Reliable Tau rumours from Lady Atia.

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Jacket
Shas'Saal

Reliable Tau rumours from Lady Atia.

Post#1 » May 14 2017 06:19

Source is war for sigmar blog. On dakka rumor tracker his accuracy is 100% so good odds this is happening. I think this sounds like either auxiliaries or more likely an allied race release. Finally we're going to get some battle brothers. Now I think the prime contender is the Demiurge. Anyone else have any ideas? Or it could be a completely new race. Kroot are another strong candidate.

Lady Atia "Let's say so much - you will be getting some new tau stuff that's not directly part of the t'au empire "

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Reliable Tau rumours from Lady Atia.

Post#2 » May 14 2017 07:25

Where does the new Demiurg hype come from?
They might be important story-wise as they are travelling nomadic merchants and miners offering ressources, technology and spaceships to T'au but I don't see them having any pertinece on the table.
They are our non fighting space dwarves.

- More different Kroots (heck, they become what they eat. Shapers control their menu.)
- New Vespids, maybe a vehicle (something that's not a suit)
- Gue'vesa. I dislike this the most as I can't think of a role for them. T'au take auxiliaries for purposes their own doctrines can't handle. But for these there are already Kroots, Galgs and any other mercenary race. Anything Humans can do T'au are better at it or it contradicts the Tau'va.
T'au don't entrench. They fall back and then mont'ka all over you :D
- Nicassar...I am split...fluff would forbid this as T'au do actually hide these extremely formidable psykers. They are needed as navigators and who knows what happens if the Imperium would know they exist. But they would be great psykers on the table as they are fragile, slow and the only real race in the Empire with psykers.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » May 14 2017 07:47

Given the context of the comment the release is likely a mini-style army considering he was answering someone asking about age of sigmar style sub-factions for 40k. He was making up stuff when Atia chimed in with that hint.

So I think whatever this release is it will be a coherent theme to it. So no mixed Tau auxiliary race for example. The only two things I can think of that are interesting enough is the Demiurg and Kroot. I could see maybe a model or two for Vespid in the future, but not enough for a mini-army release.

As for the Demiurg I want to see their cool treaded drone stuff they allegedly use. I think they use treads instead of anti-grav and they also use drones. Imagine the cool beefy drone tanks (that are actually large) they could bring in as allies and Auxiliaries. They also likely have other styles of weaponry than Ion and are allegedly in dealings with a an Empire of xenos to the north of the Tau (very far away) that incorporate other xenos into their empire. Sort of an anti-Tau. Center piece kit is a small mining war rig they modified for war. A huge slab of a flying/hovering unit bristling with mining weaponry and war weaponry. A huge hull with iron crushing jaws on the bottom repurposed to crush the enemy from above and process them. With their troops being great at melee we could finally have elite dedicated auxiliaries melee troops as opposed to just the basic troops of the Kroot.

The Kharadron Overlords has me confident they can do the merchant/mercenary thing really well. The models are top notch. I would like to see such creativity turned to truly making the Demiurg a unique xenos army or at least a cool auxiliaries force for Tau. The main draw would be the big tanks and mining themes. Infantry wise I imagine them using some sort of power armor with all sorts of drill on it.

Kroot could also be interesting as they could easily go in any number of directions.

Edit
The Battlefleet gothic trailer also inspired me to wanting to see Demiurg. The cool russian style deep voice they had in the trailer was badass. Then the Kharadron Overlords nailed down the fluff they need to be. Now merge the two together and offer a unique visual style and you have one hell of a take on space dwarves that are more interesting than lame squats (sorry guys).

Subexarch
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » May 14 2017 08:13

Makes me think of the old Kroot mercenary list. That had cavalry and winged Kroot in it so it wouldn't be just a "recut of the existing box plus bits" release. But they could redo the Kroot box to cover the flying ones and the basic infantry and do a new box for the cavalry. I only suggest this because the rules are already out there. Different edition, but the groundwork is laid. :crafty:
Don't worry about that. All bleeding stops eventually.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » May 14 2017 08:22

An updated Kroot line would be cool as well. If it's not an existing race what would people like to see as an allied race to the Tau?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » May 14 2017 10:53

Jacket wrote: On dakka rumor tracker his accuracy is 100% so good odds this is happening.

