[April, 2017 - MAIN THREAD] The Holographic Principle

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: [April, 2017 - MAIN THREAD] The Holographic Principle

Post#61 » Apr 02 2017 05:51

The screams of the dying Ulthwe guardians stung in Faoldir's heart like the biting pain of murehk, and his fierce soul roared out for justice. The newcommers were as a surprise to the Eldar as they were for the Tau they had saved, smashing into the Ulthwe strike force with all the ferocious strength of the blizzards in their wintry home. Mon-keigh barbarians! Surely the Tau would not stoop so low as to employ such feral beasts to do their fighting for them. Faoldir knew from the previous day's fighting that these Tau were a timid lot, but he knew never to underestimate an adversary, and he still clung to the hope that they might be made of somewhat sterner stuff. Truly their cowardice knew no limits!

Faoldir bellowed a rage-filled curse to the heavens as he commanded his wild riders to change heading. They would make these lost wolves pay dearly for their interference. Enemies on primitive jump-packs rushed to meet them at the head of a wave of rockets and gunfire, but Faoldir was a master of the feint and the doubble-bluff - for was he not Faoldir, scion of Faolchu? - and he led his wild riders to disperse like mist, leaving it to strike nothing and the skyclaws stranded to watch their bretheren be slaughered. The Fire Prism and Vypers struck out at the bikers with their heavy weapons, blasting them apart with krak missile, spearing them with bright lance beam and vaporising them with the mighty blasts of the prism cannon. Now the wild riders fell upon the bulk of the pack. Dozens were felled in the bladestorm of shuriken fire, the monomolecular discs slicing neatly through the joints in their power armour to cut and dismember the warriors inside, and then the counter-charge hit home.

Sword against sword! Chainblade against chainblade! The melee was brief but intensely bloody as the wild riders struck down from their soaring mounts. Though they were but lackeys, they fought proudly and honourably until their deaths, and Faoldir lamented that it was not them that had formed the bulk of the foe - would that the Tau learn from their example! Alas the lightning-quick warriors struck and faded, but these adversaries hit well, and a dozen-score wild riders were lost as they fell from their roaring jetbikes. Enraged at the loss of his noble warriors, Faoldir commanded his kinsmen to follow him to the head of the Mon-keigh. Shuriken fire thinned the ranks of the commander's guards, and the kinsmen laid about the rest in whirlwind of death, snatching off heads and loping off arms with their sweeping blows. Faoldir himself claimed the prize as his Vyper steed swooped down and he lowered his power spear, and with one mighty strike cleaved the head of the Mon-keigh captain clean in twain, sizzling blood bursting from the blow like wave-foam upon the coast.

The skycalws rushed to their aid, but were too late, and were rode down by the wild riders in their second pass. But alas it was for naught, as when they were finished the Tau had gone, escaping as their own minions were butchered. The hunt would not be over so easily, it would seem...
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

CmdrCASh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#62 » Apr 02 2017 07:05

In the Devilfish now speeding northwards, Tash’shi took in his first view of the impending battleground. Almost immediately after the breakthrough at the starport, the cadres had decided on a three pronged counter-attack on the alien structures on the planet known as the Three Pillars. The sensors on the orbital had picked up strange energy signatures coming from them, and had surmised that the Ar’cea were charging them up for some nefarious purpose.

“Sir, why don’t we just blow up the pillar from afar?” was the first question he had for his Shas’vre. “We have long range AND orbital artillery.”

“Because the pillars are shrouded from our targeting systems. Firstly there are the holograms and other stealth wizardry that we need to get our drone-net close enough in one piece to unravel. Secondly, the Fio claim that there’s a non-technological component of the shrouding that the Ar’cea are putting up.”

Tash’shi verified that with a glance on his HUD. High quality recon drone imagery coupled with the data collection passes from Kor aerial assets had been pieced together by the Fio systems into a three-dimensional holomap which was now being projected directly into his eyes via the standard trooper helmet. Yet there was an opaque bubble covering at least sixteen Tor’kan around the known location of the Northern pillar.

“What about direct kinetic strikes? We have the coordinates from the Fio surveys years back. Shouldn’t be a problem to link that up with our weapons targeting arrays.”

“Tried that. It’s not working. In the midst of that shrouding has to be some kind of shielding that’s shrugging off direct attacks. Not sure how they can come up with so much juice to shield their installations, but we figure it should be vulnerable from the ground.”

“And that’s why we’re here,”

“Correct. Take out whatever is shielding that pillar so that our heavy weapons can do their part.”
Ka'ash Sept

Mon'von
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#63 » Apr 02 2017 07:51

The initial strike had been defeated but they had done their job, holding the Eldar in place for maximum effect. The drop pods struck down amidst the forces of Ulthwe, scattering Eldar bodies everywhere and from the smoke and dust emerged the hulking forms of the Terminators unleashing the full fury of Fenris upon the hapless Eldar around them.

From the darkness the war cry of Valhalla surrounded the Eldar as the full force and vengeance of an entire company was brought down upon the frail forms in the night. 3 more drop pods smashed down into the centre of the enemy formation, emerging from the dust the 3 ancient Dreadnoughts began to clear the area with fire and plasma, incinerating any foes that were within range.

