Fresh from Forge World - XV109 Y'vahra for 8th!

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Fresh from Forge World - XV109 Y'vahra for 8th!

Post#1 » Jun 12 2017 12:12

Spoiler!

It's in the warhammer community article.

It looks really good!
Last edited by Vector Strike on Jun 12 2017 12:28, edited 1 time in total.

relasine
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Fresh from Forge World - XV109 Y'vahra!

Post#2 » Jun 12 2017 12:22

If the cost/power level of the Riptide is anything to go by, we'll be looking at a cost of between 350-400 points for the Y'vahra. Do you think it'd stack up for that price tag?

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jun 12 2017 12:26

The overcharged IDC is outright brutal, seriously, who made that monstrous gun?

Points may turn this unplayable, especially with 20 power (that's somewhere between riptide and stormsurge), but god this thing hits like a truck. unless you are T10 (and so far nothing is), the NOVA IDC is going to break your face. morso if you happen to be a vehicle.

Too bad the other nova uses are so weak in comparison.

Though, I guess the escape thrust can be used if you got knocked down to low speed in order to get a shot you otherwise couldn't next turn. but its a last resort sort of thing.

Flechette coming back as a pistol is a nice way to do so. makes me wonder why its not an option for our vehicles.
Probably because our vehicle upgrades in general got dropped out of the index....

BillyBones
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jun 12 2017 12:32

Although the ionic discharge cannon without nova profile is lame. It should do at least d3 damage. But what I hate is that it's weapons are heavy. Has anyone seen heavy weapons with such short range? The true drawback is unability to use those after advance. I would also exgue that this kind of suit should va flat bonus to advance like the Coldstar.

The escape thrust it highly situational because you can bring the flamer bear afterwards. And you will never use nova baricade because you can alway fall back and shoot again.

The movement is superb, the flamer is also a killer in both profiles and ionic discharge on nova is also excelent.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Fresh from Forge World - XV109 Y'vahra for 8th!

Post#5 » Jun 12 2017 12:34

Am I right to assume that if a Y'vhara activates its nova ability, both weapons can be fire with their respective nova profiles?

Raverrn
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jun 12 2017 01:01

Vector Strike wrote:Am I right to assume that if a Y'vhara activates its nova ability, both weapons can be fire with their respective nova profiles?

It specifies a weapon, so probably not.

Mon'von
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jun 12 2017 01:10

I think it's left up to interpretation, it doesn't exclusively say how many weapons it affects upon use so I think that it should be agreed by both controller and opponent at the begging of each game weather it affects one or more weapons.
"Wyrd bið ful aræd" Fate remains inexorable

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jun 12 2017 01:15

The wording is pretty clear imo.
It states that you can use a weapons nova charge profile. Without any restriction on how many weapons.
If they wanted to restrict it to only one weapon they would have written "one weapon" instead of "a weapon". Or they could've made it even more clear and could've told you to pick one weapon the effect would apply to.

Bolter&Rail
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jun 12 2017 01:16

Vector Strike wrote:Am I right to assume that if a Y'vhara activates its nova ability, both weapons can be fire with their respective nova profiles?

I would assume so. The language doesn't really clarify, but I think it's safe to think it will. Maybe FW will clarify a bit.

I am afraid of his potential point cost but those weapons are deadly. Putting some 3++ drones nearby (if they can keep up) will make it much more survivable as well. The tricky thing is the IDC will need some serious ML support if you are firing at BS5+ or worse all game given its moving. I love the mobility vs the every other turn we had in 7th. Makes it a constant threat every turn its alive.

Bolter&Rail
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jun 12 2017 01:29

But without drones to be ablative wounds I think he may actually be too fragile. By turn 2 you are down to just 12 wounds and a couple lascannons alone with just a 5++ from range can drop him. Better stats than 7th with the same saves, but if he takes up ~400pts that is a lot dough for a handful of melta guns or lascannons to drop.

At least the riptides you can just 3++ all game and be pretty confident he will stick around.

That said his potential damage output justifies him being tested thoroughly in 8th. I think its worth paying up for this over a regular riptide likely. And heres to hoping the FW support systems put in a nice kicker as well...

Pyropower
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jun 12 2017 01:48

I would likely run some drones with him just for some spare wounds. Drones are cheap enough to buy him some

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Jun 12 2017 02:00

It has some significant limitations though. The max move is 18" now, down from 24". The flamer range got nerfed to 8",it was torrent 6", which could reach up to 14" before. This makes it much less likely to be within flamer range. If you use the escape ability, it's guaranteed loss of the flamer for a turn, it can't even use homing beacon... On the other hand, you can now shoot 2 different targets more liberaly and it will still destroy almost anything in a round of shooting... if you have some markerlights.

Peregrim
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Jun 12 2017 02:03

Gragagrogog wrote:It has some significant limitations though. The max move is 18" now, down from 24". The flamer range got nerfed to 8",it was torrent 6", which could reach up to 14" before. This makes it much less likely to be within flamer range. If you use the escape ability, it's guaranteed loss of the flamer for a turn, it can't even use homing beacon... On the other hand, you can now shoot 2 different targets more liberaly and it will still destroy almost anything in a round of shooting... if you have some markerlights.

I think since it re-enters the battlefield at the start of the next movement phase, you would then be able to move it into flamer range.

Actually, this isn't allowed due to the basic rules.
Last edited by Peregrim on Jun 13 2017 10:04, edited 1 time in total.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » Jun 12 2017 02:08

Aye, you're right! It's still brutal then :D

BillyBones
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Jun 12 2017 02:17

I haven't caugth it before, it is than really cool and since you active nova during movement, you can still turn the flamer on. With this you can chew a landrider and a group of termies at one go.

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#16 » Jun 12 2017 02:32

Peregrim wrote:
Gragagrogog wrote:It has some significant limitations though. The max move is 18" now, down from 24". The flamer range got nerfed to 8",it was torrent 6", which could reach up to 14" before. This makes it much less likely to be within flamer range. If you use the escape ability, it's guaranteed loss of the flamer for a turn, it can't even use homing beacon... On the other hand, you can now shoot 2 different targets more liberaly and it will still destroy almost anything in a round of shooting... if you have some markerlights.

I think since it re-enters the battlefield at the start of the next movement phase, you would then be able to move it into flamer range.

I think you are right. I suspect it is a mistake by the rules writers but as it stands that is well worth the Mortal Wound.

This thing is distilled Mont'ka and happily that rule works exceptionally well with its weapons - move 18+D6" and wreck a bunch of stuff. Drop in a crisis team with drones to tank all the wounds to keep it alive to wreck all over again.

Overall it is exactly what I want my expensive piece of FW resin to be - a really costly, powerful centerpiece for my army. My Y'Vahra is sitting on the shelf knowing that it's going to see some table time in the new edition :D

Komone
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Jun 12 2017 02:52

Also activating weapon Nova lasts until your next turn - so Overwatch is brutal too!

K

azlanpower
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Jun 12 2017 03:41

2 support system...so..
1. Target lock for mobility
2. Multitracker for ML-unsupported reroll 1s

Return to “General Discussion”