The run to 8th edition

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: The run to 8th edition

Post#55 » Apr 26 2017 10:51

Tash'Var is definitely the closest of the existing ones but still slightly different.
Might be because it's some symbol on a stone ring thingy....or because it's a new Tau symbol. Nothing stopping GW from inventing a new Sept with advancing the story (especially because some of the existing ones don't even have a symbol yet). ;)

It's already confirmed that S = 2xT is no instant death anymore, so I doubt it'll affect FnP the way we're used to in 8th.

D6 wounds could really bring the Railcannon back. Can't wait to field my Railhead Longstrike again. :)
I hope it will still be a Lascannon++ with better strength and better AP.....or maybe finally a beam mechanic (a man can dream, okay?!) :D

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#56 » Apr 27 2017 12:29

A wild theory and probably not correct is that it is a Ambull skull.

Also someone did photoshopping of the picture and if it's a clock there should be 12 faces. Accounting for every single xenos faction and sub faction today that would leave two blank spots on the clock if it is a xenos clock. Why do people think it's a clock? Because it matches the theme of the Imperium clock they made for the GS trilogy.

However the most likely scenario is that this is the xenos book mentioned that is a collection for 8th. However Age of Sigmar has hidden clues for new factions far in advance of their new releases quite often. So even if it's just the 8th editon xenos book doesn't mean it can't be hiding additional secrets.

Edit
If this is hinting at an eventual new xenos race I am going to flip out in joy.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#57 » Apr 27 2017 01:50

Edit
If this is hinting at an eventual new xenos race I am going to flip out in joy.

You and me both :D

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#58 » Apr 27 2017 01:55

I won't stop hoping for Exodites Tau Auxillarys until confirmed otherwise. I want an army with giant mechs and dinosaurs! :D

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#59 » Apr 27 2017 02:32

Likely to see more monstrous creatures and war machines ahead with the new rules and stats for such things.

This lead up is similar to many releases, we may have new rules shortly. My mind plays on the idea of White Dwarf's 40th being a suitable time for the release of ..40k.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#60 » Apr 27 2017 03:06

And as we've seen with fantasy 8th, AoS and Gathering Storm GW LOVES big monstrous units. :P

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#61 » Apr 27 2017 05:21

I never said it looks like a clock. It forms a circle. It might :D
And yeah, it's Tash'var. I don't know how I could oversee something like this. But why Tash'var and not T'au, Vior'la or Sa'cea? Is it not some kind of insignificant?

T'au weaponry is said to be strong, why shouldn't Pulse Rifles get AP -1?

And another question: What makes more sense? Rolling to hit, then saves and then D6 for wounds or turned around (throw d6 wounds and try a save for each)?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#62 » Apr 27 2017 05:24

Ricordis wrote:T'au weaponry is said to be strong, why shouldn't Pulse Rifles get AP -1?

Same reason Bolter didn't get it. Because it doesn't fit the new balance scale. Keep in mind that a friggin Lascannon is only at -3 in 8th.

Ricordis wrote:And another question: What makes more sense? Rolling to hit, then saves and then D6 for wounds or turned around (throw d6 wounds and try a save for each)?

Depends on what do you mean with more sense?
The way it will work in 8th is you roll the save and then do d6 wounds. If the the shot passes your armor/cover/whatever it HURTS. The other way around would be more akin to d6 hits (as the flamer has). ;)

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#63 » Apr 27 2017 06:09

Its a lot more like an RPG in that regards. The individual suffering the hit takes 1D6 damage.

Maybe they will try to match the through and through shots that railguns made on Leeman Russ tanks in the 4th edition codex by letting the railgun inflict damage on the unit to represent the shot punching through multiple members of the unit.

Also, multiple auto hits for templates and blast weapons make them very nasty against vehicles and monstrous creatures. The overload function of ion weapons suddenly looks a lot better. The blast on the Ghostkeel's fusion collider is a lot better now too.

Also, 9" deepstrike bubbles would be fine for an army who's standard melta weapon has a range of 18 inches.

555ea
Shas'Saal

Post#64 » Apr 27 2017 09:15

Jefffar wrote:Also, multiple auto hits for templates and blast weapons make them very nasty against vehicles and monstrous creatures. The overload function of ion weapons suddenly looks a lot better. The blast on the Ghostkeel's fusion collider is a lot better now too.

I think that template and blast weapons would be balanced either with only single hit against mosters\vehichels, or if its D6 hits, then it'd be 1 wound per hit. Otherwise D6 hits with D6 wound each would be OP and much more effective than single shot railguns\lascannons.

P.S. Movement https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... -movement/

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#65 » Apr 27 2017 09:59

So functionally all units now have hit and run.

So nice for Tau.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#66 » Apr 27 2017 10:11

Very good change. No more freaking Pathfinders rolling snake eyes in Ld tests and keeping the enemy from our weapons!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#67 » Apr 27 2017 11:10

Okay this is big. Gotta love the movementchanges!

But I really hope our S7 AP4 weapons have at least AP-1 in 8th or fighting Space Marines will be a nightmare since Riptides, Hammerheads and Plasma Crisis for sure won't completely ignore their armor anymore.
Being able to walk out of melee is nice but not if they still have their 3+ armor against anything you shoot with except for the REALLY big guns. :D

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#68 » Apr 27 2017 11:20

"First rank, retreat! Second rank, fire!"
Could be nice if we can keep our overwatch like it is now. Forcing the enemy to proc our overwatch over and over again.
Kroot conga-lines incoming :D

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#69 » Apr 27 2017 11:52

It's more than just Hit and Run too, it's a purely voluntary disengage. Tarpits are a thing of the past, and an officially dead tactic. I am already rolling dozens of strategies to use with this, both as Tau, AM, and Nids.

Gotta be careful not to give the other player too much advantage on the charge though.

lucasbuck
Shas

Post#70 » Apr 27 2017 11:58

no more riptide tar-pitted indeed!
not only selective move away, sure i sacrifice shooting, but we can nova and 4d6 jet in assault! (if thats still in!)

love it

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#71 » Apr 27 2017 12:02

QimRas wrote:It's more than just Hit and Run too, it's a purely voluntary disengage. Tarpits are a thing of the past, and an officially dead tactic. I am already rolling dozens of strategies to use with this, both as Tau, AM, and Nids.

Gotta be careful not to give the other player too much advantage on the charge though.

In some ways it's better than Hit&Run and in some ways it's worse.
The good thing about Hit&Run was that you could still run/shoot/charge if you did it right. The bad thing about it was that it was pretty unreliable without a high initiative stat.

I hope Vespid will get some special rule that allows them to still shoot after disengaging. Actually I have really high hopes that Vespid might become good in 8th so I don't have to feel bad about using my conversions. :D

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#72 » Apr 27 2017 12:10

Kroot and Breachers mmmm going to be so good now.

Return to “General Discussion”