(Opinion) The Stormsurge Mini

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Grogalmighty
Shas'Saal

(Opinion) The Stormsurge Mini

Post#1 » Feb 19 2017 12:25

Ok. I have looked at the Stormsurge and this is purely a critique of the mini itself. Yes I know it's a sci fantasy setting where *BAD WORD DELETED!* makes sense because reasons but I need to get this off my chest.

I do not know why the Stormsurge exists, or at least, exists in this form.

I love battlesuits (I have an army entirely built around them and I have every suit save the stormsurge from the XV15 to the KV138) and I just cannot push myself to like this thing.

On a purely surface level it looks like a tower of pure dakka. Missiles on top of missiles with even more missiles and then huge tau damned gun. It's like a super broadside in the classic sense and I dig it. Then I looked closer.

An open pilot seat? Really??? This suddenly feels like the tau have no regard for their battlesuit pilots and is a perfect place to throw a grenade into. There is NO REASON AT ALL why this thing has an open canopy. Talk about a terrible design feature that should have been an option, not a standard.

The thing is absurdly top heavy and it's legs just look stupid. The big beefy thighs and tiny little ankles...the "cowboy" spurs look...just as dumb. The stabilizing wedges should be attached to the back and go down at an angle (anyone with a basic idea of physics should know this) and it would look WAY cooler.

To be honest, this unit should have been a tank on the superheavy scale akin to the Baneblade. It would have made more sense and look far less silly.

Aj'T'au
Shas'Saal

Re: (Opinion) The Stormsurge Mini

Post#2 » Feb 19 2017 01:27

Many of us here agree with you on the design flaws of the Stormsurge and some have even made 3d models to correct the issues, such as adding a closed canopy and arms. While that is still just a bandage for a poor design in the first place. :fear:

If you are interested where those 3d models are I can find the link and post it here. I bought a set of the arms, and they are awesome. :D

Elphiel
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Feb 19 2017 03:07

Yep i also have to agree. Closed my Stormsourges cockpit to. To add some other big design flaws that not just the stormsourge but also the riptide and some other "new" battlesuits lack:

1. The feet. This design flaw is so big that even in the world of plastic miniatures where there is no real weight, the ankles break way to often. Also why are they standing only on their front toes. With a complete lack any kind of back toe or heel i always thought they look like little ballet dancers constantly struggle with balance.

2. The faceshield. The Stormsourge, the riptide, the new broadside and also lots of the new crisis have this high extra collar shield in front of their top head. But isn't that completely blocking their line of sight in front of them if they just want to look a bit down. Its already hard enough to look down a bit with a chest thats several meters in front of their heads but this extra shield is making it impossible.

3. The stock pose of the stromsourge and others. Its looks like these robots are always sitting somwhere behind a tree dropping a litte pile of sh*t. Luckily we can customise this if we want to. But many players that are not so much in the modelling just glue that piece together as its written in the instructions. And thats exactly how it looks and most game tables. We have lots of Zoidbergs running around the 40k Battlefield.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Feb 19 2017 03:08

The basis model is fugly, I agree. However I've seen some conversions that really made me want to buy one (I'm still resisting!!).

Like this one for example

Turning it into a giant Broadside by making the gun handheld, closing the cockput and repositioning the secondary weapons and the head makes it already so infinitiley much cooler...because let's be fair the Storm Surge is the big brother of a Broadside as the Riptide is the big brother of the Crisis and the Ghostkeel of the Stealth Suit. ;)

I saw a similar but even better conversion but I can't really find it anymore unfortunately since it was in a facebook group and it's pretty much impossible to find something after months again. :D

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Feb 19 2017 03:43

Grogalmighty wrote:...To be honest, this unit should have been a tank on the superheavy scale akin to the Baneblade. It would have made more sense and look far less silly.

Couldn't agree more! link I concede that the open top is still slightly ridiculous on a tank, but I thought it looked cool. Can't stomach it on a battle suit though.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#6 » Feb 20 2017 06:18

The opinion you shared were a first-hour one for many Tau players (and more).

Missiles are not that silly: they don't need much energy so it allow the big gun to be fired at will with a (relatively) small powerplant. So you have a reliable secondary weapon array.

Battlesuit ankles and feet stability is poor, but Tau have antigrav technology, so the battlesuit torso are probably grav-suspended (see kung-fu movies stunts for the ease of movement it can allow, even for battlesuit that stride).

