Paint Schemes

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
tommyboy0329
Shas

Paint Schemes

Post#1 » Jan 30 2017 07:53

Hopefully this is in the right place...

Just finished assembling my Tau Commander in the XV8-02 "Iridium" Armor...waiting on a pair of Hammerhead Smart Missile Systems to arrive in the mail so I can mount them for the Twin Linked look...but I have some questions regarding painting while I wait...

Vior'la basic scheme is white armor with red markings...however how much deviation am I allowed from this? I want to do an Urban themed army, dark, medium and light grays with the red markings...

I have my Commander standing by, 2 Crisis suits waiting to be assembled and 3 Stealth Suits...this is my first time delving into 40k models and I am excited to start, but I don't wanna do something that's going to make my army illegal...

P.S. I am used to large scale models, holy heck these models are tiny! lol, painting is going to be interesting...

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Paint Schemes

Post#2 » Jan 30 2017 09:47

The markings denote the sept. After that the Tau generally have their Armor plates and whatnot match their environment so you can do exactly what you're thinking. :biggrin:
Can't wait to see it. ;)

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Jan 30 2017 09:50

tommyboy0329 wrote:I have my Commander standing by, 2 Crisis suits waiting to be assembled and 3 Stealth Suits...this is my first time delving into 40k models and I am excited to start, but I don't wanna do something that's going to make my army illegal...

Illegal? What fo you thinks is going to happen if your army is painted 'wrong' at a tournament? They'll confiscate your army or that somebody might execute an exterminatus order on your army? :-?

Okay here's the simplest rule for your army: Paint it anyway you like!

Its not like Tau armies have livery colors like the Space Marine chapters: Blood Angels are red, Black Templars are white and black, Imperial Fists are bright yellow. Granted many Black Library authors are not up on our lore, and so have pushed the idea that there are some kind of 'livery' colors.

And the Farsight shows the Enclaves color as being red, but even here you don't have to paint them that color. If you can get your hands on the first three Tau codices you can see a wide variety of colors and camouflage patterns. Sadly do to IP constraints we can't post all that old GW material on the forum. :::(

Better yet just search the hobby logs and posts of photos of members of armies. And you'll get all the inspiration you'll ever want.

Hope you find inspiration here on the A.T.T. forum. :)

Then TauMan waits to see you come up with.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Macknight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jan 31 2017 02:23

I think the OP wants to paint his army in a way that fits the existing fluff. As the OP guessed and others have said, as long as the sept colors fits the fluff, the armor and any camo can be anyway you like.

I do suggest some form of sorting though, for example: I did my stealth capable units a darker tone than the rest of the army, and my farsight forces dark grey and dark red.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16485
For the greater good!

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jan 31 2017 04:35

If your planning on playing in tournaments the ITC (which organizes the majority in NA) uses a three color minimum paint scheme and the primer (spray paint) doesn't count. So no chaos black and only two painted colours.

If your not playing tournaments then you can paint them however you want.

If you want to make a more authentic to the lore Tau paint scheme then follow some tips in here. One colour is the "sept" colour that denotes ranks and where they come from. After this Tau usually paint their armour based on the area they intend to fight in. There are also parade colours of each planet as well if you want something more bright and shiny.

The Tau codex has little tips for painting lore friendly Tau armies and helped with learn the markings better.

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Mar 11 2017 11:18

Did a theme with a similar plan in mind as well. viewtopic.php?f=46&t=25347

As everyone mentioned, paint it however you want! The universe is your oyster. :)

Return to “General Discussion”