8th Edition Stealth

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Overheal
Shas'Saal

8th Edition Stealth

Post#1 » Jun 15 2017 11:25

Im a bit late to the party on the specifics for tau, but I was previewing the index the other day at my local store and it looked like a lot of Tau stuff got basically - "streamlined" - I refuse to say nerfed bc I don't want to accept that evil.

For example, now stealth teams appear to be quite a bit more fragile given that they don't have a +3 to cover save as they once did with Stealth+Shrouded. And the Ghostkeel seemed to be more or less this way too. And I assume the Remoras as well. Didn't notice disruptor pods either Am I in the right line of thinking here? How does gameplay feel with stealth units in the new edition?

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: 8th Edition Stealth

Post#2 » Jun 15 2017 12:16

Overheal wrote:Im a bit late to the party on the specifics for tau, but I was previewing the index the other day at my local store and it looked like a lot of Tau stuff got basically - "streamlined" - I refuse to say nerfed bc I don't want to accept that evil.

For example, now stealth teams appear to be quite a bit more fragile given that they don't have a +3 to cover save as they once did with Stealth+Shrouded. And the Ghostkeel seemed to be more or less this way too. And I assume the Remoras as well. Didn't notice disruptor pods either Am I in the right line of thinking here? How does gameplay feel with stealth units in the new edition?

This happened to all armies; the index are just stopgap solutions to the edition transition. Our future codex will bring out signature systems, vehicle systems, warlord traits, stratagems and other T'au-only stuff.

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jun 15 2017 12:29

Oh good.

So GW is still GW. Buy a book, then buy another book that replaces that book in a few months. Got it.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jun 15 2017 12:49

Overheal wrote:Oh good.

So GW is still GW. Buy a book, then buy another book that replaces that book in a few months. Got it.

People shouldn't be surprised that a miniatures company likes to sell a lot of books! :P

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jun 15 2017 12:59

Overheal wrote:For example, now stealth teams appear to be quite a bit more fragile given that they don't have a +3 to cover save as they once did with Stealth+Shrouded.

Actually Stealth Suits are more durable now. They got +1T +1W and can get a 2+ armor save in cover on top of having a -1 to-hit modifier (even in melee).
They finally don't feel useless anymore.

Overheal wrote:Oh good.

Lol if you believed something else you only fooled yourself. The indices were never meant to be anthing else than a temporary solution. It's not that bad though. We get the rules for multiple factions for only 20€ or so. That's really no cash grab.

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jun 15 2017 01:22

True.

I was really happy to see the new damage system applied correctly with the Railgun :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z_spI5lRdA

Ash87
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jun 15 2017 03:52

TBH, looking at the new Stealth Suite rules, I rolled 2 units of 3 into my army list, when before I only took them if it was a 500 point game. That -1 to hit thing, I saw be a Huge boost to armies during a Tau v. Dark Eldar match I watched a few days ago. Also with suite systems being so much cheaper, I'm okay throwing things on them. Putting a shield on my squad leader, and Targetting systems on the burst cannon guys, because 8 str 5 ap -1 shots at +4 Isn't Half Bad. Kind of looking forward to seeing how they play in a couple weeks.

SergeantHammer
Shas

Post#8 » Jun 19 2017 05:00

Not sure if this is the best place to say this, but do negative modifiers to "To Hit" rolls incur damages from plasma and other overcharging weapons?

Seeing as a "2" would then be a "1".

If this is a thing, then my stealth squads will be just as at home as they were when I busted out the optimized cadre...

thesnailmaster
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jun 19 2017 05:29

SergeantHammer wrote:Not sure if this is the best place to say this, but do negative modifiers to "To Hit" rolls incur damages from plasma and other overcharging weapons?

Seeing as a "2" would then be a "1".

If this is a thing, then my stealth squads will be just as at home as they were when I busted out the optimized cadre...

Yeah it works that way, they discussed modifiers and such in a design commentary released on day 1

link - https://17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netd ... ry-ENG.pdf

Having used stealth suits in a couple of games now, I think they are one of the big winners in the book, them plus homing beacons mean Suits can do some nasty turn 1 shooting / charging

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jun 20 2017 11:18

Promising. Though I do think the turnabout on that modifier ruling is weird: eg. why should a stealth field protecting an enemy (or even passive camo or whatever) cause my weapon to get hot? Trying to see the narrative there! :D

I will need to update this and my cadre thread with my new painted (mostly) OSC but here's a sneky snek pek from our local store's painting competition photo pool. Aside from the local prodigy sweeping most of the categories I did actually place 1st for the Squad category for the OSC - and the people's choice award - which makes me pretty chuffed :)

And my Remora's just came in from ebay so I'm running more stealth than ever now.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jun 20 2017 11:29

Overheal wrote:Promising. Though I do think the turnabout on that modifier ruling is weird: eg. why should a stealth field protecting an enemy (or even passive camo or whatever) cause my weapon to get hot? Trying to see the narrative there! :D

I will need to update this and my cadre thread with my new painted (mostly) OSC but here's a sneky snek pek from our local store's painting competition photo pool. Aside from the local prodigy sweeping most of the categories I did actually place 1st for the Squad category for the OSC - and the people's choice award - which makes me pretty chuffed :)

And my Remora's just came in from ebay so I'm running more stealth than ever now.

The narrative is easy tbh. Since they can't exactly locate the target they shoot more often than they should and thus increasing the chance to overheat their weapon. There it is.
Keep in mind that the dice we roll is not everything that's happening on the battlefield. ;)

Nice looking Ghostkeel btw.

Harkus959
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Nov 02 2017 09:45

Hmm, so that -1 to hit means that stealth suits are basically immune to weapons that inflict an additional effect on a 6 (e.g. shuriken weaponry, mortal wounds from snipers, etc.) as the highest number the firing unit can roll is effectively a 5, unless of course, they have a +1 modifier to their to hit rolls.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Nov 02 2017 09:50

Harkus959 wrote:Hmm, so that -1 to hit means that stealth suits are basically immune to weapons that inflict an additional effect on a 6 (e.g. shuriken weaponry, mortal wounds from snipers, etc.) as the highest number the firing unit can roll is effectively a 5, unless of course, they have a +1 modifier to their to hit rolls.

Exactly. There are all sorts of strange effects when you add in to-hit modifiers!

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Nov 02 2017 09:51

Harkus959 wrote:Hmm, so that -1 to hit means that stealth suits are basically immune to weapons that inflict an additional effect on a 6 (e.g. shuriken weaponry, mortal wounds from snipers, etc.) as the highest number the firing unit can roll is effectively a 5, unless of course, they have a +1 modifier to their to hit rolls.

Yes and no
If it triggers an effect on 6+ to hit you're correct a 6 is now a 5 and doesn't trigger
Sniper mortal wounds and others that trigger on a 6+ to wound are unaffected

Harkus959
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Nov 02 2017 09:54

Nymphomanius wrote:

Yes and no
If it triggers an effect on 6+ to hit you're correct a 6 is now a 5 and doesn't trigger
Sniper mortal wounds and others that trigger on a 6+ to wound are unaffected

:P Right, forgot that snipers were on the wound roll and not the hit roll. My bad.

Return to “General Discussion”