning each sub-campaign that carry into the next sub-campaign. If you enjoyed Kauyon or Mont'ka Echos of War missions, but wanted something a little more generic that could be easily used with other factions, this just might be your cup.

Keep in mind that although the grand campaign has a "victory" table at the end of it, there are no effects for carrying on into another campaign or attacking an extra planet or anything. The planetary onslaught campaign is generic enough to allow for your own open-ended narrative, but it is still very much an on-rails campaign. There are no rules included for building your own, multi-planet campaign, and no GW legal way to splice in normal Eternal War or Maelstrom of War missions, nor is there an inclusion for kill-team missions, Echos of War missions, Air War missions, nor whatever Apocalypse or BFG missions might be called. That said, if you wanted to build your own campaign from scratch, these might be helpful.

SinisterSamurai wrote:Of note, regarding fortifications, you can buy extra woods or ruins for 20 points. I haven't ever played with fortifications before, but apparently you can also give many buildings a voidshield for 25 points, among other options.

Does the extra woods or ruins mean that you can add some to the table if you don't think there are enough? Also do they count as a fortification?[/quote]
The ruins and the Twisted Copse look more or less like they do in the BRB, except that the ruins have a 20 point cost and the Copse is 10 points (and has eliminated toe-in-cover for Vehicles/MCs). at a glance, I don't see anything overriding the initial terrain generation. The Ruins and Trees do seem to count as Fortifications as far as Force Org is concerned. I will look more at this in a few days, but for now I guess the points are just there if you want to buy yourself some extra terrain, or want to say to an opponent, "Hey, for this 1000 point game we are gonna use 100 points of terrain." Battlescape, Moonscape, and Crashed Lander don't appear in the book.

Armataan wrote:My initial response to my brief glance at the Planetary Onslaught rules was to raise a brow at the Haemotrope reactor.

I -assume- that 'as defined in the rules' means only the 3 precise guns listed in the core book, but if they just mean weapons that are defined as working in the way defined in the rules... (like the plasma syphon), then yeah.... Burning Eye Crisis suits just became a lot more useful for me than they've been since 4th edition. To silly degrees.
Haemotrope Reactor is actually not in the book, now that I'm looking closer for it. Plasma Rifles are probably a no-go, as they don't have the Gets Hot rule to begin with, but there's an argument to be made, I suppose.

Return to “General Discussion”