The run to 8th edition

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: The run to 8th edition

Post#661 » May 19 2017 09:41

I think tht=at GW will probably nerf us. I mean, we ARE one of the most OPAF races in the 40k universe. So it's incredible that they haven't hit us with the nerf bat just yet. I think that our Battlesuits (especially the stealthsuit units). But putting nerfing aside, I think it's safe to say that with the current imperial dating system at the year 999 of the 41st millennium, we might see the 42nd millennium in 8th edition. As well as this, we also might see buffing of our burst cannons, infantry weapons and drone units. Also, I have a uncle whose best friend works for GW, and he says his friend hinted that GW is going to give us new battle brothers. Proper ones....
For the Tau'va ATT!!!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#662 » May 20 2017 03:56

Vio'ra Mal'caor wrote:Also, I have a uncle whose best friend works for GW, and he says his friend hinted that GW is going to give us new battle brothers. Proper ones....

I'd be careful with second hand news, even if from supposed GW staff. Its all rumour until confirmed by GW themselves, although I would really love to see some close allies for the Tau.
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#663 » May 20 2017 04:18

On another forum I tripped over a T'au tactic topic where people were more ranting than discussing.
"Fighting one dimensionally Armies like Tau".
While on normal circumstances I wouldn't even click that link I was curious what not T'au players would say so close to the release of the 8th edition.
Many things made me think.

T'au are shooty. Fact. No discussion here needed.
But even with all our toys and different loadouts on suits our tactic is mostly the same:
Shoot to ashes before we get slaughtered in hand to hand combat.
As our psychic and combat phase are nearly non-existent and even movement doesn't happen that much (I am looking at you, gunforts!) it's clear what GW had to do for the 8th.

Yes, our shooting might get nerfed (slightly) but it can be a great trade if we, as T'au players, get more versatility. Mobility, something "meleey" and just a little bit less black-and-white for T'au.
Wouldn't it be great if we could again be more than list-writing human dice-tower? ^^

And to the employees rumors: Often they don't know more than us and are guessing too.
A year ago i got told about plastic sisters and he said "they look great". I was thinking of carrying that into the internet. I didn't.
2 months later the plastic sisters rumours started.
Now I am happy I didn't say anything as they were Sisters of Silence for 30k.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#664 » May 20 2017 04:31

Yeah gunline Tau are sure one of the most boring things to play and play against. Just after invincible deathstars. Hence why I concentrate on Stealth Suits, Ghostkeel, Breacher and Pathfinder with some Crisis and Broadsides sprinkled in.

And to the GW staff rumour from a friend (etc.) ... yes indeed almost none of them know anything we don't know unless it's about their business plan which we would see within a few weeks ourselves anyway. In fact people who are active in forums often know more because they know where to find rumours and which to believe and which not.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#665 » May 20 2017 06:48

I do'nt expect many nerfs. Seems to me they're uplifting the bad armies from today (like orks or AM) than curring fat from the already good ones. They even mentioned that Grav weapons are basically the same (the pistol now costs 7p!), while the toehr stuff are now better.
Crisis can now fire 3 weapons and shoot after leaving combat! This is quite the buff. Of course, JSJ may go in the way of the dodo, but other armies will suffer with that too (necrons and eldar/corsairs, mostly)

knute
Shas'Saal

Post#666 » May 20 2017 07:21

As far as nerfs go, they kinda already did that by taking away formations. Triptide Wing, OSC, Piranha Firestream, Drone Net, pre-FAQ Hunter Cadre, that's the stuff that made us super cheesy. Take that away and I think​ we're average.

One thing I'd love to see is Tau armor that's worth fielding. Based on the profile for the Leman Russ main cannon, I think we can safely anticipate that the heavy rail cannon on a Hammerhead will be d6 damage and a single shot, with AP -4. That still feels a little underpowered compared to the LR though, what with it's d6 hits and d3 wounds. I think they'll probably give it the melta half range rule to boost it. I'm also interested in seeing how our armor compares to other factions. I always thought that we were sort of a halfway faction between IG and Eldar, in that our vehicles could move and shoot, but not move too fast. I'm thinking our vehicles will all be able to move and shoot heavy weapons without any negative modifiers, and our performance will hold up better after being damaged.

In any event, I'm super stoked for 8th.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#667 » May 20 2017 07:35

Not just by taking away formations.
The whole shooting got nerfed a good bit just by changing the core rules. That's all that's need to tone Tau down, really. ;)

Pyropower
Shas'Saal

Post#668 » May 20 2017 09:20

On another forum that I recently gave up on because of a lot of toxic users there was outrage after the faction focus Tau.
Most of the commenters had decided just from that 8th was going to be unbalanced and Tau were going to rule over all.
A few tried defending it but so many people have built up a serious dislike for the army that they wont accept anything different.
I hope the army gets balanced out better and looks to reward players that wont just play gunline. I have only recently gained an interest in Tau but in my short time reading the fluff we really need more bonuses aimed towards mobility, sharp hit and runs, stealthy ambushes. All things to make the game a lot more interesting than a wall of death firing at you

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#669 » May 20 2017 09:33

Pyropower wrote:On another forum that I recently gave up on because of a lot of toxic users there was outrage after the faction focus Tau.
Most of the commenters had decided just from that 8th was going to be unbalanced and Tau were going to rule over all.
A few tried defending it but so many people have built up a serious dislike for the army that they wont accept anything different.
I hope the army gets balanced out better and looks to reward players that wont just play gunline. I have only recently gained an interest in Tau but in my short time reading the fluff we really need more bonuses aimed towards mobility, sharp hit and runs, stealthy ambushes. All things to make the game a lot more interesting than a wall of death firing at you

There are a handful of people who are all doom&gloom about every single bit of information we get each day and the discussions they cause with their whining goes on for several pages every time. :D

Edited. - Tael - Lets leave it a generic forum place ;)

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#670 » May 20 2017 09:35

As maligned as our codex was by Tau players in the 5th edition, our 4th edition codex had a lot of mobility in it. Unfortunately the options that made our tanks good were removed or nerfed when the 6th edition codex came about.

