Rules for Grim Skull's CANDIRU Skimmers

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Icknaybob
Shas'Saal

Rules for Grim Skull's CANDIRU Skimmers

Post#1 » Jan 23 2017 03:11

So, my Tau brethern and sistas. I need some help coming up with rules for the Grim Skull/Wargame Exclusives Candiru Skimmers.

Each of the skimmers clearly is identified as being a specific Tau weapon; e.i. Fusion, Missile, Burst Cannon, etc. Due to the size of the weapons on the skimmers, what stats would you give them?

For example...the Candiru Burst Skimmer would "count as" a Jetbike with a Heavy Burst Cannon. If so....how many points would it be worth?

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Rules for Grim Skull's CANDIRU Skimmers

Post#2 » Jan 23 2017 03:47

Well. Right off the bat here's what I'm thinking:

Jetbike Rules

I'm thinking Outflank rules.

Hit and Run

I would not give them skilled rider. Tau don't seem to have any kind of veteran upgrades.

Some kind of 'stabilization' benefit, maybe BS 4 or something snazzy like they can still snap fire even when they jink.That's a huge drone underneath them but I think it'd be more interesting to make it something to do with ballistics than a shield or a cloak.

Multi-tracker?

Fusion variant: Extended barrel (18'')
Missile variant: Twin linked SMS
Plasma variant: ... The thing is so big. Um... Maybe give it some kind of blast?
Burst cannon variant: This looks like the XV-15's so maybe it's the cheapest option but it has a cloak, so +1 to cover saves or something.

I'd also give the 'Ui the option of a homing beacon.

Points? Depends on how crazy you get. Worry about the points after you've settled IMHO.
~Good Hunting

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 23 2017 05:08

Calmsword wrote:Fusion variant: Extended barrel (18'')
Missile variant: Twin linked SMS
Plasma variant: ... The thing is so big. Um... Maybe give it some kind of blast?
Burst cannon variant: This looks like the XV-15's so maybe it's the cheapest option but it has a cloak, so +1 to cover saves or something.

I'd also give the 'Ui the option of a homing beacon.

Points? Depends on how crazy you get. Worry about the points after you've settled IMHO.

I'd agree on those points. Fusion Blaster already have 18" btw so an extended barrel would bring it to the range of a multi melta or similar....however maybe just take a weapon we already have and make it a Fusion Collider. It's nothing else than a Fusion Blaster with a small blast anyway (not the best weapon but eh).

I'd find it weird if Tau Jetbikes had no thrust move in the assault phase like Eldar Jetbikes do since all our other Jetpack stuff can do something like that....but then again I do think that the Eldar Jetbike rules are crazy and should get toned down a lot anyway.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jan 23 2017 06:02

Jetbike (3 models, up to 10). 15 or 16p each

Shas'la: WS2 BS3 S3 T4 W1 I2 A1 Ld7 Sv3+
Shas'ui: WS2 BS3 S3 T4 W1 I2 A2 Ld8 Sv3+

Scout or just Outflank

Base weapon:
Burst Cannon

Upgrades:
Flamer for free
Fusion Blaster for +15p
Plasma Rifle for +15p
Missile Pod for +20p

---

I don't think it should have better weapons than Crisis. Crisis weapons are already quite big and would fit just nicely to a bike. Also, I rather not have too long ranged weapons in spammable bikes because Eldar Jetbikes are severely undercosted with Scatterlasers (hence the bigger cost for missile pods; might as well just remove them).

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Jan 23 2017 06:24

Ugh- it's funny how things get programmed in the brain. Yeah, fusion blaster some kind of multi-melta.

Based on how the missile bike uses it looks more like a SMS in my opinion, it also solves the spammable long range abilities the eldar have.

Whe it comes to the additional move that Eldar have, I really think the XV's have the double jump option to simulate their maneuverability. These bikes look like they go fast.

The question is what role do they fill. Pirhanas are seeker support platforms and recon, Crisis suits are effectively the hunting point of the spear. Where do these heavy bikes factor? I think the answer is in ultra rapid response so figure you gear the rules to that (maybe give them some Dark Eldar rules for flying over enemy units or something).
~Good Hunting

Shas'kamont'yr
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jan 25 2017 06:32

following for ideas =)

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#7 » Jan 29 2017 10:18

If you guys need a unit profile art for a download PDF, hit me up and I'll mock up a sheet for folks to use when the rules are agreed on :)

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jan 30 2017 04:00

Let's get crazy!

Fusion: regular fusion gun, but with alternative firing mode when outside of melta range. S8Ap1, Gets Hot, adds an extra D3 when rolling for Armour Penetration. Both firing modes roll 2D3 on the Vehicle Damage table (same chance of getting 5+, higher chance of getting 3+).

Missiles: 3 volleys of SMS that must be targeted at different units. First choose a main target, then two auxiliary targets that must be within some small distance from the main target. Auxiliary volleys must Snap fire but can still benefit from markerlights.

Plasma: 6" Torrent template.

Burst: 3D3 shots.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jan 30 2017 08:44

Unicornsilovethem wrote:Let's get crazy!

Fusion: regular fusion gun, but with alternative firing mode when outside of melta range. S8Ap1, Gets Hot, adds an extra D3 when rolling for Armour Penetration. Both firing modes roll 2D3 on the Vehicle Damage table (same chance of getting 5+, higher chance of getting 3+).

Missiles: 3 volleys of SMS that must be targeted at different units. First choose a main target, then two auxiliary targets that must be within some small distance from the main target. Auxiliary volleys must Snap fire but can still benefit from markerlights.

Plasma: 6" Torrent template.

Burst: 3D3 shots.

LOL. How much do you plan they should cost even? 3 volleys of SMS is insane and so is a 6" Plasma Torrent on something as mobile and easy to hide as Jetbikes. :eek:

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jan 30 2017 08:57

The Plasma Torrent is basically taken from the Y'vahra, who comes with a 2+/5++ T6W4, fires the damn gun twice, plus another gun and more maneuverability. Those are, what, 230 points or something? A Jetbike at T4W1 and 4++ having the same gun could clock in at maybe 80 points?

Snapshooting SMS at two other units is not that powerful.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jan 30 2017 09:19

I know where it comes from. Also it's no secret that all Riptide versions are kinda undercostet as well. ;)
The Jetbike movement while being able to easily hide behind LOS terrain and the potency and range of a plasma torrent make for a really deadly unit so yeah something like 80-100 points sounds appropriated imo.

I admit I missed the snap shooting thing of the SMS bike though (even if it's not that bad for us as Tau player as it would be for others). :P

Return to “General Discussion”