The run to 8th edition

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Pyropower
Shas'Saal

Re: The run to 8th edition

Post#651 » May 19 2017 11:09

Imperial Knights focus is out:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... l-knights/

Not too sure how I feel about it so far, they seem to be great at range and CC with no real weaknesses. Especially with a 360 Ion Shield
I am happy to see my Trygon might be dishing out some good damage though.

KuroRyu
Shas'La

Post#652 » May 19 2017 11:16

Is any one else actually excited about the prospect of close combat being worth investing in?

So many players I've seen saying dedicated cc units aren't even worth putting on the table these days. If the balance between ranged and close combat is restored a bit I'm looking forward to seeing more variety on the table than whatever marine formation puts out the most shots for the least points.

Also kroot might find more use than being a speed bump or pretending to be snipers. I'm not naiive, I know they'll never be stellar cc fighters but i'd expect them to be able to take on a stock tactical marine squad and have a good chance of living to tell the tale.

Pyropower
Shas'Saal

Post#653 » May 19 2017 11:19

Well as a long term Nid player I am extremely happy about the return of close combat. My guys were already pretty good at it, but getting there was always my challenge especially with so many low AP weapons out there.
As someone who is just picking up Tau because I want a new army. Kind of scared as all I hear is that Tau get chewed up in combat. Gonna keep as mobile as possible and run away from those khorne beserkers

Quartz
Shas

Post#654 » May 19 2017 11:38

I played a massive 15,000 pt a side battle in the summer which was Tau, Nids and Orks vs SM and IG. Aside from being a great weekend I did find that a mob of 150 boyz did fail when up against a 15 man terminator squad that deepstriked next to them whereas the Nids did quite well getting all up close and personal. It was a bit of "who could shoot the biggest gun" though and I think that game would be great to re-play in 8th as our (the Xenos) side had the majority of the cc units.
We gave them a chance at the greater good, now they die

fraction64
Shas'Saal

Post#655 » May 19 2017 12:12

Well if you show up with 5 supremacy suits and they are still broken strong for their points (assuming you can fit them in) then your opponent can just say "naw I'm good " and play someone else. Though it is entirely possible that it has been balanced well enough against other units that almost any army would actually stand a chance for the same points.
On another note I am interested in the replacement for stomps the knight article mentioned and how that will work for the stormsurge.

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#656 » May 19 2017 01:27

fraction64 wrote:Well if you show up with 5 supremacy suits and they are still broken strong for their points (assuming you can fit them in) then your opponent can just say "naw I'm good " and play someone else. Though it is entirely possible that it has been balanced well enough against other units that almost any army would actually stand a chance for the same points.
On another note I am interested in the replacement for stomps the knight article mentioned and how that will work for the stormsurge.

Sure they can say that. But if they say it in a tournament, they'll lose points, and the 5xLOW player will advance without even having to try.

This new ed was advertised as being much better balanced than previous ones. While maybe not specifically stated, that should include diminishing the reliance on LOW choices and making regular Infantry more useful than before. Today's news seems to be a step in the wrong direction because it allows any army to bring 5 arbitrary LOWs. They've already told us how you need 500 lasgun shots to bring down a Gorkanaut, what the hell are those armies supposed to do against 5 even bigger guys?

fraction64
Shas'Saal

Post#657 » May 19 2017 01:37

Well I would bring more than lasguns for one. A varied army should be able to deal with these guys much better than it used to. Now all weapons can hurt them and quite a few that were garbage against them are now pretty good. Even a heavy bolter is a threat to a knight so I don't see them stomping over entire armies anymore. Plus a knight in its last damage catagory is kind of a joke. You would feel bad for it as he limps across the field firing blindly like an ork. Please just put it out of its misery already. :::(

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#658 » May 19 2017 01:46

Unicornsilovethem wrote:This new ed was advertised as being much better balanced than previous ones. While maybe not specifically stated, that should include diminishing the reliance on LOW choices and making regular Infantry more useful than before. Today's news seems to be a step in the wrong direction because it allows any army to bring 5 arbitrary LOWs. They've already told us how you need 500 lasgun shots to bring down a Gorkanaut, what the hell are those armies supposed to do against 5 even bigger guys?

Use something else than a 100% Lasgun infantry army in tournaments? :D

KuroRyu
Shas'La

Post#659 » May 19 2017 03:00

Panzer wrote:
Unicornsilovethem wrote:This new ed was advertised as being much better balanced than previous ones. While maybe not specifically stated, that should include diminishing the reliance on LOW choices and making regular Infantry more useful than before. Today's news seems to be a step in the wrong direction because it allows any army to bring 5 arbitrary LOWs. They've already told us how you need 500 lasgun shots to bring down a Gorkanaut, what the hell are those armies supposed to do against 5 even bigger guys?

Use something else than a 100% Lasgun infantry army in tournaments? :D

Pretty likely to happen. Like us, one of the selling points of IG is their versatility and variety of arms they can put on a table.

On our side i'm willing to bet that some focused fire from rail and fusion weapons will bring down a knight without too much fuss. Unlike the last game I had with a knight that sat and soaked railguns all game whilst not giving a flying monkeys about anything else on the table for that matter. Now even with an ion shield they have the same invuln as a terminator which anyone who has fielded or shot at terminators knows can't be relied on to save them.

In a sortof realistic turn of events I imagine knights will need ground support. It was mentioned that they'll be more vulnerable in CC (due to lacking that ion shield I guess). If you've got nothing but knights what's stopping infantry from swamping them with melta bombs, haywire and even krak.

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#660 » May 19 2017 04:15

Due to public abuse of the moderation team some posts in this thread have been pruned.

By joining and posting on ATT you have accepted the Rules and Guidelines and are expected to follow them.

If you have a problem with a decision of one of the team then please contact either them directly or another member of the team via PM. Public outbursts will not be tolerated.

Advanced Tau Tactica is a content-driven community. We strive to maintain high standards so members may collaborate with their peers in great discussions. Well-written, respectful dialogue is part of what distinguishes ATT. Anyone can join ATT, but if you want to participate, you must make the effort to participate well. The following is a summary of our Member Guidelines and Expectations:

1) Treat each other with respect whilst using family-appropriate language.
2) Post with substance or not at all (includes proper spelling and grammar).
3) Post only what you know. If you're unsure about something, look it up.
4) Stay on topic.
5) Ask/search before you propose the Next Big Thing.
6) Post in existing topics rather than starting new ones.
7) Be ethical.
8) Respect intellectual property rights.
9) Avatars : 80x80 pixels in size, non-animated.
10) Signatures are limited to 55 characters.

The Admin team may warn, delete, or ban users whose posts consistently fail to meet the criteria explained in our Membership Primers, which all members of ATT are expected to have read and understood before posting. Reasonable allowances will be made for those members for whom English is a second language.

Return to “General Discussion”