All around him the Eldar commander watched as his wild riders dropped like flies to the Tau rail rifles and marine scout snipers. The wolves of Fenris tore into the ranks of the Eldar warriors, ripping them limb from limb with their razor sharp fangs.

In swathes they feel to bolter, fire, plasma and blade the warriors of Valhalla were here and they are thirsty for the blood of Eldar.
"Wyrd bið ful aræd" Fate remains inexorable

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#64 » Apr 02 2017 08:15

The chainblade roared as it chewed the air, slicing down as I ducked and dived, blocking and stabbing with my Lance. I was tiring, though, and the Autarch was gaining the upper hand.I just need to...The chainblade cut into my arm, slicing a shallow cut as I pulled back.

I winced, fresh red blood flowing from the wound. I need to get past him. but how?
I reactivated my stealth field, but the blood kept flowing, revealing my position. The autarch chopped downwards, and with a shower of sparks severed the lance from it's mounting. There goes my weapon.
I deactivated my stealth field, sinking to my knees as though greivously wounded.
The Transdimentional Vortex. This will require perfect timing.
I dared not think what would happen if I failed.
The autarch raised the chainblade for a final, finishing strike.
It roared downwards, and time again seemed to slow. The blade descended towards his helmet, and Drake waited till the last possible second. POP.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#65 » Apr 02 2017 08:18

More hideous mishshapen Mon-keigh! Still they came on, raining from the sky in their metal drop-pods. Others still materialised from teleport beams. Faoldir could hardly believe the depravity and spinlessness of these Tau, for just when he thought he had seen the floor of their dishonour and cowardice, they sank even further. Was there not a soul among them brave enough to face the wild riders, the children of Kurnous, on their own? Did any of them have the mettle to stand out from behind their henchmen? Was there any shred of honour to be found amongst these beastly savages?

Time was fading now. Faoldir sorely wished to break off and continue his pursuit of the Tau, but duty commanded that he stay and fight. Unlike these Tau cowards, his warrior's honour was impeccable - in over five thousand years of stewardship over his clan not one black mark had stained the nobility of himself or his kin. At least the Mon-Keigh made good sport as they fought with the ferocity of true warriors. Indeed, more of Faoldir's wild riders were falling, their skimming steeds dashed to flames and splinters. Faoldir and his kinsmen fought with the fury of the tempest and the wrath of Khaine, slaying any of the clumsy brutes they came near. Grey armoured body after grey armoured body fell to their blades and whizzing shurikens. Directing his vyper steed, Faoldir swooped over the ungainly walkers in the host's midst, striking down at their thin rear armour with his power spear as a lance. The momentum hewed it through the crude iron and ceramite, slicing down the festering remains within, and Faoldir claimed one before the fight was through. But onwards they came, pressing down with sheer numbers.

Yet as all seemed lost he heard salvation screaming in the wind. At first he feared it was a Banshee call, here to ferry him away from the mortal plane, but his heart soared and danced in joy as he heard the familiar voice of his beloved Frayja, leading her host in howling warcry! Once more the wild riders crashed into the fray, and Frayja led the slaughter with her own kinsmen. Vypers struck the remaining Mon-keigh walkers with the glittering fangs of bright lance fire, while the clans' two Fire Prisms lent their irridescent fury in tandem. Against the fury of the storm Faoldir and his kin were delivered.

"Goddess!" He cried to his wife, "Never did I think I would be so joyous to see your beauty again! Though I fear now we have claimed more Mon-keigh than your own."

"Fie on you husband!" Frayja jeered in return, "The tally means little if you do not live to boast of it! We have come to your rescue, which more than evens the score I should think!"

"Indeed I should be glad," Faoldir conceeded, "Though I know not what to make of being rescued like a damsel."

"Fear not my Faoldir," Frayja replied, "For you and your clan have fought well and did not surrender. I think your honour should remain intact. Now come, let us away on our true quarry!"

"Aye my sun!" said Faoldir, "For it serves no good purpose to stay here when the true foe flees and hides."

And so they departed, united in love and battle alike. The Mon-Keigh regrouped, but as they made ready for more bloodshed the wild riders were gone, racing away across the wilderness and leaving their slow flat-footed adversaries to count their many-score dead and chase dust-devils on foot.
Naked Metal

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#66 » Apr 02 2017 08:28

The autarch pulled his chainblade out of the stone beneath me. I reappeared, and brung my fist round to knock the blade out of his hand. Tt pulled back with a short gasp and retreated. "What tau are you?" gasped the autarch, and I realised with a start it was female. I pulled of my helmet. My rail-rifle would not respond to the activation button. "What are you!?" the autarch screamed. I stayed silent, bringing my hand round towards the experimental pistol tucked into my belt. still, despite my movements, she stayed where she was. I whipped out my pistol, spraying the autarch with shots. A shield appeared around her, but one got through, taking her in the shoulder. I roared my victory to the sky. Wait. I have a task to complete. I took out the special Squat grenades. One by one, I pulled the pins, and threw them into the webway. Once I had finishd, I took out the fusion charges and attached the to the frame of the device. I picked up my lance, which was nonfunctioning. I put my helmet back on, opened a channel to shas'vior'los'ar'tol.

