(Opinion) The Stormsurge Mini

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Elphiel
Shas'La

Re: (Opinion) The Stormsurge Mini

Post#11 » Feb 22 2017 10:34

Panzer wrote:
Unicornsilovethem wrote:All community efforts of giving arms just make it look worse.

Wat....you must be a pretty unique creature. :D

I agree too. The no arms look creates that mechwarrior style i always have in mind with tau battlesuits. But i think its a bit like, what kind of mech you want. Gundam vs. mechwarrior ;)

For example, why put the missile pods on arms as hand replacement? Whats the benefit? You cant use the arms to pick up stuff and you could aim all missiles the same way without them. Also the missiles are guided anyways.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#12 » Feb 22 2017 01:18

Elphiel wrote:
Panzer wrote:
Unicornsilovethem wrote:All community efforts of giving arms just make it look worse.

Wat....you must be a pretty unique creature. :D

I agree too. The no arms look creates that mechwarrior style i always have in mind with tau battlesuits. But i think its a bit like, what kind of mech you want. Gundam vs. mechwarrior ;)

For example, why put the missile pods on arms as hand replacement? Whats the benefit? You cant use the arms to pick up stuff and you could aim all missiles the same way without them. Also the missiles are guided anyways.

If we start arguing like that....why go the mech route in the first place? Hover tanks and flyer are much more practical. :P
It's about aesthetics. Humanoid mechs without arms just look weird. Walker like AM Sentinals and Skitarii chicken walker are different enough to the usual humanoid concept to work but the Storm Surge isn't. ;)

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#13 » Feb 22 2017 01:54

The "no-arm" feature make it a very original mini. That we all agree.
Strange IMHO, but some could see it nice.
The complete front torso is also a design fail, with more round shapes than every Tau battlesuit (design-wise it is closer to vehicles shapes). It may look fine on its own, but not in the overall designs. As Ironsky said, this style of open cockpit and shapes would have been OK on a vehicle (artillery, a Tau-version of a Basilisk for example). His pic shows the potential.

Elphiel wrote:For example, why put the missile pods on arms as hand replacement? Whats the benefit? You cant use the arms to pick up stuff and you could aim all missiles the same way without them. Also the missiles are guided anyways.
Some ideas about adding missiles as hands, Broadside-style instead of pinning them on each side of the torso:
  • You can discard the empty launcher, lower the arm to the ground and engage a new full lancher without the need of a crane/drone.
  • You avoid more smoke of launched missiles to go all around the torso or in the cockpit
  • You have a better melee weapon
  • You have style and can laugh at Imperium chickens
  • You can make gesture at the enemy
:D

The most important is:
We have a model that give many of us ideas to edit, modify, change, ... all the thing that made the "hobby" (before it was only "collecting Citadel miniatures").
So it a good thing after all, to be remembered that Citadel minis are not sacred relics to only pose and paint differently but models that can be cut, sawed, mixed, tweaked, ...

PS:
My personal idea of the origin of the "no-arms" stormsurge: GW wanted to troll an old meme :crafty:

Return to “General Discussion”