[April, 2017 - MAIN THREAD] The Holographic Principle

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Kakapo42
Shas'Vre

Re: [April, 2017 - MAIN THREAD] The Holographic Principle

Post#61 » Apr 02 2017 05:51

The screams of the dying Ulthwe guardians stung in Faoldir's heart like the biting pain of murehk, and his fierce soul roared out for justice. The newcommers were as a surprise to the Eldar as they were for the Tau they had saved, smashing into the Ulthwe strike force with all the ferocious strength of the blizzards in their wintry home. Mon-keigh barbarians! Surely the Tau would not stoop so low as to employ such feral beasts to do their fighting for them. Faoldir knew from the previous day's fighting that these Tau were a timid lot, but he knew never to underestimate an adversary, and he still clung to the hope that they might be made of somewhat sterner stuff. Truly their cowardice knew no limits!

Faoldir bellowed a rage-filled curse to the heavens as he commanded his wild riders to change heading. They would make these lost wolves pay dearly for their interference. Enemies on primitive jump-packs rushed to meet them at the head of a wave of rockets and gunfire, but Faoldir was a master of the feint and the doubble-bluff - for was he not Faoldir, scion of Faolchu? - and he led his wild riders to disperse like mist, leaving it to strike nothing and the skyclaws stranded to watch their bretheren be slaughered. The Fire Prism and Vypers struck out at the bikers with their heavy weapons, blasting them apart with krak missile, spearing them with bright lance beam and vaporising them with the mighty blasts of the prism cannon. Now the wild riders fell upon the bulk of the pack. Dozens were felled in the bladestorm of shuriken fire, the monomolecular discs slicing neatly through the joints in their power armour to cut and dismember the warriors inside, and then the counter-charge hit home.

Sword against sword! Chainblade against chainblade! The melee was brief but intensely bloody as the wild riders struck down from their soaring mounts. Though they were but lackeys, they fought proudly and honourably until their deaths, and Faoldir lamented that it was not them that had formed the bulk of the foe - would that the Tau learn from their example! Alas the lightning-quick warriors struck and faded, but these adversaries hit well, and a dozen-score wild riders were lost as they fell from their roaring jetbikes. Enraged at the loss of his noble warriors, Faoldir commanded his kinsmen to follow him to the head of the Mon-keigh. Shuriken fire thinned the ranks of the commander's guards, and the kinsmen laid about the rest in whirlwind of death, snatching off heads and loping off arms with their sweeping blows. Faoldir himself claimed the prize as his Vyper steed swooped down and he lowered his power spear, and with one mighty strike cleaved the head of the Mon-keigh captain clean in twain, sizzling blood bursting from the blow like wave-foam upon the coast.

The skycalws rushed to their aid, but were too late, and were rode down by the wild riders in their second pass. But alas it was for naught, as when they were finished the Tau had gone, escaping as their own minions were butchered. The hunt would not be over so easily, it would seem...
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

CmdrCASh
Shas'Ui

Post#62 » Apr 02 2017 07:05

In the Devilfish now speeding northwards, Tash’shi took in his first view of the impending battleground. Almost immediately after the breakthrough at the starport, the cadres had decided on a three pronged counter-attack on the alien structures on the planet known as the Three Pillars. The sensors on the orbital had picked up strange energy signatures coming from them, and had surmised that the Ar’cea were charging them up for some nefarious purpose.

“Sir, why don’t we just blow up the pillar from afar?” was the first question he had for his Shas’vre. “We have long range AND orbital artillery.”

“Because the pillars are shrouded from our targeting systems. Firstly there are the holograms and other stealth wizardry that we need to get our drone-net close enough in one piece to unravel. Secondly, the Fio claim that there’s a non-technological component of the shrouding that the Ar’cea are putting up.”

Tash’shi verified that with a glance on his HUD. High quality recon drone imagery coupled with the data collection passes from Kor aerial assets had been pieced together by the Fio systems into a three-dimensional holomap which was now being projected directly into his eyes via the standard trooper helmet. Yet there was an opaque bubble covering at least sixteen Tor’kan around the known location of the Northern pillar.

“What about direct kinetic strikes? We have the coordinates from the Fio surveys years back. Shouldn’t be a problem to link that up with our weapons targeting arrays.”

“Tried that. It’s not working. In the midst of that shrouding has to be some kind of shielding that’s shrugging off direct attacks. Not sure how they can come up with so much juice to shield their installations, but we figure it should be vulnerable from the ground.”