"Drake of Covert Ops team 24-c here, south-western wraithgate down. There are several enemy units near my position, but the wraithgate is down. I will move to settlement four and await further instructions."
I set off onto the plains, running at a full sprint. That was a start. I will kill all of them for what they did.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#67 » Apr 02 2017 08:51

Tyrioq looked in horror as his second sight surveyed the damage. Two wraithgates had now fallen, both in the west, but at one of them the Tau had dared to meddle in powers far above their ability to ever truly understand. To open an immaterial rift within a webgate? It seemed the Tau knew no bounds in their creativity for heinous atrocities. At once webway portal after webway portal flared with a blood red glow and sealed shut forever, emergency containment protocols closing off the contaminated webway sections like a gangrenous limb. The damage was contained, and there was no longer any danger of the Great Enemy's minions entering the webway, but it came at a heavy price - over half of the webway network on the world's surface no longer functioned.

The Tau were also closing on the north pillar. There was little that could be done about it now, for though Faoldir and Frayja had decimated the Tau landing parties in the north, they had long since repositoned and he no longer had any meaningful force nearby, his warriors converging in the south in anticipation of a Tau attack there. Still, one pillar could be sacrificed if needbe, and they were almost ready - nine tenths of their optimal energy charge had been obtained, and they now crackled with power and warding shields. Soon it would be too late for the Tau to stop them.

Just as he had foreseen. Just as Fate had commanded.

The Mon-Keigh interlopers were more than expected, though the losses they inflicted were not. In their haste to spill blood however, their choice of deployment left them without transports on the ground, and the wild riders had destroyed their faster elements. They would be in little position to contribute further, forced to slowly move across the wide open wilderness on foot.

Still, it was best not to take such chances with them, and so the Farseer called his council once more to him. Once again Tyrioq felt the surge of tremendous warmth and excitement as psychic energy flowed through him from them.

"Augment."

Then Tyrioq cast this energy once more over the tussock-strewn wilderness, his wrath falling upon the Mon-Keigh from afar. The air shimmered and darkened and the ground almost seem to sink downwards and tremble at what was to come. The skies were rent apart as the immense psychic might was unleashed, and a second Eldritch tempest of unimaginable power engulfed the Mon-Keigh's location.
Naked Metal

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#68 » Apr 02 2017 09:10

Night of the Second Rotaa, 0011:04:56 Dec, West of Settlement 4, 104th Vi’myrii Mechanized Cadre

Shas’la Sac'ea Fo'en entered the Enclave HQ TV-7 through the open rear hatch, and passed quickly through the black curtain to where Shas'Nel Kike'xītomata – Green Sabre Tiger, was monitoring the communications from the cadre command and other units. A few other shas’la were there eating or sleeping, while another cadre NCO conversed with the Shas’nel.

In the infrared light blackout light, the skin of the Tau present turned a pale grey, and they all wore deep shadows over their faces. The Shas’nel studied the face of the younger firewarrior and asked, ‘What are you doing up Shas’la Fo’en, your watch is not for another dec?”

‘Can’t sleep, but I wanted…I wanted to find somewhere safe?’ he replied removing his helmet, and storing his pulse rife.

‘Xhmm, then get something to eat and drink,’ said the old Fireblade. He watched the younger Tau tear into a meal-ready-eat, and then reluctantly start eating. Kike'xītomata looked at his Terigun, or First Sergeant, Shas'Nvre Kireit'shi, and then asked, ‘Why are really here Shas’la?’

The Sac’en firewarrior was one of many stragglers picked up the cadre, most were separated from their units, or were the only ones left from their squads. Shas’la Fo’en, was one such “lost firewarrior”.

‘I suffer these terrible pangs of guilt, like…like somehow my cadre being destroyed was all my fault. That doesn’t make sense; but there it is. And I can’t shake these images in my head of…of my dead ta’lissera brothers…and sisters…laying there mutilated, and bloody. I know the images aren’t real, and I know I’m not responsible; but the terror…and the guilt are still there. Ge’tos and Li’tei both suffer the same aliment…but your firewarriors don’t. Why shas'nel?’

‘So, that’s it then? And I thought he wanted to know why all our firewarriors are so much taller?’ said the Shas'Nvre Kireit'shi – Light of Absolute Victory.

‘That’s what I thought too Li’sun,’ said the Shas’nel, but then taking the Sac’ean firewarrior by the shoulder added, ‘Let’s you and I go outside and let the Shas’nvre here get some sleep. Besides, I want to smoke my pipe.’

And with that, the Shas’nel tossed the firewarrior his pulse rifle and helmet, and ushered him outside. In the inky blackness, both firewarrior could just enough to know where they were, but not much more. The sky was cloudless, moonless, but filled with a quadrillion stars. Each an intense point of silver white light. The old shas’nel used an electric lighter to light his pipe, and then closed its field cover; which let in air, but released no light.

‘It would a twelve evenings like this to tell you the full story of why we’re not affected like you and your brethren. But let me just say that the firecaste of Vior’los, rediscovered an ancient technique from our tribal past. We, in essence, go into a deep trance before battle. It keeps out distractions, and heightens all the senses; for instance even though I can’t see your hands, I know the last finger of your left hand is twitching. Am I right?’

