Can I still play an All Suits list in 8th?

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
thesnailmaster
Shas'Saal

Re: Can I still play an All Suits list in 8th?

Post#19 » Jun 08 2017 08:22

I'm also enjoying 6 plasma, 2 shields, 1 DC and 6 gun drones, our plasma may no longer be the best, but its cheap, -3 AP means you don't need to worry about cover that much and the shields help keep the squad alive to fall back and keep shooting.

T5 is actually a good defence against multi wound weapons too, since it hovers around the S 7-8 mark and only wounds them on 3's

Barrett Hiebert
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Jun 10 2017 07:20

Does anyone know if there will be rules for XV9's to compliment my XV8's? in 8th edition?

thesnailmaster
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Jun 10 2017 07:22

Yeah they have a FW index for Xeno's due out some time after release, SM and CSM are released on the 17th

Barrett Hiebert
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Jun 12 2017 10:12

Awesome. Happy to hear that.

Does anyone think a competitive list could be made out of XV8's, Xv9's and Stealth Suits?

Have the stealth suits infiltrate with homing beacons to provide direct fire onto enemy and timely deep strike maneuvers from the XV8's and 9's?

Or is it true that in 8th edition there is no scatter die for deep strike and they automatically arrive?

B.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#23 » Jun 13 2017 01:41

No scatter for deepstrike. They arrive when and where you want within the context of the ruling on the unit's data sheet. They must come down by turn 3 though or else they are considered lost.

What I saw that is REALLY cheeky is Stealthsuits, Ghostkeels and Shadowsun (perhaps others?) have the infiltrate special rule. It says you can deploy them during deployment and anywhere on the battlefield that is not within your opponent's deployment zone and is more than 12'' from any enemy unit. Follow with me here.

This means that if you go first for deployment you can set up either of those units right on the cusp of your opponent's deployment zone. They haven't set any units down yet, and you're not in their deployment zone. You could do this to "sour" deployment areas, especially if you get to go first (you go first if you deploy everything before your opponent).

Of course the risk to your troops is great - if your opponent seizes, or if you do not go first they are as good as dead. Still, if you can pull it off you can get some nice alpha shooting going. Heck, you could even use it as a delaying tactic. Perhaps shoot up a unit, then charge them since you're right in their face. Get a round of combat with them, then fly out of combat to get another turn of shooting, etc.

Either way, sounds fun.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

thesnailmaster
Shas'Saal

Post#24 » Jun 13 2017 08:13

AnonAmbientLight wrote:
What I saw that is REALLY cheeky is Stealthsuits, Ghostkeels and Shadowsun (perhaps others?) have the infiltrate special rule. It says you can deploy them during deployment and anywhere on the battlefield that is not within your opponent's deployment zone and is more than 12'' from any enemy unit. Follow with me here.

This means that if you go first for deployment you can set up either of those units right on the cusp of your opponent's deployment zone. They haven't set any units down yet, and you're not in their deployment zone. You could do this to "sour" deployment areas, especially if you get to go first (you go first if you deploy everything before your opponent).

Of course the risk to your troops is great - if your opponent seizes, or if you do not go first they are as good as dead. Still, if you can pull it off you can get some nice alpha shooting going. Heck, you could even use it as a delaying tactic. Perhaps shoot up a unit, then charge them since you're right in their face. Get a round of combat with them, then fly out of combat to get another turn of shooting, etc.

Either way, sounds fun.

For the Ghost it can be worth it, I used that in my first practice game, it also means Tau can get some early charges off (I know, it sounds insane but please bare with me) and tie up any heavy weapon squads or tanks for a turn, so long as they can't just fall back and shoot.

While I was initially dismayed at what happened to all the suits, the more I think about it they can survive a lot more than before and I will happily keep playing FSE style.

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#25 » Jun 13 2017 08:30

And, add to that the homing beacon on stealth suits and you can get your deep strikers that much closer if need be.

Czar Ziggy

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#26 » Jun 13 2017 08:45

Barrett Hiebert wrote:Does anyone know if there will be rules for XV9's to compliment my XV8's? in 8th edition?

certainly. xv9s will get updated datasheet in index xenos by fw

Proiteus
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#27 » Jun 25 2017 04:54

What about other wargear? The one that adds a further -1 to ap could be devastating on the right weapons! Like say boosting the 16 shots from a missileside! :evil:

I'm interested to see some list examples and hear of actual experience using an all battlesuit army in 8th?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#28 » Jun 25 2017 06:35

Vector Strike wrote:certainly. xv9s will get updated datasheet in index xenos by fw

Barrett Hiebert wrote:Does anyone think a competitive list could be made out of XV8's, Xv9's and Stealth Suits?

Well, the XV9s are of course out, and while they're beautiful models the rules are lackluster. The Fusion Cascade is still weaker than a 4x Fusion Commander (and nearly as expensive), the Pulse Submunition Rifle and Phased Ion Guns are surprisingly weak for Tau weapons, so of course the Burst Cannon is the only good weapon... and we all already have enough S5 spam. In terms of points per S5 shot, the XV9 puts out more S5 firepower than any other battlesuit, and more S5 firepower than almost any other Tau unit. If you want "infantry" battlesuits for regular Pulse firepower, the XV9 is your guy.

If you bring XV9s, then Stealthsuits would lack a role (kind of) so I'd do Commanders, XV8s, and XV9s as an all-suit list.

Return to “General Discussion”