Non-GW models played as.......

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Da-Rock
Shas

Non-GW models played as.......

Post#1 » Apr 20 2017 11:36

I found some models displayed on this site, (Tau jetbike conversion) that was so cool that I decided to buy some and use. The jetbikes I purchased are the same dimensions as the Tetra and I assume would be an easy conversion.

My question/issue: I am not going to buy IA3 to get the Tetra rules and I cannot find them anywhere else. The next best thing I could see using them as is Piranhas. Besides the dimensions not matching, do you see this as a problem for home games with friends?

Is there anything else they could be used as?

Mirth
Shas'La

Re: None GW models played as.......

Post#2 » Apr 20 2017 11:59

Da-Rock, as long as it is with friends and they are cool with it, I see no reason to not use it as anything you'd like (within reason, of course). :)

You could run some allied Eldar jetbikes (the horror! ;) ), you could use them as the various alternate gun-drone profiles (heavy gun drones, for instance- yes, it is a FW model), piranhas are an excellent choice, you could run them as Vespid (I suppose, at least), or heck, you could even write your own rules for them so long as your friends are cool with the profiles. I know there have been some jetbike Tau rules that have come up in the conversion challenges that have been considered by the community. Here's some links to get you started (though I'm sure there are more that can be found)-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25242&p=317944&hilit=jetbike+tau#p317944

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=25249&p=318005&hilit=jetbike+tau#p318005

Please note that there are some modeling things mixed in with rules options, but it should be good to get you started. ;) So long as your opponents agree to their points/profiles, you should be good to go! :)

Sweet looking models, btw. ;)
When we forget we are soldiers, we stop fighting.

Da-Rock
Shas

Post#3 » Apr 20 2017 02:19

Great info!

I always get confused by the allies rules. Can I play just a unit of Eldar Jetbikes and not the HQ and Troops like you can with Assassins or do I need to pay for the HQ and troops?

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#4 » Apr 20 2017 02:42

Da-Rock wrote:Great info!

I always get confused by the allies rules. Can I play just a unit of Eldar Jetbikes and not the HQ and Troops like you can with Assassins or do I need to pay for the HQ and troops?

Unless you play unbound units always have to be part of a formation/detachment.

Mirth
Shas'La

Post#5 » Apr 20 2017 04:48

As Panzer said your units would have to be part of a detachment. However, all you need for an allied detachment is one HQ and one troop choice- so an Autarch on a jetbike and a unit of three jetbikes would fit the bill just fine. :) Otherwise you could have a CAD with an Autarch on jetbike for your HQ and then two units of jetbikes for your troops if you want a full CAD.

Da-Rock
Shas

Post#6 » Apr 20 2017 04:56

Excellent. That is what I thought. I was sure that only Assassins bypassed the detachment part etc. The Eldar bikes actually work really well as long as I don't add any fancy gear or psyker stuff.

Mirth
Shas'La

Post#7 » Apr 20 2017 06:20

Yup, Eldar bikes would be really easy to ally in. There are a couple other detachments that, like the assassins, don't rely on the normal CAD/Allied Detachment, but nothing that would fit jetbikes as well as an Eldar CAD/Allied detachment.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#8 » Apr 20 2017 10:11

Assassins don't bypass the detachment part either. And neither do Imperial Knights. They just have special detachments in their codices that require only one model minimum. ;)

Likewise other armies could simply ally in 3 Riptides with the Riptide Wing formation etc. ^^

Return to “General Discussion”