‘T’ah…yes how did you know that?’

‘I can hear it move, just like I can hear your breathing. Just like I can hear our silent firewarriors on the line, shift there weight to keep their legs from falling asleep…They’re giving away there position just as much as if they were yelling and screaming.’

‘Shas’nel, towards the south-west what are those lines of bright light?’

‘Xhmm?…’

There was a tremendous flash in the south-west quadrant. A fireball of immense was seen by the whole cadre; and approximately thirty-five raik'ans later the blast wave hit.

Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#69 » Apr 02 2017 09:26

+++ Assigned A.T.T. Channel +++
--- TO: All Vior’los Ground, Air and Naval Forces ---
--- CODE: 025-345-289-777-400 ---

--- MESSAGE ---

ATTENTION:

AS OF 0011:16:23 DEC A LARGE DETONATION OCCURRED IN THE SOUTH-WEST DISTRICT OF THE YK-7 COLONY. THE BLAST WAS APPROXIMATELY 56 MEGATONS. REPEAT THE BLAST WAS APPROXIMATELY 56 MEGATONS.

THE EPICENTRE OF THE BLAST WAS IN THE VICINITY OF THE AR'CEAN SOUTHERN PILLAR.

PLEASE REPORT ANY CASUALTIES, VEHICLES LOST OR DAMAGED, AND PRESENT STATUS OF YOUR TASK FORCES.

WHICH TASK FORCE, OR AIR UNIT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS?

DID THE AR'CEA DO THIS?

WHAT THE SNAE'TA IS GOING ON DOWN THERE?

ALL TASK FORCES RESPOND!

SHAS'VIOR'LOS'AR'TOL

--- END MESSAGE ---
+++ Close Assigned A.T.T. Channel +++
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#70 » Apr 02 2017 10:08

What was it about the south and explosions?

Da'Anuk looked up at the tremors from the south-west, his battlesuit's filters shielding him from the worst of the blast's effects. Just the previous night the sky had been lit up by a similar display in the opposite quadrant, as the Kor'vattra levelled one of the Ar'cea's major installations. He also took note of the cataclysmic storm of arcane destruction roiling in the distance. Probably best not to go that way he thought. He doubted there would be survivors at either site.

There was still no word from any higher level of command, but it seemed from reports that another force was hitting the northern anomaly. That left only the southeast uncovered by a friendly force.

"All friendly units, this is Da'Anuk," he said over the comm-net, "We're several Tor'kan out from the central wraithgate. It's gone dark, we're not picking up any energy readings or activity from it anymore, and it looks like the Ar'cea are pulling back from it. I'm taking my cadre due SOUTH-EAST. Da'Anuk out."

And with that the pod of skimmers and battlesuits turned and continued on a new heading.

Da'Anuk rather enjoyed going south in this region. He did not know why but it felt like going downhill.
Naked Metal

CmdrCASh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#71 » Apr 02 2017 10:19

Meanwhile, at the North Pillar, even with a weakened force, the Ar'cea were defending the structure with a tenacity that had so far rebuffed the initial Tau attacks.

Shas'ui Tash'shi had long abandoned the the Devilfish that had brought them here, its hull shattered by searing bright lances. He had gathered the four surviving fire warriors and continued the advance through forest terrain, as the Shas'vre in local command had made it in no uncertain terms that the pillar had to be destroyed at all costs. As he reached an outcrop of rock and watched the 'vre's crisis suit team hovering behind the treeline to his left, presumably waiting to launch another attack on the Ar'cea, there was a warning shout by a Sniper Drone Spotter located in the backstop position: "Enemy! From above!"

Tash'shi saw the crisis suits swivel around on their jets, their sensor packed heads angling upwards, scanning for this new threat. Lasblaster beams stabbed down on them, one of them connecting explosively, sending a crisis suit crashing downwards into the dirt. He saw the Shas'vre's battlesuit, the one with the large white antenna, skipping backwards on two gouts of flame, returning fire with missiles and ion blasts. If Tash'shi had been out of cover, without the canopy partially blocking his view, he would have seen a terrifyingly beautiful scene - a swarm of Ar'cea with outstretched wings descending down from the skies, weapons blazing.

The sniper drone teams attempted to track and engage the Ar'cea, but the acute elevation required and the swiftly moving targets made it impossible for them to get a solid lock. Several rail rifle shots whizzed by into empty space.

"Target priority Swooping Hawks," Tash'shi heard the Shas'vre's order, and he hurriedly repeated it to his squad, motioning for them to spread out.

"Every warrior to a firing position! Take down the flying Ar'cea!" he shouted, racing to the nearest opening and raising his pulse rifle upwards, triggering it on full automatic fire at the winged forms swarming through the skies.

Tash'shi noticed the crashed Shas'ui's suit pick itself up jerkily from the ground, its right arm gone, sheared from shoulder joint. But the plasma rifle on its left arm was upraised, pulsing rapidly, burning one of the swooping hawks into a crisp in mid-air as it tried to get a shot in at the damaged crisis suit.

