8th Edition - Tidewall Fortifications

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Re: 8th Edition - Tidewall Fortifications

Post#19 » Jun 28 2017 01:28

Correct that the units aren't on the field anymore but their shooting still takes place so the open topped special rule is what triggers the inside units getting the benefit in theory if they do in fact rule that volleyfire is a modifier. Normally the case is since they aren't doing anything on the battlefield, they can neither gain buff nor hand them out but since the models inside do still get to fire I think the open topped rule allows this to confer.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#20 » Jun 28 2017 01:37

Nah, I really disagree with that interpretation.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Jun 28 2017 02:02

Either way, it needs clarified IMO.

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#22 » Jun 28 2017 02:06

Panzer wrote:Nah, I really disagree with that interpretation.

Clearly :D

Looking at the wording I would struggle to claim that negative modifiers like the Harlequin Fog of Dreams would not apply to the passengers so I see no justification for positive modifiers to not also work. This is pretty niche as most of our buffs are re-rolls and those are clearly treated differently to modifiers in the rules so should not apply.

Might get an FAQ one day, not likely to have much impact either way when or if it does.

Kilazar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#23 » Jun 28 2017 03:24

Panzer wrote:Even if it weren't. It's a special rule coming from a Character so it neither works while he is embarked nor does it work for an embarked unit if he isn't. It's really no rocket science.

I agree it won't work if he is embarked. However it should work if he is outside of it. Per the wording in the fireblade of "affects unit" and the tidewall being a unit the tidewall is affected. Then add in the open top rule that states the embarked passengers are affected by whatever affects the tidewall.

This also works against us, as tidewall could be the target of the Horror psychic power. And that would spill over to the embarked unit.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#24 » Jun 28 2017 03:35

Yeah unfortunately it would spill over but I honestly believe this is the intent of the rules since open topped is meant to allow the models in an open air transport to do things and act normal just be better protected from incoming fire.

Kilazar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#25 » Jun 28 2017 03:38

I honestly don't think it will get a FAQ as the wording is pretty clear. Unless you want to be pedantic and argue that Volley Fire is not a modifier even though there is precedent for falling back being a modifier directly in the Open Top example.

This is the problem I see with their whole key word system.

I've provided both the Volley fire rule and the tidewall to my group without providing any context, and asked them how the rules interact. And so fare each person has come back the same. Should work fine as long as the fireblade is not also embarked on a transport or the same firewall. As then he is not outputting his aura.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#26 » Jun 28 2017 03:44

Kilazar wrote:This is the problem I see with their whole key word system.

That really has nothing to do with keywords at all. It would be the same if the rule would specifically mention Strike Teams and Pathfinder.

Kilazar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#27 » Jun 29 2017 11:39

Panzer wrote:
Kilazar wrote:This is the problem I see with their whole key word system.

That really has nothing to do with keywords at all. It would be the same if the rule would specifically mention Strike Teams and Pathfinder.

Yeah that is fair.

Koiju
Shas

Post#28 » Jul 03 2017 06:18

I agree with Kilazar, and my friends also all came to the same conclusion, works fine as long as the fireblade isnt embarked.

as another explination, whats actually happening is the fireblade buffs the tidewall to gives the tidewall +1 shots with all of the mentioned weapons, when the embarked unit fires, it basicly fires as if it were the tidewall (though they use their own stats), and thus the models embarked get the benifit of +1 shots. (hence why they can fire from any point fo the tidewall model, and inherite all modifiers from it)

Xanrag
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#29 » Jul 03 2017 10:03

AnonAmbientLight wrote:My friends and I also interpret the passengers being able to fire overwatch and of course supporting fire while inside the transport, so they have become quite useful-

Owerwatch has been definitely nerfed in the latest FAQ, and I don't think Supporting Fire can be used since techincally the squad isn't on the table and the Shieldwall itself doesn't have the rule?

Q. If I charge a transport that has the Open-topped ability, can units that are embarked inside also fire Overwatch at the charging unit?
A. No.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#30 » Jul 05 2017 02:33

Good catch.

A minor problem. The embarked models can still hope out and shoot at the models that are locked in combat with your shieldwall.

The tidewall fortification rules are just weird.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Wedrujacy
Shas'Saal

Post#31 » Aug 08 2017 02:50

Ok, I'm confused here.
To buff drones attached to droneport you need to "activate" them. But does activation include "detaching"?

I do not think so, but what is your/official interpretation?

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#32 » Aug 08 2017 02:53

Wedrujacy wrote:Ok, I'm confused here.
To buff drones attached to droneport you need to "activate" them. But does activation include "detaching"?

I do not think so, but what is your/official interpretation?

If there is a
friendly T’AU EMPIRE INFANTRY unit embarked
on the Droneport at the beginning of your Movement
phase, you can take control of the Drones, which then
detach from the Droneport and act as a separate unit
that is part of your army. In addition, while a friendly
T’AU EMPIRE INFANTRY unit is embarked on the
Droneport, the Tactical Drones activated in this way can
use that unit’s Ballistic Skill instead of their own when
making shooting attacks.

This pretty clearly states that the Drones detach when getting activated by a T'au Empire Infantry unit.

Wedrujacy
Shas'Saal

Post#33 » Aug 08 2017 03:06

For me its not 100% clear as by sentence as its created didn't give me such feeling. But could be due to not native English.

So what you suggest next sequence has to be used:
A) drones attached
- drones shoot as they want with bs 5+ (independent who if any is embarked)
- drones are part of platform

B) drones detached this turn by inf unit embarked
- drones can shoot with embarked unit BS
- drones are seperate unit

C) drones detached in previous turn
- drones use own BS

Is that correct andofficial understanding?

Have you seen that one Time buff is enough beneficial to use droneport?

Return to “General Discussion”