Fresh from Forge World - XV109 Y'vahra for 8th!

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Panzer
Shas'La

Re: Fresh from Forge World - XV109 Y'vahra for 8th!

Post#37 » Jun 13 2017 12:47

Yeah I don't really get why he would need that as escape tool still since he could just Fall Back with his 18" move anyway.

As said it's most likely FW not reading the rules for reserves carefully enough.

Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui

Post#38 » Jun 13 2017 04:55

Panzer wrote:
Unusualsuspect wrote:
BillyBones wrote:Well there are exceptions to not moving after arriving from reserves - genstealers cults can do it, and the Y'vahra's ability is somewhat different.

Does the genestealer cult exception have language explicitly allowing them to violate that basic tenet of Reserves?

That would explain how genestealer cults could move after arriving from reserves.

Lacking that language for the Y'vahra, however, and despite the undeniable fact that the Y'vahra's ability is "somewhat different" in form from typical reserves, I just don't see the Y'vahra granted permission to violate it.

Only result 5 and 6 have something in their description that allows them to advance(5) or move normally(6).

I'm with you that the Y'vahra can't move after coming back with his Escape move, however I also think that Forgeworld was intending to allow him to move or else it wouldn't make much sense to make him arrive at the beginning of the Movement Phase. Once again most likely poor rules reading by the FW design team.

Thanks for the clarifying language.

It's possible that it was just poor wording by Forgeworld (wouldn't be the first time, nor do i expect it to be the last), but I also think its possible they intended the Y'vahra to be able to access its Nova ability in the Movement phase in which it returns (and any other boosts that are available at or after "the beginning of" the Movement phase).

If the Y'vahra arrived at the end of the Movement phase per the normal rules for such arrivals that we've seen, it would arguably not be able to activate its Nova reactor that turn - having arrived at the end of the phase, it seems logically incongruous to slip in a last action while still in the Movement Phase.

While I'd rather it be the case that Forgeworld merely forgot to mention that the Y'vahra can move normally that turn (and with its movement, that would mean being able to hit just about anything anywhere on the table at any turn from turn 2 on), that strikes me as a very powerful ability.

It is also a rare tool for escape purposes, as you mentioned later... rare, but not meaningless. Several units in 8th have the ability to keep even Fly enemies entangled in CQC, and that's a place where the Y'vahra is undeniably wasted.

Perhaps I'm overthinking how potent a move-after-Deepstrike ability would be (especially for a unit with speed and firepower like the Y'vahra), and perhaps that's what makes it worth the near-certain Mortal Wound. Hard to say.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#39 » Jun 13 2017 11:07

Unusualsuspect wrote:
Panzer wrote:
Unusualsuspect wrote:
Does the genestealer cult exception have language explicitly allowing them to violate that basic tenet of Reserves?

That would explain how genestealer cults could move after arriving from reserves.

Lacking that language for the Y'vahra, however, and despite the undeniable fact that the Y'vahra's ability is "somewhat different" in form from typical reserves, I just don't see the Y'vahra granted permission to violate it.

Only result 5 and 6 have something in their description that allows them to advance(5) or move normally(6).

I'm with you that the Y'vahra can't move after coming back with his Escape move, however I also think that Forgeworld was intending to allow him to move or else it wouldn't make much sense to make him arrive at the beginning of the Movement Phase. Once again most likely poor rules reading by the FW design team.

Thanks for the clarifying language.

It's possible that it was just poor wording by Forgeworld (wouldn't be the first time, nor do i expect it to be the last), but I also think its possible they intended the Y'vahra to be able to access its Nova ability in the Movement phase in which it returns (and any other boosts that are available at or after "the beginning of" the Movement phase).

If the Y'vahra arrived at the end of the Movement phase per the normal rules for such arrivals that we've seen, it would arguably not be able to activate its Nova reactor that turn - having arrived at the end of the phase, it seems logically incongruous to slip in a last action while still in the Movement Phase.

Since you decide the order of things in your own turn they could just have written both of it as "at the end of your Movement Phase".
Also since nothing there affects it's Movement Phase they could have easily written the activation into the Psychic Phase or even the Shooting Phase.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La

Post#40 » Jun 14 2017 01:13

An argument could be made using RAW, that the reinforcement restriction does not apply here. The Y'Vahra is not a reinforcement, it starts on the battlefield deployed, and the reinforcements rule says "blablabla, typicaly, this happens at the end of the movement phase, but can also happen in other phases. Being set up on the beginning of movement phase does not fit either "end of movement phase" or "other phases".

HK77
Shas

Post#41 » Jun 14 2017 09:49

Spoke to the staff in my local GW store and they're of the opinion that the y'vahra can move as it comes back on the board at the start of the movement phase. As such it would be able to move as normal.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#42 » Jun 14 2017 12:21

HK77 wrote:Spoke to the staff in my local GW store and they're of the opinion that the y'vahra can move as it comes back on the board at the start of the movement phase. As such it would be able to move as normal.

Honestly I don't trust GW staff at all when it comes to rules. Many don't even play themselves and I doubt they already know all the new rules by heart.