“And that’s why we’re here,”

“Correct. Take out whatever is shielding that pillar so that our heavy weapons can do their part.”
Ka'ash Sept

Mon'von
Shas'La

Post#63 » Apr 02 2017 07:51

The initial strike had been defeated but they had done their job, holding the Eldar in place for maximum effect. The drop pods struck down amidst the forces of Ulthwe, scattering Eldar bodies everywhere and from the smoke and dust emerged the hulking forms of the Terminators unleashing the full fury of Fenris upon the hapless Eldar around them.

From the darkness the war cry of Valhalla surrounded the Eldar as the full force and vengeance of an entire company was brought down upon the frail forms in the night. 3 more drop pods smashed down into the centre of the enemy formation, emerging from the dust the 3 ancient Dreadnoughts began to clear the area with fire and plasma, incinerating any foes that were within range.

All around him the Eldar commander watched as his wild riders dropped like flies to the Tau rail rifles and marine scout snipers. The wolves of Fenris tore into the ranks of the Eldar warriors, ripping them limb from limb with their razor sharp fangs.

In swathes they feel to bolter, fire, plasma and blade the warriors of Valhalla were here and they are thirsty for the blood of Eldar.
"Wyrd bið ful aræd" Fate remains inexorable

SniperTau
Shas'La

Post#64 » Apr 02 2017 08:15

The chainblade roared as it chewed the air, slicing down as I ducked and dived, blocking and stabbing with my Lance. I was tiring, though, and the Autarch was gaining the upper hand.I just need to...The chainblade cut into my arm, slicing a shallow cut as I pulled back.

I winced, fresh red blood flowing from the wound. I need to get past him. but how?
I reactivated my stealth field, but the blood kept flowing, revealing my position. The autarch chopped downwards, and with a shower of sparks severed the lance from it's mounting. There goes my weapon.
I deactivated my stealth field, sinking to my knees as though greivously wounded.
The Transdimentional Vortex. This will require perfect timing.
I dared not think what would happen if I failed.
The autarch raised the chainblade for a final, finishing strike.
It roared downwards, and time again seemed to slow. The blade descended towards his helmet, and Drake waited till the last possible second. POP.
'Snipers, ready, ready.....'

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre

Post#65 » Apr 02 2017 08:18

More hideous mishshapen Mon-keigh! Still they came on, raining from the sky in their metal drop-pods. Others still materialised from teleport beams. Faoldir could hardly believe the depravity and spinlessness of these Tau, for just when he thought he had seen the floor of their dishonour and cowardice, they sank even further. Was there not a soul among them brave enough to face the wild riders, the children of Kurnous, on their own? Did any of them have the mettle to stand out from behind their henchmen? Was there any shred of honour to be found amongst these beastly savages?

Time was fading now. Faoldir sorely wished to break off and continue his pursuit of the Tau, but duty commanded that he stay and fight. Unlike these Tau cowards, his warrior's honour was impeccable - in over five thousand years of stewardship over his clan not one black mark had stained the nobility of himself or his kin. At least the Mon-Keigh made good sport as they fought with the ferocity of true warriors. Indeed, more of Faoldir's wild riders were falling, their skimming steeds dashed to flames and splinters. Faoldir and his kinsmen fought with the fury of the tempest and the wrath of Khaine, slaying any of the clumsy brutes they came near. Grey armoured body after grey armoured body fell to their blades and whizzing shurikens. Directing his vyper steed, Faoldir swooped over the ungainly walkers in the host's midst, striking down at their thin rear armour with his power spear as a lance. The momentum hewed it through the crude iron and ceramite, slicing down the festering remains within, and Faoldir claimed one before the fight was through. But onwards they came, pressing down with sheer numbers.

Yet as all seemed lost he heard salvation screaming in the wind. At first he feared it was a Banshee call, here to ferry him away from the mortal plane, but his heart soared and danced in joy as he heard the familiar voice of his beloved Frayja, leading her host in howling warcry! Once more the wild riders crashed into the fray, and Frayja led the slaughter with her own kinsmen. Vypers struck the remaining Mon-keigh walkers with the glittering fangs of bright lance fire, while the clans' two Fire Prisms lent their irridescent fury in tandem. Against the fury of the storm Faoldir and his kin were delivered.

"Goddess!" He cried to his wife, "Never did I think I would be so joyous to see your beauty again! Though I fear now we have claimed more Mon-keigh than your own."

"Fie on you husband!" Frayja jeered in return, "The tally means little if you do not live to boast of it! We have come to your rescue, which more than evens the score I should think!"

"Indeed I should be glad," Faoldir conceeded, "Though I know not what to make of being rescued like a damsel."

"Fear not my Faoldir," Frayja replied, "For you and your clan have fought well and did not surrender. I think your honour should remain intact. Now come, let us away on our true quarry!"

"Aye my sun!" said Faoldir, "For it serves no good purpose to stay here when the true foe flees and hides."