Another took a direct hit from the Shas'vre's cyclic ion blaster, and the Ar'cea flyer spun out of control, its delicate flight systems fried by the weapon's energy pulse. It veered erratically and crashed at terminal velocity into the side of the rocky outcrop with a sickening crunch.

Between Tash'shi's squad and the crisis suits, the Tau put up an impressive show of anti-air firepower. Tash'shi managed to clip one on the wing with a lucky shot, sending it tumbling to the ground where the Shas'vre finished it off with a missile. A fourth was eviscerated by focused pulse rifle fire as it came a bit too close to their positions.

But it was not enough, there were too many of them, too many to take down. The remainder drew their power swords and primed their leg mounted grenade launchers for a devastating assault on the Tau below. Tash'shi watched transfixed, the wings a riot of blurred colours as they began their attack dive, avoiding the energy blasts from the fire warriors and crisis suits. Things seemed to move in slow motion for Tash'shi. Pulse rifle rounds floating lazily upwards at the Hawks, each and every one of them a near miss… A shouted command for the squad to prepare for close assault… The Ar'cea swooped down on them…

… and were promptly blotted out of the sky by a barrage of smart missiles that had intersected their dive path from an oblique angle.

"Broadside team here, who needs a little fire support?" a voice came over the cadre channel. Tash'shi recognized it as that of Shas'ui J'kaara, the veteran battlesuit pilot whose exploits included the single shot kill of a Necron Monolith. Tash'shi heard a cheer go up from his fire warriors, and he allowed himself a grim smile.

But the danger was far from over. The Swooping hawk exarch had seemingly survived the attack with little the worse for wear, and now sped towards the Shas'vre on wings of vibrating plates like an angel of retribution. It activated its slender, curved powered sword, all the while blasting away at the Shas'vre with the shuriken pistol in its other hand.

Fortunately the Shas'vre was no slouch in the dogfighting department, and the decorated war hero started jinking his crisis suit around erratically, evading most of the shots aimed at him, while those that hit did nothing more than just shatter harmlessly against its armour. The cyclic ion blaster attached to the left arm spat rapid fire death at the Exarch, but the Ar'cea avoided them with contemptuous ease, gracefully corkscrewing through the air as if it had lived among the air currents all its life.

The exhaust from the Shas'vre's thrusters drew a dizzying pattern of contrails in the air as both combatants danced around each other in the air, scrabbling for every ounce and every bit of advantage they could find, looking for that one opportunity, that one weakness in the enemy that could win the battle for them.

In terms of agility, the more nimble Exarch had the advantage, cartwheeling in mid air like a gymnast, its powered weapon repeatedly coming close to landing a telling blow on the Shas'vre. But several times the iridium hardened gauntlet armour of the battlesuit parried the blazing sword, turning it away from the more vulnerable or critical parts.

What the suit lacked in speed and maneuverability, it made up for it with superior servo-assisted strength and general durability. While the battlesuit could well afford a few cuts and dents in its armoured shell, the same could not be said of the Exarch. A single solid hit by one of the suit's massive fists would be very much unforgiving, if not immediately fatal.

It was no surprise then that they started employing tactics that suited their strengths as the battle dragged on. The Shas'vre was deployed in a defensive stance, battlesuit arms and legs bent and covering the torso and head, always rotating the front torso towards the Exarch, biding his time and always waiting for the killer Mont'ka moment where it could strike with all the strength and power behind its mechanical muscles and heavy weaponry.

The Exarch on the other hand was constantly moving, never allowing the Shas'vre a chance to land a blow. Its wings whipped it around in a frenzy of attacks, chipping away continuously at the battlesuit's formidable defences, embodying the fighting style of "death by a thousand cuts" while its sleeve mounted forceshield projectors turned away any lucky shots from the crisis suit's weapons.

In the end the deciding factor was neither the skill nor cunning of either combatant. It was a minor battle damage sustained by the Exarch's wings in the earlier smart missile attack. In normal flight, this would have hardly been a cause for concern. But in a tight spiraling battle between two evenly matched opponents, the ever so slight slowdown in the speed of a turn, of a feint, or of a dodge was the difference between a successful or failed attack and evasion.

It happened when the Exarch stretched itself for a blinding sequence of slashes and cuts at the Shas'vre, hoping to smash through an exposed gap or weaker section of armour. To Tash'shi it seemed at that moment that the Shas'vre was enveloped by a solid shell of energy as the faster Ar'cea orbited the slower battlesuit several times, going for the kill.

Then the Shas'vre struck back. The Exarch pulled away a fraction too late, and the armoured fist smashed into its body with resounding force, too powerful for the forceshield to nullify, its generator collapsing on itself as it failed to dissipate the kinetic energy. The Exarch was hurled backwards, a split moment out of control, and the Shas'vre instantly rippled off a trio of missiles, the ensuing explosion rattling even the Shas'vre who was strapped in tightly in the cockpit of the crisis suit.

Even as the burning body parts of the Exarch clattered onto the ground, Tash'shi ordered his squad to advance. A single squad of Ar'cea jump infantry had held off their attack long enough, and they were running out of time. Up ahead the pillar was already starting to glow.
Ka'ash Sept

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#72 » Apr 02 2017 11:04

Colony YK-7: Somewhere, maybe kinda sort of in the general area of the southern pillar?