The most devastating blow to mobile Tau was Supporting Fire. This rule encouraged bunching up with huge gunlines to the point that GW had to design a defense wall that moved so that Tau firewarriors might actually advance in game.

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#671 » May 20 2017 09:57

Pyropower wrote:On another forum that I recently gave up on because of a lot of toxic users there was outrage after the faction focus Tau.

Some people are just salty. I got grief after one game because of the supposedly OP nature of my Kroot & Vespid all getting Infiltrate. You know people have lost the plot when they are complaining about your Vespid spam as being OP :-(

The one recent tidbit I really noticed was how mobile that Necron vehicle was. I suspect and hope that is carried across to the Tau vehicles as that would make our tanks a lot more viable.

[edit] Possible hint from Reece on the podcast that the Fly keyword applies to quite a bit more than just Crisis suits, he has to be careful what he says as GW want to control the pace of release of info but I would take that hint that a lot of skimmer tanks will also have it.

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#672 » May 20 2017 11:07

Mobile, quick striking, ambushing Tau. That sounds absolutely fantastic.
Although we can only hope...
Being that Tau have some real high tech skimmers I'd believe that our vehicles would be faster than currently in 7th.

And I would absolutely love to trade our static gunline powerful shooty technique for having more versatility in combat.

Jeez I just can't wait. To see the new models and see the final rule sheets.
I'm so excited that I'm getting anxious.
Cheers!
Nix

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#673 » May 20 2017 11:36

To be fair, a rather static gunline that just obliterates the enemy with superior dakka is not exactly unfluffy for Tau. It's just not very fun to play or play against imo.

knute
Shas'Saal

Post#674 » May 20 2017 11:40

Jefffar wrote:As maligned as our codex was by Tau players in the 5th edition, our 4th edition codex had a lot of mobility in it. Unfortunately the options that made our tanks good were removed or nerfed when the 6th edition codex came about.

The most devastating blow to mobile Tau was Supporting Fire. This rule encouraged bunching up with huge gunlines to the point that GW had to design a defense wall that moved so that Tau firewarriors might actually advance in game.

That's the reason I got out at 6th edition. They turned Tau into a gunline army and nerfed any reason to take tanks by getting rid of our ability to shoot like fast and taking away our mobile 4+ cover save. I actually liked our 4th edition codex better than 6th.

Pyropower
Shas'Saal

Post#675 » May 20 2017 12:02

Stronghold Assault today
https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-4/

Not the most interesting of posts but could be a fun narrative match to play.
More importantly transports tomorrow which I can't wait to read :D
As someone who has decided to start learning Tau to play a Mechanised Infantry Army, this post will define whether I get pounded every match or not.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#676 » May 20 2017 12:19

That will show if my super aggressive Breacher-Fish "formation" will be playable or not :D

And, Panzer, I too like to play with Ghosts, Pathfinders and Broadsides and yes, even with an Ethereal.
I only had a Riptide on the table because I felt like our Codex made me to have it there.
Oh my, I want it now T_T

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#677 » May 20 2017 12:50

Ricordis wrote:That will show if my super aggressive Breacher-Fish "formation" will be playable or not :D

Ricordis, I would really love to hear your 7th ed (and after some time when 8th edition drops) breacher-fish experiences on the table.
I am mainly aiming to build my first Tau army infantry heavy and just relying on the Crisis suits when it comes to heavy weaponry.
Would you kindly guide me? Where would I be able to learn more about this kind of play style and read the "to-do and not to-do" ?
I am really intrigued by the breacher teams and would love to adapt them into my future play style but I am currently unsure if it is wise to invest into such models.
Thank you.
Cheers!
Nix

BillyBones
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#678 » May 20 2017 01:42

nix0n wrote:
Ricordis wrote:That will show if my super aggressive Breacher-Fish "formation" will be playable or not :D

Ricordis, I would really love to hear your 7th ed (and after some time when 8th edition drops) breacher-fish experiences on the table.
I am mainly aiming to build my first Tau army infantry heavy and just relying on the Crisis suits when it comes to heavy weaponry.
Would you kindly guide me? Where would I be able to learn more about this kind of play style and read the "to-do and not to-do" ?
I am really intrigued by the breacher teams and would love to adapt them into my future play style but I am currently unsure if it is wise to invest into such models.
Thank you.

I would suggest that this effort would be pointless at this moment, the new edition should bring so many changes, that all current play styles will change drastically and we have yet to see how it all will work out. If you want to invest in some new models I suggest that you should buy two of the starter sets and one or two of the of the Optimised pathfinder team. Those are great value and you should be use all of it in the nex ed quite well.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/St ... Tau-Empire
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Ta ... inder-Team

Return to “General Discussion”