8th edition

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Calmsword
Shas'Ui

8th edition

Post#1 » Mar 22 2017 09:39

Hey everyone,

Been a busy night but I've got a heads up on the next edition. There have been rulebooks circulating for a few weeks now and while it's been tempting to say something it would have probably have been rendered speculatory, but; this evening at Adepticon GW is making official announcements:

(Deathguard are next and look sick... pun intended)

8th: the biggest change is probably the three different rule systems which incorporate tourney/matched play, open play and narrative play. There are benefits to 'themes' which translate into army bonuses (feels like the end of the more rigid codex system)

Movement values back

Morale from AoS is being ported

Every model has 'bespoke' rules- you only need to learn your models rules

Shooting and armor modifiers coming back(!!!)

Charging units will strike first.

More later.
~Good Hunting

Panzer
Shas'La

Re: 8th edition

Post#2 » Mar 23 2017 01:27

Calmsword wrote:(Deathguard are next and look sick... pun intended)

OMG yes!

Calmsword wrote:Movement values back

Yes!

Calmsword wrote:Shooting and armor modifiers coming back(!!!)

Even more Yes!

Calmsword wrote:Charging units will strike first.

All the Yes!

Calmsword wrote:More later.

Please!

As someone who really enjoyed WHFB 7e and started with 40k only recently I'm really hyped about getting some of the WHFB 7e mechanics back....and as I've heard lately those used to be in 40k during 2e as well. :D

Ohando
Shas'La

Post#3 » Mar 23 2017 11:23

Is anyone willing to explain what the old rules that are "coming back" means? I only played in the 7 edition and i feel i don't appreciate these leaks enough :?

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#4 » Mar 23 2017 11:32

Ohando wrote:Is anyone willing to explain what the old rules that are "coming back" means? I only played in the 7 edition and i feel i don't appreciate these leaks enough :?

Well right now we have a binary system of "you get an armor save roll or you don't" due how AP works.
In fantasy it worked differently (and apparently in 40k 2e as well). There the armor save of the target got modified by the strength of the weapon/wielder. S4 = -1, S5 = -2 etc.
Now I doubt they'll do it the exact same way for 40k but they can easily do it via the AP value if they just mirror it (2 becoming 4 or 5 and so on).
Also in fantasy you used to be able to take your invul roll on top of the armor roll (no rumours about that for 40k 8e yet).
Also also cover wasn't a save but it modified your to-hit roll (also no rumour about that for 40k yet).

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Mar 23 2017 11:55

I hope we don't get the direct Str modifier to armor saves. I like that we can have relatively weak guns that penetrate armor and strong guns that don't. But the current AP system is way too all-or-nothing and the difference between AP2 and AP3 is immense. My pet band-aid that I've been meaning to try out is really simple, where if your AP is 1 too high it gives a -1 modifier. So AP3 still completely penetrates 3+ armor, and turns 2+ armor into 3+.

Ohando
Shas'La

Post#6 » Mar 23 2017 01:36

Panzer wrote:
Ohando wrote:Is anyone willing to explain what the old rules that are "coming back" means? I only played in the 7 edition and i feel i don't appreciate these leaks enough :?

Well right now we have a binary system of "you get an armor save roll or you don't" due how AP works.
In fantasy it worked differently (and apparently in 40k 2e as well). There the armor save of the target got modified by the strength of the weapon/wielder. S4 = -1, S5 = -2 etc.
Now I doubt they'll do it the exact same way for 40k but they can easily do it via the AP value if they just mirror it (2 becoming 4 or 5 and so on).
Also in fantasy you used to be able to take your invul roll on top of the armor roll (no rumours about that for 40k 8e yet).
Also also cover wasn't a save but it modified your to-hit roll (also no rumour about that for 40k yet).

Ah, thanks Panzer. It would be coherant with their plans of "streamlining" the rules a bit, ap and str of a weapon rolled into one stat. And by "movement value back" the op means that infantry will no longer move 6 inches no matter what the unit, but more "agile" units will move faster (eldar infantry for example)?

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#7 » Mar 23 2017 02:06

Well movementstat means just that. Getting a stat for movement back as there once was. Bikes for example would get a 12 and infantry a 6 with slow guys a 4 and so on. All representing inches of cores.

Also while doing the armor modifier together with the strength value would streamline things I really hope they don't do that.
Having an AP value for that opens so many more possibilities of diverse weaponry. There are things that shouldn't get streamlined. I also hope we will never ever adapt the AoS thing of having a fix to-hit and to-wound roll. The tables really aren't that hard to memorize once you understood the logic behind it.

nic
Kroot'La

Post#8 » Mar 23 2017 03:16

The way they word that change around movement stats - units having cool bespoke rules and you only need to learn the rules for your models - strongly points towards having full datasheets for each unit in the style of AoS.

Having spent some time with the different publishing method of AoS rules I think that is a good thing, although I do wonder how they will manage all the weapon/upgrade options for some units which could run on a bit (the sheet for the Crisis team could be more than a little lengthy).

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#9 » Mar 23 2017 03:21

nic wrote:The way they word that change around movement stats - units having cool bespoke rules and you only need to learn the rules for your models - strongly points towards having full datasheets for each unit in the style of AoS.

Having spent some time with the different publishing method of AoS rules I think that is a good thing, although I do wonder how they will manage all the weapon/upgrade options for some units which could run on a bit (the sheet for the Crisis team could be more than a little lengthy).

Imo that's a ridiculous utopic statement made by GW.
You will never be able to play the game properly by just knowing your unit and no other units rules. That'd be like playing blind. ^^

But I think I know what they actually mean with that. No rules for a whole kind of unit type/group/whatever but specific rules for each unit seperately listed on their datasheet so you don't have to look elsewhere for that unit rules.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Mar 23 2017 11:14

Yes that's what that means.

I asked more about this mechanic and it basically means you'll have more of a card or page for each unit that you have which will have all of it's rules (and what those rules mean/do/behave) in a single place.

More conversations indicate that there is going to be updates to codexes but rewrites will be on the way with a big push for the xenos factions after chaos is done (imperials have a few more as well) but that campaign books (which have been massively successful) will be the source of multiple updates for factions more often.

Finally- every single gun/type will have its own armor modifier. The example was boltgun: -1 armor save while a pulse weapon has none.
~Good Hunting

Return to “General Discussion”