Believe it or not, it's actually a her. :D

I don't think we'll get Battle Brothers. "Just" a new auxiliary race. Which is awesome itself already.
Demiurg are possible and would be cool, but so would be Nicassar, or simply more Kroot or Vespid stuff (god new Vespid models would be SO good!).

If it's a completely new race I'd love to see Exodites as Tau auxiliarly race to be honest.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » May 14 2017 11:40

Panzer wrote:
Jacket wrote: On dakka rumor tracker his accuracy is 100% so good odds this is happening.

Believe it or not, it's actually a her. :D

I don't think we'll get Battle Brothers. "Just" a new auxiliary race. Which is awesome itself already.
Demiurg are possible and would be cool, but so would be Nicassar, or simply more Kroot or Vespid stuff (god new Vespid models would be SO good!).

If it's a completely new race I'd love to see Exodites as Tau auxiliarly race to be honest.

I figured, but someone swore she was a dude. So I wasn't sure lol.

I had a cool idea for a Vespid model release. Drones. Half the size of Vespid and the statline of grots. They stand no chance, but they swarm across the land and over targets. Due to their expendable nature (can't even breed with the queens) they're chief combat ability is to grab onto larger enemies and vibrate at speeds high enough to kill the invaders by heating them up. Make up some lore that with the Tau expanding the Vespid got several new worlds given to them that were suitable for their people and hence the greater commitment of force. Also we've seen the bog standard guys. I would like to see their actual larger warrior caste as well. The larger drones would have a potent poisonous stinger they use in melee and prefer melee combat. While not the strongest they are incredibly tough and durable with a T4.

Sadly we almost certainly aren't getting Vespid. It would be the most out of left field choice they could do of the known auxiliaries.

Edit
There were rumors way back in 2016 from Atia they were considering exodites but nothing was final. They want to do them, but so far more important stuff on the block. So I doubt Exodites will happen this year or next. Then again who knows. So it will happen "someday". I don't think they would be Tau Auxiliaries though, but I would enjoy that. I mean they hate their own kind and with Ynari coming back you would think some of them would side against the old ways basically coming right back in their face. It's everything they stand against.

Edit
After the auxiliary wave is over but next Tau update (way in the future) I would like to see GW do a flyer/vehicle/drone wave for Tau. Just to give us some visual variety in that department. How long can GW resist making a new battlesuit though. That is the question hahaha. If they make a Kroot battlesuit we know the answer is never guys.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » May 15 2017 12:26

I'm not sure the Kroot would want to wear a battlesuit, as using one would spoil the point of seeking better DNA. If you can just outsource the muscles to a machine, what's the point of improving them?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » May 15 2017 01:57

Jacket wrote:Edit
There were rumors way back in 2016 from Atia they were considering exodites but nothing was final. They want to do them, but so far more important stuff on the block. So I doubt Exodites will happen this year or next. Then again who knows. So it will happen "someday". I don't think they would be Tau Auxiliaries though, but I would enjoy that. I mean they hate their own kind and with Ynari coming back you would think some of them would side against the old ways basically coming right back in their face. It's everything they stand against.

Well I doubt we'd get that new ally with launch of 8th and whether Tau will get anything that soon is not save to say either so it could very well be Exodites after all. ;)

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » May 15 2017 02:43

you will be getting some new tau stuff that's not directly part of the t'au empire

Since they started the story with the disappeared 4th expansion sphere fleet, it smells to me like some new Tau enclave on the other side of the warp rift. Maybe with psychic powers :eek:

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » May 15 2017 02:49

Kroot are mercenaries. It could be it's a more "neutral" faction open to be taken by anyone.
There's no Ally-Matrix in 8th iirc.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#12 » May 15 2017 03:00

Well I for one, welcome any new auxiliaries to the Tau cause. I'm kinda tired converting up models left and right. :D

Just watch we don't wander into wishlisting up units, stick to the content ..even if it is, well .. a rumour so far ;)

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » May 15 2017 04:06

But I have a massive Farsight Enclaves army.... why would they make me start another. :( hahah So cruel. I think they might want an army that could be taken by any of them first hence why I think it's most likely an auxiliary they signed on with just before the 4th got all crazy lost. That seems to be the best way to do it to me so no Tau player is closed off from taking new stuff.

