How it used to be (Sharing the hobby)

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Tael
Fio'O

How it used to be (Sharing the hobby)

Post#1 » Apr 12 2017 11:28

Bit of a throwback thursday post, harking to a time when things were apparently, simpler.

For instance, these photos I uncovered today when looking up old Necromunda notes:

Why back in the 90's, we had to photograph our minis with an actual camera, get the film processed by riding my bicycle to the shopping centre and wait an hour (I usually rode further to the shops where my local GW store was); ride home, scan each slowly, use MicrosoftPaint on my pentium PC to edit the size, upload via FTP, HTML code it on my website. Then email friends around the world as a mail group or BBCode forum; to notify them what I painted that week.

We're a ridiculously spoilt lot today. :P

I don't think I was zen-like patient kid back then, I simply had a lot to do to keep my mind off the time it took to post onto the Internet :D

Panzer
Shas'La

Re: How it used to be (Sharing the hobby)

Post#2 » Apr 12 2017 11:46

The feeling when your ancient miniature pictures have better quality than the pictures my windows phone takes. :D

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre

Post#3 » Apr 13 2017 12:15

Honestly with the recent shenanigans I've had to put up with on photobucket the last time I tried to upload model photos I think I might actually prefer the old system of physical film development over it. :P

There is of course two sides to every story. While it may have been more tedious to share what one had been painting to international strangers, I have a feeling that with all the extra social emphasis placed on GW stores and FLGSs in those times it would be just as easy to flaunt the latest projects to the local crowd. But then I could just be badly extrapolating - I got into the hobby just at the start of the digital age, and the first camera I ever owned was a digital one so I never had to deal with getting photos developed.

Oddly enough though, there was a photo/camera store in the same building as the first GW store I ever frequented, as well as the optometrist I had at the time (which meant I ended up looking through it whenever I needed an eye exam or new glasses. Ahh those were the days).
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Tael
Fio'O

Post#4 » Apr 13 2017 02:31

Indeed - I was in the interesting position of a good social atmosphere at the store for games night etc, whilst having lived overseas in a few countries, lots of friends back there always interested in how my Imperial Guard or Bretonnian collection was going. :)

Return to “General Discussion”