‘Yep, yep they did it alright. We sure did. The south-west pillar is no more. Yep, they done it alright…’ thought Bob as he sang.

We dig up diamonds by the score,
A thousand rubies, sometimes more,
But we don't know what we dig 'em for,
We dig dig dig a-dig dig.
Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho
Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho…

Presently Bob found himself upside down, or right side up, or ass backwards; but he just wasn’t sure which. Being without power inside his model 1936 Binford 40,000 Advanced Tactical Jump Dreadnought Terminator Battlesuit; he couldn’t see a damn thing of what was going on outside. Where were Bronco, Jim, Slim, Phred or the new guy Durango? Hell, Bob didn’t know where he was! Before they fired on the south pillar, all five of them had retracted the legs on their battlesuits. Deciding that the anti-grav motors would allow them the quickest get away. And the battlesuits being essentially round in shape, where like beach balls bobbing on the ocean, only they were bobbing when a tsunami hit.

The shock wave had sent all five of them flying who knows where.

Right now Bob’s battlesuit could be inside a 3,000 degree fireball, or on the bottom of a lake, or seven kilometers away and stuffed in between a rock cliff and a tree. Beside having no idea of determining where he was; worse yet Bob couldn’t get out. The interior capsule of the battlesuit floated on a maglev field, so as to allow ultra fast rotation of the exterior weapon bearing hull. And since the power had gone out, the hatch which should be above and in front of him, was somewhere else. Was it below and to the right? Or above and to the left? Again Bob had no way of telling.

Waiting for what seemed like hours, Bob had by now sung every song he learned as a young dwarf; and almost everyone he had learned as an adult. He even went through the Skasquats’ entire repertoire of songs.
But this wasn’t getting him anywhere, where ever that happened to be. So he started in singing again.

Yippie yi ooh,
Yippie yi yay,
Ghost riders in the sky.
Their faces gaunt, their eyes were blurred, their shirts all soaked with sweat…

However Bob still wondered, ‘Where had it all gone wrong? Was it when the team agreed to join the Jhi’nanii cadre? Was it even before that even, when they agreed to go Shas'O'T'au'la's plan to send them down to the planet? Certainly joining the “Freaks and Geeks” Vior’los cadre had been a contributing factor. What with their unique blend of violence, perversion, insanity, and eccentricity. But then again, they weren’t bad folks, when you got to know them…’

As I walked out in the streets of Laredo,
As I walked out in Laredo one day,
I saw a young cowboy, all dressed in white linen,
Dressed in white linen, as cold as the clay…

‘...And they really had been a fun bunch, once the team got planetside anyways! Blowing up webportals, surprising unsuspecting Guardians or Aspect Warriors, and then stomping the hell out of them. Bob personally had gun downed an entire Aspect shrine worth of Howling Banshees; and Bronco had vaporised a whole squadron of Shinning Spears. So no, that wasn’t it?

“Whoa there big fella!” Didn’t the salesman at the Binford dealership say something about not crossing the energy beams of the Binford 40,000 Micro Über Death Ray Cannon? Something about…causing…wait what was it again? A catastrophic collapse of the time space continuum…in combination with a thermonuclear denotation…and a shift in the transdimentional warp vortex…Ah, hell now Bob couldn’t remember what was the squat salesman had told him…Oh, well like the their ancestor The Tool Man had always said, “Real men don’t need instructions!”’

Bob started to sing again,
Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho,
It's home from work we go,
Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho…

Last edited by TauMan on Apr 04 2017 01:21, edited 4 times in total.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#73 » Apr 02 2017 11:27

The shockwave from the cataclysm rushed over the rocky outcrop, sweeping Tyrioq's robes around him with the rage of a typhoon. Just west of where he stood was now blinding light and roaring fire. Trees bent back reeling from the onslaught, and dust chocked the skies. Then in an instant it was over, and the southern pillar was no more.

One pillar's loss was acceptable to the Farseer, but two most certainly were not. Now only one remained, and though it was all that was necessary to trap the orbital in Vaul's Torment, there would be no redundancy should it fail. Things were now growing dire. The webway network was patchy, and far too many of his warriors had died. The Eldar had always known how dangerous these Tau could be, and Tyrioq had thought he had gathered a mighty enough host to stop them. The force he had brought to the world would have been enough to bring an entire sector of the Mon-Keigh imperium to its knees or hurl back one of the Great Enemy's infernal crusades single-handedly, yet here he was, with his army in shambles.

With the paths to victory growing ever fewer, he decided to turn to his ultimate contingency. Even if the orbital could not be trapped he could at least end the existence of these Tau on the surface, which still held the greatest threat for the future. But first he would need to regroup his forces. The time had come to employ one of the more impressive feats his bonesingers had prepared. Tyrioq walked down from the outcrop to his hidden command camp, and approached a control terminal at its centre. His fingers danced over the runes of its holographic interface, then ushered a single command.

Relocation Matrix, initiate.

