If I own Kauyon, do I need the Tau Codex?

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
guges
Shas'La

If I own Kauyon, do I need the Tau Codex?

Post#1 » Apr 14 2017 05:56

Returning to 40k after not having played seriously since 5th. I'm almost not completely confused by formations and detachments and I almost understand how Farsight Enclaves work...

I was just about to buy the Tau Codex, which I assume will stay relevant through some of 8th since it's only about a year old. I then realized it seems to have everything that Kauyon has, without any of the Tidewall rules. I'm kind of baffled by that as I thought both books came out around the same time.

So I know I'm late to the party but I'd like to turn to the experts and find out which book I should buy as they are both prohibitively expensive.

Thanks.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre

Re: If I own Kauyon, do I need the Tau Codex?

Post#2 » Apr 14 2017 06:04

The Tau rules in Kau'yon are essentially an add-on to the 6th edition codex to bring it in line with the 7th edition one. It contains all the extra stuff in the 7th edition codex that is missing in the 6th edition book, thus allowing people who already own a copy of the 6th edition codex to simply buy Kau'yon instead of a new codex.

So if you own the 7th edition Tau codex, you don't need Kau'yon, but if you own the 6th edition codex then you need either Kau'yon or the 7th edition book.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

guges
Shas'La

Post#3 » Apr 14 2017 06:16

But the Codex has no Tidewall stats or formations so it seems like it has less. What does the codex actually have that Kauyon doesn't? It seems like Kauyon has everything plus the Tidewall stuff.

guges
Shas'La

Post#4 » Apr 14 2017 08:57

I figured it out.

The codex has a bunch of units in it that aren't contained in Kauyon. Riptides, Stealthsuits, etc.

You really do need one of the other codexes in order to use Kauyon.

Thanks for the advice.

Return to “General Discussion”