Welcome to the T'au Empire, no longer Tau

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Welcome to the T'au Empire, no longer Tau

Post#1 » Jun 11 2017 10:34

GW website is now displaying Tau items with the spelling changed to T'au

We have been age of sigmarized and rebranded? :neutral:

R.D.
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Welcome to the T'au Empire, no longer Tau

Post#2 » Jun 11 2017 11:09

It's pronounced the same and T'au has been the homeworld since the beginning, so it at least makes some sense. Not really a big deal all things considered.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jun 11 2017 11:48

GW is trying to nail down their IP by putting airtight copyrights on their products.

A simple way to see this is by google searching the word "Tau" and the word "T'au". You'll see that T'au is a sort of unique spelling that is specific to the T'au Empire in 40K. Tau is a greek letter of the alphabet and numeral system. You can't really copyright "Tau".

This is why the Imperial Guard were changed to Astra Militarum. Imperial Guard is too vague a word.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Rizzle
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#4 » Jun 12 2017 01:24

It also means I get commuppence for gently teasing my friends playing Apollo ad Astra Militarum and Craeftworlde Aelderi, among others. The front runner is T'au E'mpi're, but T'Pau is close behind :D

Atzilla
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jun 12 2017 02:10

AnonAmbientLight wrote:Tau is a greek letter of the alphabet and numeral system. You can't really copyright "Tau".

It's also the german word for "dew" :D

AnonAmbientLight wrote:This is why the Imperial Guard were changed to Astra Militarum. Imperial Guard is too vague a word.

Also, Disney. GW should be careful with Imperials and Emperors in space...

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jun 12 2017 02:37

So... now that it's "T'au", we can freely use "Tau" tags for marketing our own designs, right? :D

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Jun 12 2017 06:49

I actually like these changes. The "old" name is simply the Low Gothic name for the army, what they're called by the regular citizens of the Imperium.

The "new" names are the names properly rendered in the faction's own language! I doubt the Dark Eldar call themselves the "Dark Eldar," rather in their own language it's "Drukhari." The Empire that comes from the planet T'au is thus called the "T'au Empire," but the nuance of that apostrophe is lost on the Imperium's Low Gothic, so it just becomes Tau. The Imperium's official language, High Gothic, is what creates the absurd names like Astra Militarum and Adeptus Astartes, but really everyone just calls them the Imperial Guard and Space Marines in Low Gothic.

Anyway, this is why I propose the Tyranids should be renamed "chchchchchichi-skreeeeeeee"

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jun 12 2017 11:58

Atzilla wrote:
AnonAmbientLight wrote:Tau is a greek letter of the alphabet and numeral system. You can't really copyright "Tau".

It's also the german word for "dew" :D

AnonAmbientLight wrote:This is why the Imperial Guard were changed to Astra Militarum. Imperial Guard is too vague a word.

Also, Disney. GW should be careful with Imperials and Emperors in space...

Disney is cut throat when it comes to IPs. I don't know if they could really argue that space imperial and space emperor is something that is copyright protected. It's still to vague of a term.

GW has narrowed down exactly what the IP is by changing the name to something unique. In the case of T'au adding that ' is all that was needed I guess.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Ash87
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jun 15 2017 04:42

I know it's pronounced the same as before... But I still say T'Ow now, just reflexively.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Jun 15 2017 04:47

I'm gonna pronounce it similary how C'tan is pronounced. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHOtPxDPvKo#t=11s ) The T. Au.

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Jun 27 2017 06:53

It still sucks. The gap between the 'T' and the 'au' is very annoying. I like pronouncing it 'T-ou'. I'll just keep doing that, but the fact they messed with the name really pisses me off.
For the Tau'va ATT!!!

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Jun 27 2017 08:51

Okay I guess it's time for me to way in on this debate.

So here goes...

According to the lore as set in both the first codex - Codex: Tau and the second codex - Tau Empire, Sister Verity of the Ordos Dialogus created the first Gothic-Tau lexicon. She created the first alphabet substituting Gothic letters for the Tau letters. (Note that "F" and "V" are the actually the same sound in Tau'sia.) And she was the one who invented convention of separating the individual Tau words by the use of an apostrophe.

But Tau'sia has no punctuation marks: no apostrophes, commas, periods, question marks, or exclamation points.

Therefore the apostrophes don't mean anything, they're probably just put there to indicate to a reader of Gothic, that a single Tau word is made up of separate individual Tau words.

So either way you spell it "T'au" or "Tau" is still said "Tao".

Gav Thorpe mentions in article from his website Origins of the Tau that the original spelling was going to be "Tao".

Let's us not tie ourselves in knots because Games Workshop wants to fiddle with their intellectual property rights...again. :(

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Jun 27 2017 09:12

Vio'ra Mal'caor wrote:It still sucks. The gap between the 'T' and the 'au' is very annoying. I like pronouncing it 'T-ou'. I'll just keep doing that, but the fact they messed with the name really pisses me off.

The canon pronunciation rhymes with "wow" and "cow" though. Since when does "au" make an "ou" sound?

Peregrim
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » Jun 27 2017 10:45

Arka0415 wrote:The canon pronunciation rhymes with "wow" and "cow" though. Since when does "au" make an "ou" sound?

"ou" sometimes makes an "ow" sound (e.g. count, shout, flour), while "au" typically makes an "aw" sound (e.g. fraud, haunt, sauce). But Tau rhymes with bough, while dough rhymes with faux, and caught rhymes with ought -- so there really is terrible consistency between spelling and pronunciation.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Jun 27 2017 10:46

Ehm.... It's... a... Greek... letter....

Rizzle
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#16 » Jun 28 2017 12:09

Gragagrogog wrote:Ehm.... It's... a... Greek... letter....

And also an ancient Greek letter ;)

Tor-rhymes-with-core and Tau-rhymes-with-cow are valid ways of pronouncing the imported ancient Greek symbol τ/T in the English language. In modern Greek it's more like 'taf'.

I had a jovial quantum mechanics lecturer who insisted on referring to the symbol as 'tuff'. I have literally no idea what justification he used for that one.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Jun 28 2017 12:37

I just keep pronouncing it "Tao" because that's how au is pronounced in german. Whatever. :D

Anyway, I don't mind the change to T'au at all. It's still the same, just looks a bit different. However I'm slowly getting really annoyed that some people on the internet can't write even a single sentence/post/whatever with T'au in it without some eyerolling, trying to be funny by correcting themselves, saying how stupid it is etc.
Like, geez we know you don't like it but it is how it is and I honestly couldn't care less whether you like the added apostrophe or not. It's not like they changed the whole name or something. In the end of the day it's still Tao. :roll:

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » Jun 28 2017 04:09

Gragagrogog wrote:Ehm.... It's... a... Greek... letter....

True, it is. That has nothing to do with the Tau Empire though, or at least as far as I know. Out-of lore, the word Tau comes from the real word Tao (also spelled Dao), an Asian spiritual system that has five elements. Gav Thorpe mentioned the word Tao in his recent blog post, and there's now way that his Tao and the real Tao/Dao aren't connected, at least a little.

If it matters, here in Japan we write タウ which is pronounced like "ta-oo" (or taɯ in IPA). It didn't change with the T'au update.

Return to “General Discussion”