At once the towering pillar in the west, the last one standing, vanished in blast of multi-coloured brilliance. In an instant it had re-materialised hundreds of miles away, completely unscathed and still glowing with energy. It was joined by much of the other remaining Eldar infrastructure, including the entire second airbase, over the displaced ruins of where the first airbase once stood. The entire Eldar web of death they had weaved on the planet's surface was now concentrated in this shattered land of grim, charred craters and thick obsidian glass. Several small bands of Eldar were already here, scouring the area for any intact spirit stones that might have remained after the orbital attack. Now he called every last remaining Eldar warrior to this place, and they began to pour out of the relocated webway portals. Though only a fraction of their starting strength, there were still more than enough strike forces to eliminate the Tau... if they fought well. After all, Fate had decreed that the Eldar would stand victorious upon this day. Surely they must win.

Tyrioq nodded in satisfaction as he surveyed the apocalyptic landscape. It was a fitting place for death.

Augmented by his seer council, the Farseer reached into the heavens and cast a mighty shield of psychic force above the area. The skies crackled with power and the firmament shimmered where the field ran through it. No amount of firepower would breach it while Tyrioq still drew breath. His enemies would have to come to him through the ground now.
Naked Metal

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#74 » Apr 02 2017 11:51

To all the comrades still in the field! It is almost midnight in the mid-western USA, and I have to go to bed! :sad:
Keep up the good fight, and anyone who wants to can take temporary command of the Shas'Vior'los'ar'tol
So until tomorrow.
Good night and good luck!

The TauMan
:fear:
Last edited by TauMan on Apr 03 2017 06:52, edited 1 time in total.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#75 » Apr 02 2017 11:59

"All friendly units, this is Da'Anuk. We've just detected a massive energy spike in the south-east, over where the Ar'cea base used to be. I don't know how, but it looks like they've teleported the western pillar over there along with most of their remaining infrastructure. Concealment activity is now minimum, but the Kor are reporting that there's a massive energy field overhead, and they won't be able to get much in the way or orbital strikes through it. It seems to me like they're getting ready for a last stand. I say we stage a Mont'ka on it and push these aliens off our planet for good."

The cadre now raced south-east at top speed. they were already closing on the Ar'cea airbase's ruins when they noticed the teleport. It defied belief that they would be able to shift something like that in an instant, but Da'Anuk had seen stranger things in his lifetime. Regardless, it looked like Hunter Cadre Da'Anuk would be amongst the first there.

The signs of life began to grow sparser as they neared the site. Eventually not even lichens covered the bare tortured earth, and soon they were gliding across a dark grey and black wasteland of dust, glass and pulverised earth. At the epicentre of the devastation lay the Ar'cea, in a sprawling fortress that shined out with silver brilliance against the charred surroundings. The skies above were dark with crackling, malignant purple energy upon which clouds seemed to condense into hanging droplets of water and dirty smears of dust.

No other friendly support had arrived yet, but Hunter Cadre Da'Anuk would not need it. Now was the time to strike back.

Stopping a short distance away from the fortress perimeter, the Stingray heavy missile gunships attached to the cadre touched down behind broken fingers of seared rock, aimed their turrets towards the heavens, and let loose a full barrage. hunter missiles, submunition missiles, seeker and destroyer rockets rained down on the perimeter by the dozen. Thermobarric seeker missiles streaked into strong points, spilling out thick clouds that boiled into spectacular blasts that shattered wraithbone and alien alloy and crushed any Ar'cea unfortunate enough to be in the blast within their own armour. Closing the distance, the hammerheads began to pound the enemy with railgun fire and ion beams, and under this cover the devilfish powered into the breach to disgorge their cargo of Firewarriors onto the silver alien pavement, battlesuits landing with a series of crashes behind them.

The final battle had begun...
Naked Metal

CmdrCASh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#76 » Apr 03 2017 01:04

The Northern pillar had gone down under a concentrated assault from Tigershark ax-1-0 heavy railguns.

After the protective screening from the Ar’cea warlocks had been eliminated and the shield generator disabled by pathfinders and their EMP grenades, the flyers from the famed Titan Hunter Cadre had formed up an attack using simultaneous approach vectors from all points of the compass. That diluted the remaining defences and while several went down to desperate attacks from crimson Ar’cea fighters, the majority punched through unscathed.

Hypervelocity rounds pounded the pillar like a sledgehammer demolishing a rock statue, dismantling it bit by bit, shearing, burning off chunks of exotic material with every hit until the structure could no longer hold the pent up energy inside, which it finally disgorged in a titanic explosion.

No rest for the Greater Good, Tash’shi thought to himself as the remnants of the task force were now being picked up by landing Mantas, to be redeployed to the final assault on the remaining Pillar. The Southern one had been taken out by the Kor’vattra, according to the latest reports. Already the foremost cadre in the area was starting their attack…
Ka'ash Sept

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#77 » Apr 03 2017 01:55

Monomolecular shurikens and plasma pulse bursts zipped through the air in all directions as the Tau pushed deeper into the complex. The Eldar had produced what could almost be described as a small city, a vast collection of gleaming jewel-studded pyramids, perfectly rounded domes and slender elegant spires between which ran an intricate labyrinth of pathways on the silver alien pavement. Pristine structures freshly relocated stood amongst burnt-out skeletal ruins of the old bombarded facility. The ashen skies began to darken with the fading sun.

