8th Edition Stealth

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Overheal
Shas'Saal

8th Edition Stealth

Post#1 » Jun 15 2017 11:25

Im a bit late to the party on the specifics for tau, but I was previewing the index the other day at my local store and it looked like a lot of Tau stuff got basically - "streamlined" - I refuse to say nerfed bc I don't want to accept that evil.

For example, now stealth teams appear to be quite a bit more fragile given that they don't have a +3 to cover save as they once did with Stealth+Shrouded. And the Ghostkeel seemed to be more or less this way too. And I assume the Remoras as well. Didn't notice disruptor pods either Am I in the right line of thinking here? How does gameplay feel with stealth units in the new edition?

Vector Strike
Shas'La

Re: 8th Edition Stealth

Post#2 » Jun 15 2017 12:16

Overheal wrote:Im a bit late to the party on the specifics for tau, but I was previewing the index the other day at my local store and it looked like a lot of Tau stuff got basically - "streamlined" - I refuse to say nerfed bc I don't want to accept that evil.

For example, now stealth teams appear to be quite a bit more fragile given that they don't have a +3 to cover save as they once did with Stealth+Shrouded. And the Ghostkeel seemed to be more or less this way too. And I assume the Remoras as well. Didn't notice disruptor pods either Am I in the right line of thinking here? How does gameplay feel with stealth units in the new edition?

This happened to all armies; the index are just stopgap solutions to the edition transition. Our future codex will bring out signature systems, vehicle systems, warlord traits, stratagems and other T'au-only stuff.

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jun 15 2017 12:29

Oh good.

So GW is still GW. Buy a book, then buy another book that replaces that book in a few months. Got it.

Vector Strike
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jun 15 2017 12:49

Overheal wrote:Oh good.

So GW is still GW. Buy a book, then buy another book that replaces that book in a few months. Got it.

People shouldn't be surprised that a miniatures company likes to sell a lot of books! :P

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jun 15 2017 12:59

Overheal wrote:For example, now stealth teams appear to be quite a bit more fragile given that they don't have a +3 to cover save as they once did with Stealth+Shrouded.

Actually Stealth Suits are more durable now. They got +1T +1W and can get a 2+ armor save in cover on top of having a -1 to-hit modifier (even in melee).
They finally don't feel useless anymore.

Overheal wrote:Oh good.

Lol if you believed something else you only fooled yourself. The indices were never meant to be anthing else than a temporary solution. It's not that bad though. We get the rules for multiple factions for only 20€ or so. That's really no cash grab.

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jun 15 2017 01:22

True.

I was really happy to see the new damage system applied correctly with the Railgun :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z_spI5lRdA

Ash87
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jun 15 2017 03:52

TBH, looking at the new Stealth Suite rules, I rolled 2 units of 3 into my army list, when before I only took them if it was a 500 point game. That -1 to hit thing, I saw be a Huge boost to armies during a Tau v. Dark Eldar match I watched a few days ago. Also with suite systems being so much cheaper, I'm okay throwing things on them. Putting a shield on my squad leader, and Targetting systems on the burst cannon guys, because 8 str 5 ap -1 shots at +4 Isn't Half Bad. Kind of looking forward to seeing how they play in a couple weeks.

SergeantHammer
Shas

Post#8 » Jun 19 2017 05:00

Not sure if this is the best place to say this, but do negative modifiers to "To Hit" rolls incur damages from plasma and other overcharging weapons?

Seeing as a "2" would then be a "1".

If this is a thing, then my stealth squads will be just as at home as they were when I busted out the optimized cadre...

thesnailmaster
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jun 19 2017 05:29

SergeantHammer wrote:Not sure if this is the best place to say this, but do negative modifiers to "To Hit" rolls incur damages from plasma and other overcharging weapons?

Seeing as a "2" would then be a "1".

If this is a thing, then my stealth squads will be just as at home as they were when I busted out the optimized cadre...

Yeah it works that way, they discussed modifiers and such in a design commentary released on day 1

link - https://17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netd ... ry-ENG.pdf

Having used stealth suits in a couple of games now, I think they are one of the big winners in the book, them plus homing beacons mean Suits can do some nasty turn 1 shooting / charging

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jun 20 2017 11:18

Promising. Though I do think the turnabout on that modifier ruling is weird: eg. why should a stealth field protecting an enemy (or even passive camo or whatever) cause my weapon to get hot? Trying to see the narrative there! :D

I will need to update this and my cadre thread with my new painted (mostly) OSC but here's a sneky snek pek from our local store's painting competition photo pool. Aside from the local prodigy sweeping most of the categories I did actually place 1st for the Squad category for the OSC - and the people's choice award - which makes me pretty chuffed :)

And my Remora's just came in from ebay so I'm running more stealth than ever now.

Return to “General Discussion”