And so they departed, united in love and battle alike. The Mon-Keigh regrouped, but as they made ready for more bloodshed the wild riders were gone, racing away across the wilderness and leaving their slow flat-footed adversaries to count their many-score dead and chase dust-devils on foot.
Naked Metal

SniperTau
Shas'La

Post#66 » Apr 02 2017 08:28

The autarch pulled his chainblade out of the stone beneath me. I reappeared, and brung my fist round to knock the blade out of his hand. Tt pulled back with a short gasp and retreated. "What tau are you?" gasped the autarch, and I realised with a start it was female. I pulled of my helmet. My rail-rifle would not respond to the activation button. "What are you!?" the autarch screamed. I stayed silent, bringing my hand round towards the experimental pistol tucked into my belt. still, despite my movements, she stayed where she was. I whipped out my pistol, spraying the autarch with shots. A shield appeared around her, but one got through, taking her in the shoulder. I roared my victory to the sky. Wait. I have a task to complete. I took out the special Squat grenades. One by one, I pulled the pins, and threw them into the webway. Once I had finishd, I took out the fusion charges and attached the to the frame of the device. I picked up my lance, which was nonfunctioning. I put my helmet back on, opened a channel to shas'vior'los'ar'tol.

"Drake of Covert Ops team 24-c here, south-western wraithgate down. There are several enemy units near my position, but the wraithgate is down. I will move to settlement four and await further instructions."
I set off onto the plains, running at a full sprint. That was a start. I will kill all of them for what they did.
'Snipers, ready, ready.....'

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre

Post#67 » Apr 02 2017 08:51

Tyrioq looked in horror as his second sight surveyed the damage. Two wraithgates had now fallen, both in the west, but at one of them the Tau had dared to meddle in powers far above their ability to ever truly understand. To open an immaterial rift within a webgate? It seemed the Tau knew no bounds in their creativity for heinous atrocities. At once webway portal after webway portal flared with a blood red glow and sealed shut forever, emergency containment protocols closing off the contaminated webway sections like a gangrenous limb. The damage was contained, and there was no longer any danger of the Great Enemy's minions entering the webway, but it came at a heavy price - over half of the webway network on the world's surface no longer functioned.

The Tau were also closing on the north pillar. There was little that could be done about it now, for though Faoldir and Frayja had decimated the Tau landing parties in the north, they had long since repositoned and he no longer had any meaningful force nearby, his warriors converging in the south in anticipation of a Tau attack there. Still, one pillar could be sacrificed if needbe, and they were almost ready - nine tenths of their optimal energy charge had been obtained, and they now crackled with power and warding shields. Soon it would be too late for the Tau to stop them.

Just as he had foreseen. Just as Fate had commanded.

The Mon-Keigh interlopers were more than expected, though the losses they inflicted were not. In their haste to spill blood however, their choice of deployment left them without transports on the ground, and the wild riders had destroyed their faster elements. They would be in little position to contribute further, forced to slowly move across the wide open wilderness on foot.

Still, it was best not to take such chances with them, and so the Farseer called his council once more to him. Once again Tyrioq felt the surge of tremendous warmth and excitement as psychic energy flowed through him from them.

"Augment."

Then Tyrioq cast this energy once more over the tussock-strewn wilderness, his wrath falling upon the Mon-Keigh from afar. The air shimmered and darkened and the ground almost seem to sink downwards and tremble at what was to come. The skies were rent apart as the immense psychic might was unleashed, and a second Eldritch tempest of unimaginable power engulfed the Mon-Keigh's location.
Naked Metal

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#68 » Apr 02 2017 09:10

Night of the Second Rotaa, 0011:04:56 Dec, West of Settlement 4, 104th Vi’myrii Mechanized Cadre

Shas’la Sac'ea Fo'en entered the Enclave HQ TV-7 through the open rear hatch, and passed quickly through the black curtain to where Shas'Nel Kike'xītomata – Green Sabre Tiger, was monitoring the communications from the cadre command and other units. A few other shas’la were there eating or sleeping, while another cadre NCO conversed with the Shas’nel.

In the infrared light blackout light, the skin of the Tau present turned a pale grey, and they all wore deep shadows over their faces. The Shas’nel studied the face of the younger firewarrior and asked, ‘What are you doing up Shas’la Fo’en, your watch is not for another dec?”

‘Can’t sleep, but I wanted…I wanted to find somewhere safe?’ he replied removing his helmet, and storing his pulse rife.

‘Xhmm, then get something to eat and drink,’ said the old Fireblade. He watched the younger Tau tear into a meal-ready-eat, and then reluctantly start eating. Kike'xītomata looked at his Terigun, or First Sergeant, Shas'Nvre Kireit'shi, and then asked, ‘Why are really here Shas’la?’