Firewarrior teams swept through the fortress, pressing on towards the centre. Some were still mounted, travelling in their devilfish to a target before piling out to unleash a torrent of pulse fire at close range. For others, their transports lay burning on the pavement, and they advanced on foot, leapfrogging from cover to cover up the pathways. Behind them Cal'Ka'Eoro had formed up the cadre's static elements into a formidable firebase to secure their rear and keep the breach open. Every so often an infantry leader would pause to level his markerlight, bringing a seeker missile screaming down the pathways at a target of opportunity. Hammerheads fought a lethal game of cat-and-mouse with Falcons and Fire Prisms as the grav-tanks stalked each other amongst the buildings. Every so often a series of flashes from unseen burst cannons marked out where the stealth teams were clashing with lurking Striking Scorpions in the shadows. Ol'Ta led her squadron in chasing Vypers down the pathways, tearing them apart in iridescent fireballs with fusion blaster fire whenever they managed to get close. The cadre's riptide and crisis teams jumped from hot-spot to hot-spot, lending their firepower wherever needed.

At once a squad of Ar'cea in bulky suits of armour materialised behind Da'Anuk and his bodyguards in a corona of lightning. Ko'Ta'Kir swerved back to intercept as their leader levelled a sinister rifle at the Shas'O's back. A barely-visible line of mono-filament wire lanced out and struck the Shas'vre in her battlesuit's shoulder, dislocating it with a cascade of sparks as it unfurled into a twisted spiral. In response green team gunned the entire squad down in a hail of plasma bolts, fusion blasts and ion beams. The damage shoulder joint held firm, but could no longer move freely.

Da'Anuk was starting to worry. The Ar'cea they had encountered were fighting fanatically, but what was even more unsettling was that they seemed to only be the same black and bone marked troops as the ones they fought on the plains en route to the starport. From studying reports Da'Anuk was aware that there were likely at least two other Ar'cea formations on the planet's surface, but they currently seemed unaccounted for. He had a chilling feeling that the Ar'cea they were facing now were simply the lure in a Kau'yon.

More Tau forces were making their way to the Ar'cea fortress, and should start arriving soon. His cadre just needed to hold on until they did...

Clad in full dire ebony rune armour and a matching ghosthelm, with radiant singing spear in his hand, Tyrioq walked steadily towards the sounds of strife and battle with his seer council by his side. All about him Black Guardians and skimmers poured towards the breach like warp spiders around a foreign psychic presence. Support weapons were slid to the battle along their floating grav-repulsors, and war walkers prowled ahead like hungry predators. Above him, he could see the stars watching on with baited breath.

This was the moment, this was his destiny. Every fate and outcome brought him here, to this place, to this time.

"Why do you fight on?" he asked, as much to the Tau as anyone else, his words echoing through the psychic plane and the mind as much as they were carried across the air, "Surely you must know that this is where your path ends. Destiny is certain. The final verdict of Fate has been laid down. You cannot oppose it, any more than you can oppose the passage of time.

The ending has already been written, I have seen it. Your stars will burn, and your hero shall wither and die. My master Eldrad, greatest among our kind, shall awaken the last great hope of the Eldar and the worlds of the Mon-Keigh shall be drowned in darkness. From their ashes shall arise new lords, new heroes, new realms. All that you hold dear shall be swept aside and forgotten, while the glory of the Eldar is forged anew in the storm and the fire of the Rhana Dandra, and we shall rise into a shining age of kings. This is the way it must be, for this is the destiny that awaits us all. Fate cannot be denied.

Lay down your arms, and accept what is inevitable. What more do you fight for besides your own trivial survival? Hope? Duty? They are illusions foolish ones, as unreal as the holographic phantasms and concealment matrices that shield us from your gaze. Could it be for compassion for those you cherish? Their survival is no more relevant than your worthless existence. There is no way you can win. Even if you slaughter us all, you will be doomed by the future we will unleash.

So why then, do you fight us? Why do you persist?"
Naked Metal

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#78 » Apr 03 2017 03:32

"proceed to last pillar? will do. Drake out."

The orca pilot had obviously gotten the message too, and now Drake felt the orca tilting forwards and the hum of the reactor increasing in volume.
"T'ahhh... Drake?"
"Yes?" It was one of the medic staff.
"Gray has woken up and insisted on getting to the fight.
"Oh... Goddamit!" Blasted woman! She should be resting!
"Sorry sir, there was nothing we could do to stop her."
A new voice patched in.
"She was summoned to settlement four. There I equipped her with the same suit you have, along with a new set of fun toys." It was O'vesa.
"Shas'ui?" Drake adressed the medic.
"Yes?"
"Thanks for informing me."

The orca dropped, and the hatch slid open. Drake made sure he had his weapons ready, and then flung himself towards the alien fortress. He dropped from on high, stealth field activating as he fell. He activated the jump-pack. His downward motion was arrested, and he swept through the breach made for the original assault.
"Drake of Covert Ops team 24-c here. Need a hand?"
He grinned.

Return to “General Discussion”