GW's Tau design is now more Battlesuit oriented after being much more about mobile brigades (few Battlesuit elites covering vehicle mounted infantry squads with tank support).
The Riptide "giant" battlesuit case was very discussed at the time it appeared (didn't recall the thread here). Then Stormsurge and Taun'ar make that move sillier (but other are fine with). I remember the first time I read in IA3 1st ed that a revered Warhound titan was brought down by a makeshift sniperplane rigged from a bomber and the biggest gun Tau can brought on battelfield. Neat, smart, efficient, what is all Tau were. Now we have been contaminated by Imperium hubris for big legged chickens with oversized guns.
Let's hope Forgeworld will brought much more love in vehicles (after all, we have a moving fortification, so let's hope mobile brigade)

(Shameless plug following Aj'Tau post ...) I bought one Stormsurge myself only to create arms and cockpit cover, inspired by LimpWeanie work here on ATT.

R.D.
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Feb 21 2017 07:11

I more or less agree. So that's why I built mine as a big siege tank-like mobile firebase grav-platform, here's a pic. :) Thoughts?

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Feb 22 2017 07:09

While the Stormsurge has several problems by our understanding of physics, and the entire warmachine can be disabled by a single anti-person grenade thrown into the open cockpit, and I wish GW would stop going the route of ever-growing robots (why don't we have a heavy tank!?), I have to say that the look of the model has really grown on me. As long as you pose it in a way that doesn't make it look like it's trying to poop, I think it looks really badass. All community efforts of giving arms just make it look worse.

I don't think the visibility from the main head is a valid point. The thing is loaded with optic sensors, and it even has a secondary head just to be able to look right while the main gun is down.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Feb 22 2017 07:31

Unicornsilovethem wrote:All community efforts of giving arms just make it look worse.

Wat....you must be a pretty unique creature. :D

Meyen
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Feb 22 2017 07:33

I bought the cover because the open cockpit made no sense. Other than that I have little problem with the models' look. It's like a Tau Metal Gear Rex. So long as the guns blow the enemies of the Greater Good across the battlefield then that's all that matters.
Obviously others have higher asthetic standards which is o.k. and they have made some really ingenious efforts to fix it.
Bottom line, if there are niggles the community have found ways to try and fix. Ultimately if you don't like the model and can't see a fix, then don't get it.

Elphiel
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Feb 22 2017 10:34

Panzer wrote:
Unicornsilovethem wrote:All community efforts of giving arms just make it look worse.

I agree too. The no arms look creates that mechwarrior style i always have in mind with tau battlesuits. But i think its a bit like, what kind of mech you want. Gundam vs. mechwarrior ;)

For example, why put the missile pods on arms as hand replacement? Whats the benefit? You cant use the arms to pick up stuff and you could aim all missiles the same way without them. Also the missiles are guided anyways.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Feb 22 2017 01:18

Elphiel wrote:
Panzer wrote:

I agree too. The no arms look creates that mechwarrior style i always have in mind with tau battlesuits. But i think its a bit like, what kind of mech you want. Gundam vs. mechwarrior ;)

For example, why put the missile pods on arms as hand replacement? Whats the benefit? You cant use the arms to pick up stuff and you could aim all missiles the same way without them. Also the missiles are guided anyways.

If we start arguing like that....why go the mech route in the first place? Hover tanks and flyer are much more practical. :P
It's about aesthetics. Humanoid mechs without arms just look weird. Walker like AM Sentinals and Skitarii chicken walker are different enough to the usual humanoid concept to work but the Storm Surge isn't. ;)

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#13 » Feb 22 2017 01:54

The "no-arm" feature make it a very original mini. That we all agree.
Strange IMHO, but some could see it nice.
The complete front torso is also a design fail, with more round shapes than every Tau battlesuit (design-wise it is closer to vehicles shapes). It may look fine on its own, but not in the overall designs. As Ironsky said, this style of open cockpit and shapes would have been OK on a vehicle (artillery, a Tau-version of a Basilisk for example). His pic shows the potential.

Elphiel wrote:For example, why put the missile pods on arms as hand replacement? Whats the benefit? You cant use the arms to pick up stuff and you could aim all missiles the same way without them. Also the missiles are guided anyways.
Some ideas about adding missiles as hands, Broadside-style instead of pinning them on each side of the torso:
  • You can discard the empty launcher, lower the arm to the ground and engage a new full lancher without the need of a crane/drone.
  • You avoid more smoke of launched missiles to go all around the torso or in the cockpit
  • You have a better melee weapon
  • You have style and can laugh at Imperium chickens
  • You can make gesture at the enemy
:D

The most important is:
We have a model that give many of us ideas to edit, modify, change, ... all the thing that made the "hobby" (before it was only "collecting Citadel miniatures").
So it a good thing after all, to be remembered that Citadel minis are not sacred relics to only pose and paint differently but models that can be cut, sawed, mixed, tweaked, ...

PS:
My personal idea of the origin of the "no-arms" stormsurge: GW wanted to troll an old meme :crafty:

Return to “General Discussion”