The Sac’en firewarrior was one of many stragglers picked up the cadre, most were separated from their units, or were the only ones left from their squads. Shas’la Fo’en, was one such “lost firewarrior”.

‘I suffer these terrible pangs of guilt, like…like somehow my cadre being destroyed was all my fault. That doesn’t make sense; but there it is. And I can’t shake these images in my head of…of my dead ta’lissera brothers…and sisters…laying there mutilated, and bloody. I know the images aren’t real, and I know I’m not responsible; but the terror…and the guilt are still there. Ge’tos and Li’tei both suffer the same aliment…but your firewarriors don’t. Why shas'nel?’

‘So, that’s it then? And I thought he wanted to know why all our firewarriors are so much taller?’ said the Shas'Nvre Kireit'shi – Light of Absolute Victory.

‘That’s what I thought too Li’sun,’ said the Shas’nel, but then taking the Sac’ean firewarrior by the shoulder added, ‘Let’s you and I go outside and let the Shas’nvre here get some sleep. Besides, I want to smoke my pipe.’

And with that, the Shas’nel tossed the firewarrior his pulse rifle and helmet, and ushered him outside. In the inky blackness, both firewarrior could just enough to know where they were, but not much more. The sky was cloudless, moonless, but filled with a quadrillion stars. Each an intense point of silver white light. The old shas’nel used an electric lighter to light his pipe, and then closed its field cover; which let in air, but released no light.

‘It would a twelve evenings like this to tell you the full story of why we’re not affected like you and your brethren. But let me just say that the firecaste of Vior’los, rediscovered an ancient technique from our tribal past. We, in essence, go into a deep trance before battle. It keeps out distractions, and heightens all the senses; for instance even though I can’t see your hands, I know the last finger of your left hand is twitching. Am I right?’

‘T’ah…yes how did you know that?’

‘I can hear it move, just like I can hear your breathing. Just like I can hear our silent firewarriors on the line, shift there weight to keep their legs from falling asleep…They’re giving away there position just as much as if they were yelling and screaming.’

‘Shas’nel, towards the south-west what are those lines of bright light?’

‘Xhmm?…’

There was a tremendous flash in the south-west quadrant. A fireball of immense was seen by the whole cadre; and approximately thirty-five raik'ans later the blast wave hit.

8th Edition is here: Keep Calm and Carry On!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#69 » Apr 02 2017 09:26

+++ Assigned A.T.T. Channel +++
--- TO: All Vior’los Ground, Air and Naval Forces ---
--- CODE: 025-345-289-777-400 ---

--- MESSAGE ---

ATTENTION:

AS OF 0011:16:23 DEC A LARGE DETONATION OCCURRED IN THE SOUTH-WEST DISTRICT OF THE YK-7 COLONY. THE BLAST WAS APPROXIMATELY 56 MEGATONS. REPEAT THE BLAST WAS APPROXIMATELY 56 MEGATONS.

THE EPICENTRE OF THE BLAST WAS IN THE VICINITY OF THE AR'CEAN SOUTHERN PILLAR.

PLEASE REPORT ANY CASUALTIES, VEHICLES LOST OR DAMAGED, AND PRESENT STATUS OF YOUR TASK FORCES.

WHICH TASK FORCE, OR AIR UNIT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS?

DID THE AR'CEA DO THIS?

WHAT THE SNAE'TA IS GOING ON DOWN THERE?

ALL TASK FORCES RESPOND!

SHAS'VIOR'LOS'AR'TOL

--- END MESSAGE ---
+++ Close Assigned A.T.T. Channel +++
8th Edition is here: Keep Calm and Carry On!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre

Post#70 » Apr 02 2017 10:08

What was it about the south and explosions?

Da'Anuk looked up at the tremors from the south-west, his battlesuit's filters shielding him from the worst of the blast's effects. Just the previous night the sky had been lit up by a similar display in the opposite quadrant, as the Kor'vattra levelled one of the Ar'cea's major installations. He also took note of the cataclysmic storm of arcane destruction roiling in the distance. Probably best not to go that way he thought. He doubted there would be survivors at either site.

There was still no word from any higher level of command, but it seemed from reports that another force was hitting the northern anomaly. That left only the southeast uncovered by a friendly force.

"All friendly units, this is Da'Anuk," he said over the comm-net, "We're several Tor'kan out from the central wraithgate. It's gone dark, we're not picking up any energy readings or activity from it anymore, and it looks like the Ar'cea are pulling back from it. I'm taking my cadre due SOUTH-EAST. Da'Anuk out."

And with that the pod of skimmers and battlesuits turned and continued on a new heading.

Da'Anuk rather enjoyed going south in this region. He did not know why but it felt like going downhill.
Naked Metal

Return to “General Discussion”