If it is the Tau Colony State of the 4th then it will be kinda disappointing since I can't lore wise add them into my army and would have little justification to actually buy them given how busy my schedule is. I would need to think of it as an entirely separate army.

Then again it would also be the most new out of all these ideas. I still think it's unlikely but not impossible. If they were going to do new stuff for Tau 4th just say they built it before they left so they can all get the new goodies.

If the new faction is so different like chaos tau then yeah whatever they are basically an entire new force at that point so I can justify them as an opposition force.

Edit
I think GW themselves have said the rest of the year will be rounding up the IoM/Chaos releases after 8th or heavily implied it. So likely we'll be part of xenos wave next year with everyone else. Other less reliable rumors as I mentioned in another thread have said Nids and Orks up first for new stuff. If I was a betting man I would say this order of xenos next year.

Orks > Nids > Necrons > Tau

Put the mandatory IoM/Chaos release in there somewhere. Probably something for the nu-marines.

If the next big update is mid to late next year for us then it gives me plenty of time to paint up my Kharadron/Beastclaw Raiders + whatever random Tau I buy with my big bulk order.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » May 15 2017 04:27

I really don't think it will be a FSE 2.0 lol

That would be like telling Space Marine player "hey you'll get something new non-Imperium for your army......Space Marines in slightly brighter blue!" :roll:

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » May 15 2017 04:33

Studio mentioned it on the last page. It seemed so unlikely and confusing. If they do another third Tau faction it would have to be something extremely different. The only thing I could see is dark tau or chaos tau or something. Easily done if you say a small part of the 4th never made it home but got even more lost and somehow survived. It would defo need to be a ground up new army though with perhaps deamon corrupted crisis suits and one or two other things as hold overs. Everything they have would be extremely worn down if they weren't chaos corrupted or even if they were. This warpness also allows them to use warp travel and actually be around the universe.

This also allows for the bulk of the 4th to still be used for any future plotlines or even their own sub-faction if GW feels they can truly make a unique enough army out of it. I just feel this is super unlikely since it would mean supporting two Tau lines possibly three if they ever decide to give the FSE a unique model.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » May 15 2017 04:43

Chaos Tau would be the last thing I'd want to see. Chaos is the human thing, we don't need a chaos version of every race out there. Or else we'd get chaos Nids, chaos Crons and chaos Orks (again) next >_>

If they are really going to do more with the 4th than just letting them appear to save the day, then I'd like to see them doing a Star Trek: Voyager. Finding some race far away from home, befriending them, getting their help at finding their way home again. Which would be an easy way for GW to introduce a new race as ally for the Tau and open the option for some FTL travel.
Exodites with their theoretical access to the webway would be a great candidate for that but it could be done with any other new race they might come up with as well.

Also, even if i might be a bit too focussed at the Exodites, it would really fit.
As far as we know, the Exodites decided to leave the rest of their race because they realised what they were doing was dooming their entire race. Namely living in excess and fiddling too much around with psychic stuff while doing so.
Imagine now the Tau contact them and tell them about the T'au Empire. An Empire void of any psycher and excess. Devoted to conquer the universe to bring peace (their understanding of it at least). On top of that it's a rather new race so compared to the race of the Eldar they actually have a future.
I really can see Exodites deciding to support the T'au Empire since they propose a possible civilisation void of everything they thought was bad about their own old civilisation.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » May 15 2017 05:03

Yeah it does make a lot of sense actually. If I had to choose between chaos Tau or exodites it's exodites. Still I would even more want to see a different new race fill that role. 40k really needs an interesting new alien and not a spin off of a Eldar right now.I still would visually prefer Demiurge more. If it is Exodites I'll still be happy though since it does make so much sense and they are cool.

My order of preference. New Xenos > Demiurge > Exodites > Kroot. You did sell me on placing them above Kroot though. I find it unlikely though since GW is trying to do consolidate races right now into Grand Alliances in both lore and rules. Then again maybe the Exodite join and it prompts the Ynari and Craftworkds to possibly ally with them on occasion and give them more of a lore reason to ally occasionally.

Anyways enough speculation from me. More 8th stuff soon lol.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » May 15 2017 05:47

Thanks to Keywords it wouldn't be a problem. They could have the faction keywords: Eldar, T'au Empire, Exodites. That way they could be played in both, Eldar and Tau, armies the same.

Return to “General Discussion”