Fresh from Forge World - XV109 Y'vahra for 8th!

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Fresh from Forge World - XV109 Y'vahra for 8th!

Post#55 » Jun 22 2017 07:22

Lechai Skull wrote:Thats a very specific range, where did you get that info from?

You can buy the digital FW index here: http://www.warhammerdigital.com/warhamm ... xenos.html

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#56 » Jun 22 2017 07:41

Warhammer 40,000: Tau Empire facebook group has people sharing info from the books

Lord Mayhem
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#57 » Jun 22 2017 08:23

Just downloaded the e copy of the Index. Overall I'm mixed on it; some things seem like they came out well, others...not bad, but more odd...as if they didn't really look at what they were doing. (example; the experimental pulse munitions rifle on O'Ralai doesn't actually seem to have a pulse munitions shot, just penetrators and EMP)
I'm also not see point values for the tau weapons. Hopefully I'm just missing something.
EDIT: Never mind, the ereader I'm using was just skipping the page.

Maxwell
Shas'Saal

Post#58 » Jun 22 2017 10:12

Gragagrogog wrote:Aye, the Y'Vahra costs between 394 and 396 points(incl. weapons which all cost 0).

The shield generator appears to be another 40.

Edit:or is that just to get 4++ everywhere and not just inside 12"?

Lord Mayhem
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#59 » Jun 22 2017 10:19

Maxwell wrote:
Gragagrogog wrote:Aye, the Y'Vahra costs between 394 and 396 points(incl. weapons which all cost 0).

The shield generator appears to be another 40.

Edit:or is that just to get 4++ everywhere and not just inside 12"?

As I read it the base 5++/12" 4++ is listed as a special rule, not equipment, so is included in the base cost.

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#60 » Jun 22 2017 10:37

Lord Mayhem wrote:
As I read it the base 5++/12" 4++ is listed as a special rule, not equipment, so is included in the base cost.

Correct

Although 40pts to improve your invun by 1 is a terrible waste of points

GeoJag13
Shas

Post#61 » Jun 23 2017 01:31

I bought the digital copy and the only thing you pay for are two support systems. It's shield is already included in the price.

What does everything think the best two support systems would be? Probably ATS and Target Lock? Or is ATS worth it for the extra -1? That would make the Ionic cannon -4 and the Plasma-flamer -3.

VeiledMalice
Shas

Post#62 » Jun 23 2017 01:53

Target lock and stims is what I'd go with. Give it a chance to save some of those wounds and keep it in the fight longer. It's going to take a pounding that close to the enemy.

MKJump
Shas'Saal

Post#63 » Jun 24 2017 06:41

So how many points is it. When they say between 394 and 396 do they mean 395 but are being subtle. Is there a confirmed cost?

Maxwell
Shas'Saal

Post#64 » Jun 24 2017 07:32

MKJump wrote:So how many points is it. When they say between 394 and 396 do they mean 395 but are being subtle. Is there a confirmed cost?

Detective McJump on the case.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#65 » Jun 24 2017 07:52

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Yes, it's <the midpoint between 394 and 396> including weapons, Also some support systems cost more; Multitracker 2*5, Shield generator(the 4+ one) 2*2*2*5, Target Lock 2*2*3, Velocity tracker 2*5.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#66 » Jun 24 2017 09:28

Gragagrogog wrote::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Yes, it's <the midpoint between 394 and 396> including weapons, Also some support systems cost more; Multitracker 2*5, Shield generator(the 4+ one) 2*2*2*5, Target Lock 2*2*3, Velocity tracker 2*5.

I see, my own detective skills were not up to the task!

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#67 » Jun 24 2017 10:29

GeoJag13 wrote:I bought the digital copy and the only thing you pay for are two support systems. It's shield is already included in the price.

What does everything think the best two support systems would be? Probably ATS and Target Lock? Or is ATS worth it for the extra -1? That would make the Ionic cannon -4 and the Plasma-flamer -3.

I used the target lock and ATS in my battles using the y'vahra. The extra pen makes it a monster against vehicles. The flamer is the better of the 2 weapons, so increasing it from -2 to -3 is a huge step.

Pilchard
Shas

Post#68 » Jun 25 2017 03:48

Picked up my xenos book yeaterday and tried a few games out with the new yvahra. Played a list with 2 units of crisis suits with max drones to deep strike in next to it which really worked, i got seized on first game so it died quite quick.

The flamer is brutal against everything even vehicles, the flat 3 damage even wounding on 5's can cause massive damage, i used it on some flyers and destroyed both with the cannon plus flamer.

I run it with ATS and Target Lock, comes to 415pts which is a bit steep but makes its points back by deleting anything it aims at. Got a big game in a few weeks so going to try two with lots of drones.

I wanted to run technical drones along side it but with the 50% chance it working at 32 points to buy a minimum of two i don't know if its worth it.

I know it sounds obvious as well but rerolling 1 3d6 for flamers with a command point is something i did every shooting phase until it died.

Look forward to see other peoples strategies with this.

Raikoh067
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#69 » Jun 25 2017 05:26

OK so I noticed something way off with the Y’vahra and R’varna.

The Y’vahra is 20 power.
The R’varna is 1 power LESS.

The Y’vahra costs as much as people have said earlier.
The R’varna costs 36 MORE points. That's a total of about 60 points more than it should cost given its Power rating.

These two suits don't have wargear options (aside from support systems). They messed up.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#70 » Jun 25 2017 05:34

You really can't translate the Power Rating into Points like that.

But apart from that, the FW Indices feel even more rushed than the GW ones. Lots of stupid mistakes in there.
The most ridiculous one though is the Tiger Shark. His only noteworthy weapon are the two Macro weapons. Unfortunately he will never be able to use those since as airbourne flyer he has a minimum movement and since he's lacking the Titanic keyword himself and doesn't have any special rule that says otherwise, he can't fire with Macro weapons after moving.
Talk about paying 573p for a big and scary looking piece of useless trash. :D

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#71 » Jun 25 2017 07:09

Pilchard wrote:Got a big game in a few weeks so going to try two with lots of drones..

You have 2 y'vahra?
make sure you take you take a cup to collect all their tears...
can you imaging facing a melee army or a LoW unit attempting to charge one. Ok, i'm declaring 'for the greater good'. You take 6d6 plasma hits... and THEN i start rolling for the ion cannon.

I don't actually see this happening. but it would be hilarious.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#72 » Jun 25 2017 06:28

Panzer wrote:But apart from that, the FW Indices feel even more rushed than the GW ones. Lots of stupid mistakes in there.
The most ridiculous one though is the Tiger Shark. His only noteworthy weapon are the two Macro weapons. Unfortunately he will never be able to use those since as airbourne flyer he has a minimum movement and since he's lacking the Titanic keyword himself and doesn't have any special rule that says otherwise, he can't fire with Macro weapons after moving.
Talk about paying 573p for a big and scary looking piece of useless trash. :D

Something just stings about all of this. Personally, I love the Tigershark and XV9s. I was pretty bitter about the Tau nerf in 8th Edition, and I'd waited all of this time hoping that Forgeworld was going to release the silver bullet that could bring Tau back into the fight. XV9s? Only viable for S5 spam. Tigershark? Can't even shoot... obviously it can RAI but it's just another slap in the face that they didn't take our hobby seriously. Not only was their no silver bullet but nearly all of the new units are underpowered or bizarrely-expensive.

Return to “General Discussion”