HK77
Shas

Post#43 » Jun 14 2017 12:45

Panzer wrote:
HK77 wrote:Spoke to the staff in my local GW store and they're of the opinion that the y'vahra can move as it comes back on the board at the start of the movement phase. As such it would be able to move as normal.

Honestly I don't trust GW staff at all when it comes to rules. Many don't even play themselves and I doubt they already know all the new rules by heart.

True, but they were quite adamant that the rules on the data sheet were accurate and I wasn't going to argue too much as it's where I'll be playing most of my games. :D

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#44 » Jun 14 2017 01:53

HK77 wrote:
Panzer wrote:

True, but they were quite adamant that the rules on the data sheet were accurate and I wasn't going to argue too much as it's where I'll be playing most of my games. :D

Oh no doubt about the rules on the Datasheet!
However those don't specifically allow you to move/advance after getting redeployed while the core rules say you can't. So they don't even contradict eachother.

Ash87
Shas'Saal

Post#45 » Jun 15 2017 04:00

I just started cackling wildly when I saw that flamer that thing is using. I'd definitely use this over a regular riptide at this point.

Tarnag
Shas

Post#46 » Jun 16 2017 05:52

Ash87 wrote:I just started cackling wildly when I saw that flamer that thing is using. I'd definitely use this over a regular riptide at this point.

I'm feeling the same way. I was so nervous for the Y'Vahra rules since I own two of them, and my 3 Riptides may not leave the shelf in 8th. Obviously depending on points, but if it ends up somewhere around 400pts (which I expect with the 20 power) I'll most likely still run the pair of them in my lists.

The Y'Vahra is my favorite unit in the Tau army because of how fast and hard it hits, and they definitely kept that around, so I'm a happy camper.

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#47 » Jun 18 2017 08:05

Looking at the profile for the Y'vahra, i cant see why there is so much contention about the redeployment rules?

1. If you aren't overcharging your guns (flamer especially) you are insane.
2. Its completely pointless! Your a flying unit, just fly away and keep obliterating stuff until your dead. Removing yourself from the table just to re-deploy outside flamer range is actually a really bad waste considering it costs a wound to do so.
3. The shield invun boost is also pointless.

The only real clarification we need is weather we get one weapon or both. It seems the FW rules team took a huge whiff of glue before writing rules that are PERFECTLY ambiguous...

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#48 » Jun 18 2017 09:24

Tarnag wrote:
Ash87 wrote:I just started cackling wildly when I saw that flamer that thing is using. I'd definitely use this over a regular riptide at this point.

I'm feeling the same way. I was so nervous for the Y'Vahra rules since I own two of them, and my 3 Riptides may not leave the shelf in 8th. Obviously depending on points, but if it ends up somewhere around 400pts (which I expect with the 20 power) I'll most likely still run the pair of them in my lists.

The Y'Vahra is my favorite unit in the Tau army because of how fast and hard it hits, and they definitely kept that around, so I'm a happy camper.

I have one as well and I'm pleasantly surprised at how good it is in this edition. Now all I want to see is Ta'unar stats since that's the only other model of theirs I own.

Vector Strike
Shas'La

Post#49 » Jun 22 2017 05:04

Someone from 4chan has been to Warhammer World and (allegedly) had a peek on the new FW Index: Xenos.
These are the news he shared with us:

They gave rules to the Tau engineering drones - they heal a nearby battlesuit unit for D3 wounds a turn. Might be strong with LoW suits? Idk, not a tau player. The Tau'nar is like 1.2k points now, so closer to a Warhound than a knight - I think that's new?

---

(on Y'vhara point cost)
I *think* it was in the 3-400 range, but I only got a brief look at the tau suits so that might have been something else.

---

Manta Heavy Railgun is heavy 1, S18 (or maybe S16) AP-5 2D6 damage. It also does 3 bonus mortal wounds on a high enough wound roll. I don't remember much else about them, aside from the Tau'nar being around 1200 points as mentioned. Funnily enough, the Orca might actually be worth a look this edition - it's only about 280 points, and holds 65 models - of which battlesuits only count as 2, so 32-suit bomb anyone?

Another guy (don't know if he's the same fella) is posting some news in Dakka Dakka and I've just asked about T'au stuff.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La

Post#50 » Jun 22 2017 05:12

Not sure that was worth posting since the digital version of Forge world xenos index will be availible on 23rd (assuming it will be after midnight UK time, that's in 50 minutes)

Gragagrogog
Shas'La

Post#51 » Jun 22 2017 06:11

Aye, the Y'Vahra costs between 394 and 396 points(incl. weapons which all cost 0).

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#52 » Jun 22 2017 06:47

Gragagrogog wrote:Aye, the Y'Vahra costs between 394 and 396 points(incl. weapons which all cost 0).

Thats a very specific range, where did you get that info from?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui

Post#53 » Jun 22 2017 07:14

Gragagrogog wrote:Aye, the Y'Vahra costs between 394 and 396 points(incl. weapons which all cost 0).

I hope it's 394 points base and there's one wargear option that costs 2 points. That'd be funny.

Vector Strike
Shas'La

Post#54 » Jun 22 2017 07:21

Points costs leaked in dakka dakka news & rumours forum, forge world thread

Return to “General Discussion”